Raspberry Pi Is Running Well On Wayland/Weston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by papper View Post
    Why does the RPI needs its own backend? I thought wayland/weston was supposed to be rather hardware agnostic as long as there was support in the graphics driver.

Please enlighten me!
    These two blog post explain why. It's about supporting the hardware specific features of the VideoCore in Raspberry Pi.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
      These two blog post explain why. It's about supporting the hardware specific features of the VideoCore in Raspberry Pi.
      Thank you! I'll give them a read.

Comment

Thank you! I will give those a read.

Comment

That may mean that wayland isn't versatile enough to be supported from driver space.

Imagine every hardware manufacturer doing custom changes to wayland/weston in order to support their specific graphic chips capabilities.

Comment

I am looking forward to a GPU accelerated desktop on the Raspberry Pi. Running an X.org desktop just feels horrible on it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Raspberry Pi is old legacy ARMv6.

I would love to see a single-board computer with ARMv8 and 64-bit.
              Once such chips are available, I'm sure you will see it.
              For now, IFC6410, quad krait.

This rpi stuff is boring as hell. Cheap sure, but in this case, you really do only get what you pay for, which was obsolete even before they came up with the idea. It would be far more interesting if they actually updated the hardware to keep at least consistently far behind the "current standards".

If your objective is running a graphical desktop, rpi is useless. About its only use is in automation/remote control.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                That may mean that wayland isn't versatile enough to be supported from driver space.
                No it doesn't? I mean I guess it could be possible to write kernel wrappers around these platform specific interfaces but that has nothing to do with Wayland itself. The thing is that if you want to take use of hardware specific functionality, you need to support hardware specific functionality. That's true for every display server, compositor and graphics framework.

Imagine every hardware manufacturer doing custom changes to wayland/weston in order to support their specific graphic chips capabilities.
                The idea is that drivers expose KMS/EGL interfaces that Wayland uses but if there's some hardware specific features that would be benefitical for a compositor then it probably should be added, then again that's true for every display server and compositor. NVIDIA will likely never support the Linux KMS interface so similar functionality has to be exposed to Wayland compositors in some otherway hence a NVIDIA backend. I don't think there's anyway to escape that.

Comment

Nope, Wayland is, however, Weston isn't. Weston needs KMS, DRM and such. The rpi driver doesn't provide that stuff. Therefore they added another backend to Weston.

Comment

How are the Odroids doing in the graphics field?

Comment

Wayland is versatile because it is backend-agnostic. You can use whatever backend you want for Wayland and Wayland itself will work the same, it's the backend that needs to be different for different hardware and different situations.

Like, you can have a backend for gpu egl drivers, you can have another backend for software rendering, another backend for some other type of drivers (android drivers maybe)... that's versatile.

Comment

Working...
                      X