XWayland being under active development again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland being under active development again

I've just noticed that XWayland has got some recent development (last change is less than two days ago) in the "xwayland" branch. Apparently it is no longer based on Xorg 1.12 but the current Xorg 1.14.

I've been playing with it for some time in weston running on intel GPU (with driver from xwayland branch) and it seems to work quite nicely. I applaud the wayland developers for doing a great job. It still does have some rough edges and it doesn't seem to be ready for general use though. For example, the windows using XWayland are missing minimize/maximize/close buttons and the cursor changes to the "black x" cursor when the mouse is over such windows.

BTW: does anyone know how to change the mouse/touchpad sensitivity in weston?

Originally posted by stativ View Post
    I've just noticed that XWayland has got some recent development (last change is less than two days ago) in the "xwayland" branch. Apparently it is no longer based on Xorg 1.12 but the current Xorg 1.14.

I've been playing with it for some time in weston running on intel GPU (with driver from xwayland branch) and it seems to work quite nicely. I applaud the wayland developers for doing a great job. It still does have some rough edges and it doesn't seem to be ready for general use though. For example, the windows using XWayland are missing minimize/maximize/close buttons and the cursor changes to the "black x" cursor when the mouse is over such windows.

theres a patch for that far as i know
    will the new Xwayland run games?

Comment

you have a link to the Xwayland updates?

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
        theres a patch for that far as i know
        So far I had no luck finding it.

will the new Xwayland run games?
        I haven't tried any, but it run glxgears. And it had higher FPS than on Xorg with compositing enabled (with compositing disabled Xorg was faster by a few FPS).

you have a link to the Xwayland updates?
        Yes, it is in the original post. Here it is again: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xse...og/?h=xwayland

BTW: today I noticed that the x cursor is shown only when the cursor is over the window decorations, it is correct when inside the window.

Comment

So far I had no luck finding it.

I haven't tried any, but it run glxgears. And it had higher FPS than on Xorg with compositing enabled (with compositing disabled Xorg was faster by a few FPS).

Yes, it is in the original post. Here it is again: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xse...og/?h=xwayland

BTW: today I noticed that the x cursor is shown only when the cursor is over the window decorations, it is correct when inside the window.
          Nice compositing on and its around the same speed as Xorg no compositing this looks really good what Linux you running it on Btw? i use Arch most of the time as a testbed

Comment

Nice compositing on and its around the same speed as Xorg no compositing this looks really good what Linux you running it on Btw? i use Arch most of the time as a testbed
            Arch, too.

Comment

Arch, too.
              Let me know if any games run well on it will you?

Comment

Let me know if any games run well on it will you?
                Sorry, I don't play games much. Why not try it for yourself?

Comment

Sorry, I don't play games much. Why not try it for yourself?
                  will do just have to wait for the week end ill post some videos if all works well

Comment

I've been playing with it for some time in weston running on intel GPU (with driver from xwayland branch)
                    Seriously, how do you guys do this? It hasn't compiled for me in weeks.

xserver with the xwayland branch compiles normally.
                    xf86-video-intel with the xwayland branch:

Code:
                    sna_driver.c:434:2: error: implicit declaration of function ?hosted? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
                      if (hosted() && (sna->flags & SNA_IS_HOSTED) == 0) {
                      ^
                    sna_driver.c:434:2: warning: nested extern declaration of ?hosted? [-Wnested-externs]
                    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
                    With --disable-sna:
                    Code:
                    intel_dri.c:1641:7: error: ?xorgWayland? undeclared (first use in this function)
                      if (!xorgWayland) {
                           ^
                    (note: In ./src/intel_driver.h: there is #define hosted() (xorgWayland))

Comment

Working...
                    X