Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    if i remember Linux had the most desktop users back in 2001 4 years before Ubuntu

any one here know what the best part to this is? Linux developers now have a trend of saying F*** YOU!

Gabe Newell Said f*** you microsoft

Linus said F*** you Nvdia

Now intel said F*** You to Canonical

The "Linux community" speaks.

It's all out there in the open, folks.

Comment

People are still talking about CPU architectures in a thread about graphics drivers.

Btw, to the one complaining about AMD's floating point performance. AMD doesn't believe floating point should be done on the CPU, which is why they cut back on FPUs.

Comment

Great move!

What a great move by Intel. This is how sh1t is done. You want your crappy project to work with intels driver's? Fine, DO IT YOURSELF. Yay intel!

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
          What a great move by Intel. This is how sh1t is done. You want your crappy project to work with intels driver's? Fine, DO IT YOURSELF. Yay intel!
          i know one thing i'm buying a intel chip next time around

Comment

I was somewhat surprised they merged it to begin with, but to go ahead with that and then revert it based purely on politics is unprofessional.
            it's obvious they have a stake in Wayland, but they should have made it totally clear to Canonical that they aren't accepting any Mir related patches as a competing project before this point I think. Bad communication is bad regardless of who's guilty.
            I understand their distaste in Mir and how Canonical handled introducing it, but it seems like this is more of a knee-jerk reaction instead of a calm, respectful dispute I'd expect from Intel.

Comment

linux future?

with this type of shit we never will see a real linux distro in the future.. ubuntu is the one distro who really works for all type of people, the others well... no coments

Comment

OMG! I should REALLY start distancing myself from the Ubuntu community

Originally posted by homerhomer View Post
                I guess Intel doesn't want my money. Only the future can tell on which display server ( Wayland, Mir, X?) will become the default Intel has just told the Ubuntu community, don't buy Intel video hardware.
                Fedora next stop! Let's just forget about Ubuntu, shall we?
                I have more reasons for this. Like something called "Ubuntu Unfriendly" a failed project by Ubuntu.

Isn't wayland distro-agnostic. Ubuntu want to go their own way so the Intel devs say like "here are the patches, if you are interested use them to advance your cause, but why don't you support ours which will work well for all distros?"
                Last edited by powdigsig; 07 September 2013, 07:02 PM. Reason: Ubuntu Unfriendly, their failed project

Comment

Originally posted by Bathroom Humor View Post
                  I was somewhat surprised they merged it to begin with, but to go ahead with that and then revert it based purely on politics is unprofessional.
                  it's obvious they have a stake in Wayland, but they should have made it totally clear to Canonical that they aren't accepting any Mir related patches as a competing project before this point I think. Bad communication is bad regardless of who's guilty.
                  I understand their distaste in Mir and how Canonical handled introducing it, but it seems like this is more of a knee-jerk reaction instead of a calm, respectful dispute I'd expect from Intel.
                  who said it was just based on politics and if Canonical was really communicating upstream to the vendors like they claim then why did this patch get removed? far as we know it was a rogue developer who committed it and who says it did not break or gimp Xorg or Wayland? also Mir was fully developed for ARM so they can f*** off but but ubuntu has a huge market share my ass the ubuntu market share is so little it's not funny they're fully bull shitting user into believing they have a huge martket share when really they only have maybe 1/3 of what they claim

Originally posted by powdigsig View Post
                  Fedora next stop! Let's just forget about Ubuntu, shall we?
                  I have more reasons for this. Like something called "Ubuntu Unfriendly" a failed project by Ubuntu.
                  you said it well young padawan
                  Last edited by LinuxGamer; 07 September 2013, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malizor View Post
                    They contributed patches. It's not like they asked Intel devs to develop XMir support themselves...
                    Thats not how open source works. You can not just submit patches and expect upstream to manage changes around them just so you can do your own thing. If they really want upstream to merge them that need to show that they are willing to contribute to the mainatince of the patches too which is something Canonical never does.

Please learn how to read.

RedHat doesn't care about Mir → no problem
                    Please learn how to write. You wrote "It's not like RedHat or other contributors of the free graphic stack." I took a best guess at what you were trying to say.

Intel doesn't care about Mir → potential problem for Intel consumers in the long run (and so for Intel wallet)

So you think that the hardware support should come from the OS vendor and not from the manufacturer?
                    I wonder why Intel is developing any driver then.
                    Intel already offers hardware support for Linux, they even develop a free display server for Linux. So you think a hardware company should have to support every half thoughtout project that anyone comes up with?

Comment

I think its a great move by Intel! Canonical did a lot of shit recently..

- They started Unity, big mistake! First of all, they have to update/patch the Gnome packages all the time, also the amazon advertisments are really creappy
                      - They use upstart instead of systemd, just because their devs developed it. Everyone else uses systemd

all this forking and shit wont help the community, and they have a lot of maintenance burden. And they just stay with the old version if it works, most of the time... Guess its a nice inovation blocker...

No one really uses Unity, Gnome 3 or LXDE is used more widely...

Would love to se a .deb based Distribution with just plain GNOME 3! (maybe mint would be great)

Comment

Working...
                      X