Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    I am not blaming Intel, they can do what they want. But if the whole community starts behaving like that agains Canonical, there will be no community left. And then people will move back to Windows and Linux will be used by supercomputers, Torvalds and Stallman.
    L O L you are one pathetic stupid crying kid. What's community? If canonical would disappear now who would even notice? Every piece of software you use, except unity and upstart is made by someone else And Canonical didn't even moved little finger to help improve that software.

Comment

In the consumer market Ubuntu is pretty popular. Saying anything else means lying. The Canonical marketing machine works pretty well and for a lot of people, the first contact with Linux is through Ubuntu. If Ubuntu dies, a lot of people will never try Linux. Thus, Linux will be used only by the 3 users left. And when you'll realize that one application that you need to use doesn't exist on Linux you will move back to Windows ASAP. And the dev, realizing there are only 3 users left, will not bother porting. And when one of those users needs some application that is only on Windows, they will move to Windows also. And then there will be only 2 left.... And the cycle will continue, you get it. Ubuntu is mostly a marketing machine to attract devs to port their applications to Linux. The noise they make is good for Linux. But you people don't seem to understand that.
      If there is no Ubuntu, the new user will choose Mint or even Majaro. Someone who want to try linux will choose one of the distributions available, Ubuntu or not. Mint and Majaro are pretty easy to use, just like Ubuntu, but they don't ship crappy DE like unity and they don't ship an Xserver wrapped in a useless layer called Xmir.

Comment

• Sigh, and we already had a good run where people were just ignoring bozley and everything was quiet and peaceful... can't someone ban this shitty troll already?

Canonical = about third of the desktop linux marketshare. If Canonical dies tomorrow, it will cause some amount of trouble: the scenario is that most *buntu-derivatives will either pack up their bags, or rebase - there's several choices to pick from: LMDE, OpenSUSE, Sabayon, Manjaro, CentOS, Debian/sid... any of which can be used as a base to create an easy-to-use, noob-friendly distro. The community might take upon themselves to maintain most of the Ubuntu-packages, and Ubuntu might survive as some type of community-driven distro. The Mint team could also take up the maintainership of the packages, they would have the resources and the incentive to do so.

On the user perspective, most users would move to Mint, etc. or, if Ubuntu would continue as a community-maintained distro, they'd stay on Ubuntu. Heck, some people might even return to use Ubuntu if Canonical went away.

Linux on the whole would remain largely unaffected. As for Mir, no one would miss it.

Comment

In the consumer market Ubuntu is pretty popular. Saying anything else means lying. The Canonical marketing machine works pretty well and for a lot of people, the first contact with Linux is through Ubuntu. If Ubuntu dies, a lot of people will never try Linux. Thus, Linux will be used only by the 3 users left. And when you'll realize that one application that you need to use doesn't exist on Linux you will move back to Windows ASAP. And the dev, realizing there are only 3 users left, will not bother porting. And when one of those users needs some application that is only on Windows, they will move to Windows also. And then there will be only 2 left.... And the cycle will continue, you get it. Ubuntu is mostly a marketing machine to attract devs to port their applications to Linux. The noise they make is good for Linux. But you people don't seem to understand that.

I understand just fine... Ubuntu has very little impact in the "consumer market" aka: deskstop PC market. They have little to no influence in the modile market, and Canonical isn't making money hand over first in the Server Market, either. (Where a certain other well-known FOSS/Linux friendly company dominates and runs a highly successful enterprise.). To claim Canonical/Ubuntu has a large impact / makes large $$$ in any market is utter BS... Who are you trying to kid, kid?

... Ubuntu is mostly a marketing machine to attract devs to port to Ubuntu, not Linux - especially, when you consider their continued divergence from gnu/linux into their own "Ubuntu Platform". (which isn't good/healthy for the larger community / development. Nor does it show any commitment from Canonica to the larger ecosystem). Some of the noise they make is good for linux, some is arguably NOT...and many of their desicions are cetainly not; Hence, why you now see many of the upstream developers, essentially ignoring Canonical <and not even on merging, alone...in many cases, giving zero feedback, as well> or worse; having largely negative things to say... There used to be a time, imo, where generally; people were rooting for Ubuntu to some degree or another, for the kinds of reasons you have pointed out. (much more than the last few years anyway). But that has changed and the negativity and/or unwillingness from Developers / Companies / other 3rd parties to work with Canonical is very telling...

if you want to continue on with your 2/3 users nonsense - go right ahead. But you can't even do basic math, if you really believe that. Millions upon Millions of Linux users / Companies / institutions (which Ubuntu doesn't hold a majority in %), who have invested in linux wouldn't stop using linux, just because Ubuntu flopped... So if by 3 users, you really meant millions of people / businesses / instituations than sure; there would only be "3 users left"...lol

Bottom line: You're a butthurt Ubuntu/Canonical whiner and a bit of a troll. -> Put some ice on your chair, sit on it and stop whining.

Comment

• Originally posted by dee. View Post
            Linux on the whole would remain largely unaffected.
            Yup. Mired in 0.0001% desktop market share. It's amazing to see how most of you out there have no clue -- zero clue -- as to why nobody wants to use Linux. Even enthusiast users are taking a pass.

But I think there is some subconscious feeling of "l33tness" that many of you are trying to protect. Like spending three hours in a command line shell to install a wireless driver makes you feel better than everyone else.

And frankly I'm sick of hearing about how "the community" is constantly "harmed" by Canonical. Hell I'm sick of hearing about "the community" at all. This is not group-think time, people. Everybody in "the community" is motivated by their own self-interests.

Comment

Mint is based on Ubuntu.

You people just don't want to admit the importance of Ubuntu in making Linux usable. When somebody wants to try Linux, they go with Ubuntu first and foremost. If Ubuntu dies it's gonna be really bad. Not saying that there isn't any other distro in the world, just saying that there isn't another well publicized easy to use, somewhat idiot proof distro. And the Ubuntu forums are really useful, you get a lot of issues fixed from there.
              Mist use fewer and fewer parts of ubuntu, and with XMir Mint will be almost separated from ubuntu... It slowly becoming a debian based distribution. Yes, Ubuntu forum helped me a couple of times.

Manjaro claim to be easy to use too

I used to like ubuntu but they new behavour (at about 11.10) just turned me off and I moved to arch. It got an amazing community, arch forums saved me several times too.
              ubuntu is not bad and I still recommend it to newbies, but canonical choice to develop they own ecosystem in a closed wall from other distributions and project have a lot of consequences, including loosing the support from intel's driver, and this will eventually lead me and lots of other linux users to no longer recommend ubuntu as a starting distribution.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Yup. Mired in 0.0001% desktop market share. It's amazing to see how most of you out there have no clue -- zero clue -- as to why nobody wants to use Linux. Even enthusiast users are taking a pass.

But I think there is some subconscious feeling of "l33tness" that many of you are trying to protect. Like spending three hours in a command line shell to install a wireless driver makes you feel better than everyone else.

And frankly I'm sick of hearing about how "the community" is constantly "harmed" by Canonical. Hell I'm sick of hearing about "the community" at all. This is not group-think time, people. Everybody in "the community" is motivated by their own self-interests.
                3 hours installing wireless driver? Are you chimpanzee? Linux is finally gaining some proper graphics stack, please care to enlighten me what canonical did to improve it so that developers could port games/whatever to linux easier? Thanks.
                Last edited by phoen1x; 08 September 2013, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• That's ok. It just means Ubuntu will focus more on ARM hardware in the future with the much more efficient Mir server, and less on Intel hardware. Win-win, the way I see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Krysto View Post
                    That's ok. It just means Ubuntu will focus more on ARM hardware in the future with the much more efficient Mir server, and less on Intel hardware. Win-win, the way I see it.
                    Take off those glasses 'coz you ain't seeing sh1t.

Comment

• ubuntu vs fedora

fedora sucks is simple, response for someone.

i don t care about this decision, intel will support mir in future, the opensource intel devs are only employess, nothing more nothing else

Comment

Working...
                      X