Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thegeek6 View Post
    I guess you could be right, looking at it though, it seems core for core, it's still pretty tight at multithreading. But lets not forget Power efficiency. or that the 3770K is 3.5GHz, and the FX-8350 is 4.0GHz.

The 3770K is 77W TDP, while the AMD FX-8350 is 125? that's a LOT of power wasted when pushing them.

The Haswell 4770K Claims 84W TDP, and is at 3.5GHz, however, it's still lower than 125W

Overclock the 3770K to 4GHz, and see what happens to the benchmarks then.
    That's TDP though. Actual power consumption is going to show a much narrower difference in practice.

Comment

Time for something new

I wish other CPU Arhitectures MIPS or OPENPOWER to succeed in mobile or desktop space. A MIPS workstation with 8-16 cores 64bit 2-4GHz, modern graphics card 32-64GB RAM at an affordable price (under 2000 euros). I mean standard PC architecture [UEFI, PCI-Express, USB blah blah] but having non-X86 CPU. I'm sick of X86(-64) monopoly or slowness of ARM processors. And of cours Open Specifications well documented for hardware drivers writers.
      A geek laptop with MIPS CPU

Comment

Originally posted by Belial View Post
        You do realize Lenovo is on the brink of no longer making surface rt tablets because the new Intel CPUs are just as efficient and much faster?

I know we're talking a different platform, but this is still an indication of the complete opposite of what's going to happen compared to your statement.

Unless, of course, you were just being sarcastic.

source: http://www.neowin.net/news/lenovo-im...for-windows-rt
        Yeah, we've been hearing [from Intel] for years now that Haswell is going to end ARM once and for all.

Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
          I wish other CPU Arhitectures MIPS or OPENPOWER to succeed in mobile or desktop space. A MIPS workstation with 8-16 cores 64bit 2-4GHz, modern graphics card 32-64GB RAM at an affordable price (under 2000 euros). I mean standard PC architecture [UEFI, PCI-Express, USB blah blah] but having non-X86 CPU. I'm sick of X86(-64) monopoly or slowness of ARM processors. And of cours Open Specifications well documented for hardware drivers writers.
          A geek laptop with MIPS CPU
          Agreed.

The irony of the people here complaining about Ubuntu being "too closed!!!!!!!!!!!!1111" and an affront to the "open" community, while sucking the proverbial Intel knob, is not lost on me. x86 is not an open architecture (like, say, SPARC was) and worse than that, it's not even open to being licensed. Think it through a little bit, guys.

Comment

[QUOTE=johnc;355745]Yeah, we've been hearing [from Intel] for years now that Haswell is going to end ARM once and for all.

Let us know how it turns out.[/QOUTE]

Let me know when arm makes Intel go the way of the dodo.

And that article isn't from Intel. It's an OEM.

Comment

Originally posted by thegeek6 View Post
              Floating point performance with Intel is MUCH better than AMD CPU's.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/450..._i7-3770K.html
              Both next generation consoles are going to use AMD APUs. Given how important floating point performance is to games, it seems Microsoft and Sony are both happy with AMD's floating point performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Belial View Post
                Let me know when arm makes Intel go the way of the dodo.

And that article isn't from Intel. It's an OEM.
                It was Intel that was hyping up Haswell for years. "It's going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread...!"

That article is somewhat irrelevant. Everyone knows that OEMs are dumping Win RT because nobody wants a Win RT tablet. Or any Windows tablet for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  That's TDP though. Actual power consumption is going to show a much narrower difference in practice.
                  now that I did not know.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                    Both next generation consoles are going to use AMD APUs. Given how important floating point performance is to games, it seems Microsoft and Sony are both happy with AMD's floating point performance.
                    I think in this case, it's that AMD's bid was lower, I'd assume. (In reality it will probably always be lower)

Of course I'm still thinking Sony's console will have an advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      The irony of the people here complaining about Ubuntu being "too closed!!!!!!!!!!!!1111" and an affront to the "open" community, while sucking the proverbial Intel knob, is not lost on me. x86 is not an open architecture (like, say, SPARC was) and worse than that, it's not even open to being licensed. Think it through a little bit, guys.
                      Are you trolling or is it a matter of bad text comprehension?

Comment

Working...
                      X