No announcement yet.

Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love RISC competions from '90. To bad they (SGI, DEC, SUN) died. Fierce competition make good inovation.

Comment

Nokia acquisition

Just speculation but this may be related to what happened to Nokia the day before the commit. The desktop market is plummeting. Both Microsoft and Intel are starting to feel this decline. Maybe management of Microsoft and Intel negotiated a secret deal after the merge to make the "Windows Edge" based on x86 architecture and Windows?

Comment

This is such a worthless battle. For one, it's really quite ironic that a community that prides itself on giving users choice is all up in arms about having competing display servers. Furthermore, to dismiss the role that Canonical has had in making Linux better known is just plain ignorance. This is not to say that everybody needs to support what Canonical does, but to lash out and say "you were mean to us so we'll be mean to you" is childish at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Malizor View Post
          I find this move to be quite strange.

AFAIK, most Ubuntu-preinstalled PC sold around the world (eg. more than 1000 Dell shops in China) come with Intel hardware.
          One could think that the business logic for Intel would be to ensure that the future default display server of Ubuntu is fully compatible with their driver.
          If Ubuntu want to use a different display server then its up to them to make sure its compatible not the Intel devs.

It's not like RedHat or other contributors of the free graphic stack.
          Redhat is a major contributor to the free graphics stack please get you facts straight and stop spreading fud.

Intel has commercial reasons ($$$) to support Ubuntu.
          Again you have this around the wrong way. Canonical has commercial reasons ($$$) to support Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by all2well View Post
            Furthermore, to dismiss the role that Canonical has had in making Linux better known is just plain ignorance.
            I dont think anyone is saying they have not made Linux better know, but the point everyone is trying to make is they do little themselves to contribute to the open source projects they depend on.

Comment

[QUOTE=Belial;355749]
              Originally posted by johnc View Post
              Yeah, we've been hearing [from Intel] for years now that Haswell is going to end ARM once and for all.

Let us know how it turns out.[/QOUTE]

Let me know when arm makes Intel go the way of the dodo.

And that article isn't from Intel. It's an OEM.
              How many Intel phones were sold in the last decade? ARM did make Intel go the way of the dodo in low power appliances. Anyway, nobody said that ARM was going to defeat Intel in high performance CPU applications, but they are certainly dominating phones and tablets. The truth is that cheap ARM CPUs have gotten "good enough" to fulfil most people's needs - ie web browsing, email, Skype, movies and games. How many people actually need an i7 4770? I'd bet money that the majority of people buying them in desktops are idling close to 100% for the majority of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by thegeek6 View Post
                I think in this case, it's that AMD's bid was lower, I'd assume. (In reality it will probably always be lower)

Of course I'm still thinking Sony's console will have an advantage.
                Not quite lower, the question was probably "what can you build for around $120, and AMD came up with better spec. But it wouldn't have been possible if AMD's floating point performance were really all that bad, since it just wouldn't have been an option. So what that means is that AMD gives best floating point performance per dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                  Not quite lower, the question was probably "what can you build for around $120, and AMD came up with better spec. But it wouldn't have been possible if AMD's floating point performance were really all that bad, since it just wouldn't have been an option. So what that means is that AMD gives best floating point performance per dollar.
                  Wouldn't that mean AMD outbid intel?

Comment

Originally posted by timothyja View Post
                    If Ubuntu want to use a different display server then its up to them to make sure its compatible not the Intel devs.
                    They contributed patches. It's not like they asked Intel devs to develop XMir support themselves...

Redhat is a major contributor to the free graphics stack please get you facts straight and stop spreading fud.
                    Please learn how to read.

RedHat doesn't care about Mir → no problem
                    Intel doesn't care about Mir → potential problem for Intel consumers in the long run (and so for Intel wallet)

Can you tell me where is the FUD above?

Again you have this around the wrong way. Canonical has commercial reasons ($$$) to support Intel.
                    So you think that the hardware support should come from the OS vendor and not from the manufacturer?
                    I wonder why Intel is developing any driver then.
                    Last edited by Malizor; 07 September 2013, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by timothyja View Post
                      I dont think anyone is saying they have not made Linux better know, but the point everyone is trying to make is they do little themselves to contribute to the open source projects they depend on.
                      if i remember Linux had the most desktop users back in 2001 4 years before Ubuntu

any one here know what the best part to this is? Linux developers now have a trend of saying F*** YOU!

Gabe Newell Said f*** you microsoft

Linus said F*** you Nvdia

Now intel said F*** You to Canonical
                      Last edited by LinuxGamer; 07 September 2013, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X