Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
    people use the most commercial produts ofc. ask for a lot a people if they know who kernel uses android... linux needs more commercial use and canonical is the one who do it, red hat gives up many years ago, arch is good but for advanced users, etc etc
    How is Android relevant here? Does the existence of Android, or its use of the kernel, help Linux users? I think you are missing a thing: why should we care.
    I care if it means support for my use cases (which at no point implies smartphones). If it makes my experience on the desktop worse (for example, if it leads to devs having to choose either one platform or the other), I don't care about how many users it has. I mean, yay for Android users, but it doesn't help me at all. How does more users help me? Well, if it gets relevant to more devs, specially in the commercial side (the free software side is pretty much friendly to Linux because it's free), it might help me. Right now, I don't see a lot of devs coming to Linux because of Ubuntu. The most relevant one being Valve, might as well be here just because they want to make their own console, and have nothing to do with Ubuntu. I like to have an easy to use distro to recommend to my friends (and to use myself when I lack the time to properly customize a distro to my needs, as I'm doing right now), too, but not at any cost.
    Also, Red Hat gave up? When? Red Hat is currently making a lot more money than Canonical.

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Did it occur to you that maybe English isn't his first language?
    Instead of answering, just reporting. It was just overly rude. I already reported him, and I'm doubting to do the same with AndreCorreia's answer to him.

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    It's not the 1990s anymore. This excuse held some water in the past, but no longer. You can buy a Dell with Linux. Nobody wants it. There's no market for desktop Linux.
    I was about to make a similar post.

Comment

• Originally posted by dee. View Post
      I just went to a local electronics store the other day, when I was buying new headphones (AKG headphones, great sound quality, comfortable on the head too). I walked past the computer section, guess what OS I saw? In all of the laptops: windows 8. Not a single Dell with Linux anywhere. And I live in the country where Linux was invented, even.
      Of course there's no Linux there. They're not going to waste valuable shelf and display space for something that nobody wants to buy.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Of course there's no Linux there. They're not going to waste valuable shelf and display space for something that nobody wants to buy.
        Ugh, you're almost as bad as bozley. Quit with the circular logic.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
          It's not the 1990s anymore. This excuse held some water in the past, but no longer. You can buy a Dell with Linux. Nobody wants it. There's no market for desktop Linux.
          Could you explain me how exactly Canonical is improving DESKTOP linux? Intel is making linux graphic stack better and when it's done it will attract even more attention. And yes, buying superior computer for entertainment(mostly gaming) and using linux is complete nonsense at least for now, unless you are casual gamer and play some games that have native linux port or work fine with wine, but why even bother eh? That's basically the reason i don't use linux as main OS anymore.
          P.S. anyone knows if pulseaudio or oss v4 supports fake surround sound through headphones aka dolby headphone?
          Last edited by phoen1x; 08 September 2013, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            Mint is based on Ubuntu.

You people just don't want to admit the importance of Ubuntu in making Linux usable. When somebody wants to try Linux, they go with Ubuntu first and foremost. If Ubuntu dies it's gonna be really bad. Not saying that there isn't any other distro in the world, just saying that there isn't another well publicized easy to use, somewhat idiot proof distro. And the Ubuntu forums are really useful, you get a lot of issues fixed from there.

before Ubuntu there was Mandrake/Mandriva that 'made Linux usable'. And Suse. SimpleMepis. And others.

They just hadn't had the marketing dollars, Canonical spent.

Do you remember the beginning of Ubuntu? I do. Lots of noise, lots of hype, ages before the first release was made available. And the media were dumb enough to parrot all those claims, in their typical braindead manner.

Ubuntu was not the first. Ubuntu will not be the last. And the earlier Ubuntards just shut up and get back to reality, the better.

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
              you know Canonical contributed only 0.1 per cent to the kernel you call all these big player bad but they help linux out more then any one will ever know
              you're trying hard to make intel look like the bad guys but Canonical is the one who back stabbed them
              Do you have any proof to backup your claims? Either way that is a straw man arguement. As you well know there is no rule that says you have to conrtibute to the linux Kernel in order to use or distrubute any operating system based on the Linux Kernel and all their code is released GPL3. As for Intel, like your friend Microsoft, Intel is a monopolist that have been fined $1.44 billion dollars for abusing their monopoly by the EU. Not to mention Intel has been found to be abusing its monoply power by the US FTC http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1998/06/intelc.shtm Intel is as bad as Microsoft in the marketplace and I don't think you are fooling anyone actually.

Comment

• Originally posted by dee. View Post
                Ugh, you're almost as bad as bozley. Quit with the circular logic.
                You're the one that argued that there are no Linux desktops for sale because Microsoft is strong-arming vendors to prevent it from happening.

I think it's more likely that none are on sale because there is no market for them.

Comment

• They're selling ChromeOS laptops openly among the win8 laptops here.

Comment

• Of course no one sells laptops with linux, nothing good will happen from it. If your linux'ised brains can process word "business", then you should understand, that windows or chromeos == money, where as linux is free and its no use for companies, plus its not that good, it cant even handle mac notebooks, loool

Comment

• Originally posted by startzz View Post
                      Of course no one sells laptops with linux, nothing good will happen from it. If your linux'ised brains can process word "business", then you should understand, that windows or chromeos == money, where as linux is free and its no use for companies, plus its not that good, it cant even handle mac notebooks, loool
                      Chrome OS = Gentoo Linux fork

Comment

Working...
                      X