Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    In the consumer market Ubuntu is pretty popular. Saying anything else means lying.
    LOL! Go out to town and ask 100 random people what PC OSs they know. See how many say Ubuntu.

Comment

• well..

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      LOL! Go out to town and ask 100 random people what PC OSs they know. See how many say Ubuntu.
      ask in my college, all response ubuntu for you, inclusive the college

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
        i don t care about this decision, intel will support mir in future, the opensource intel devs are only employess, nothing more nothing else
        Funny, it was the bosses the ones to decide not to support, not the devs.

Comment

• ???

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          Funny, it was the bosses the ones to decide not to support, not the devs.
          chris willson is a boss? how much shares he have?

Comment

• This time BO$$ is right, Ubuntu is very important for non-technical people. Canonical should consider very carefully their choices, and intel too.. who is really going to use Wayland? Don't answer "red hat", because 99,999% of RHEL installations doesn't even have a display server installed.

Comment

First, that's not random. Ask people who don't go to college, and see how it changes.
              Most people use Windows. In my college, too. Even when there is a computers science career in there, and most of them either use Windows (and it's not for lack of hearing about Ubuntu or Linux in general), a few use Mac, and the rest are pretty much scattered between Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo, Mint, etc. There are a few chemistry, physics and biology students using either Ubuntu or Arch. My college uses Windows XP on the chemistry/biology/few-other-natural-sciences building and a multi boot with Windows 7, Debian and Ubuntu in the physics, math and CS building.

Comment

• opensource?

finally the called opensource devs took the mask off. opensource is only open when they want, mir is choice for canonical, but the called "opensource community" don t want. (this look stupid and hypocrite only for me?), microsoft don t need help to destroy linux desktop

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  Yup. Mired in 0.0001% desktop market share. It's amazing to see how most of you out there have no clue -- zero clue -- as to why nobody wants to use Linux. Even enthusiast users are taking a pass.
                  That's incorrect, Linux is the most widely used operating system in the world. Just not on the desktop market.

If we're talking about the reasons why Linux has such a (relatively) low share on the desktop, the reason is simple: lack of OEM preinstalls. Sure, you can order hardware from a few specialized stores - system76, ZaReason, Thinkpenguin come to mind - but besides that, if you walk into a random consumer electronics store that sells computers, chances are they're 100% windows machines. And why is that? Because of microsoft partnerships. Microsoft enforces strict monopolistic rules on their partners that penalize them for offering alternative operating systems. Microsoft penalizes OEM's for offering alternate OS's.

As for enthusiasts, I'd like to hear sources for that claim. Plenty of enthusiasts use Linux.

But I think there is some subconscious feeling of "l33tness" that many of you are trying to protect. Like spending three hours in a command line shell to install a wireless driver makes you feel better than everyone else.
                  I think that's rather a strawman argument propagated by Shuttleworth and parroted by clueless Ubuntu fans. No one brags about spending time on command line. Shuttleworth wants to present a false dichotomy where the options are "use Ubuntu and agree with every decision Canonical makes" or "you just want Linux to be hard-to-use elite system where everything requires command line". Neither option, thanks.

Personally, I've never spent three hours on a command line shell installing any driver. The average user never even has to open the terminal, they can stay to the GUI for all the time, no matter if they use Ubuntu or pretty much any other modern Linux distro. Ubuntu is not unique in this respect in any way.

I however do like the command line for its robustness and flexibility: if there's a problem, and I don't know how to fix it, I can duckduckgo a fix, and pretty much just copypaste it to the terminal. That's convenient and something you usually can't even do on windows. The average computer-illiterate user doesn't have to bother, they'll ask their more proficient friends to help anyway when there's a problem. The fact that the CLI is there and allows the option to delve in and learn how your system works on the inside is great. Not as a mandatory thing, but as an option for those who can appreciate it.

I love that I'm now able to compile my own software from source. On windows, trying to learn how to compile software is, with no exception, an ordeal, requiring external tools, which aren't always even free. On Linux, all you need is build-essentials, ./configure && make && sudo make install. And yes, I'm sort of proud that I'm able to do that, however, I've never bragged about it to anyone, or acted like people who don't know how to do it are somehow worse because of it, nor have I really ever seen anyone act that way in the Linux community. In my experience, that behaviour has always been more common among the windows script kiddies than actual Linux hackers.

And frankly I'm sick of hearing about how "the community" is constantly "harmed" by Canonical. Hell I'm sick of hearing about "the community" at all. This is not group-think time, people. Everybody in "the community" is motivated by their own self-interests.
                  Yes, and some people's self-interests include promoting a thriving community.

Comment

• ???

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                    First, that's not random. Ask people who don't go to college, and see how it changes.
                    Most people use Windows. In my college, too. Even when there is a computers science career in there, and most of them either use Windows (and it's not for lack of hearing about Ubuntu or Linux in general), a few use Mac, and the rest are pretty much scattered between Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo, Mint, etc. There are a few chemistry, physics and biology students using either Ubuntu or Arch. My college uses Windows XP on the chemistry/biology/few-other-natural-sciences building and a multi boot with Windows 7, Debian and Ubuntu in the physics, math and CS building.
                    people use the most commercial produts ofc. ask for a lot a people if they know who kernel uses android... linux needs more commercial use and canonical is the one who do it, red hat gives up many years ago, arch is good but for advanced users, etc etc

Comment

Yeah because a college is a great sample of the general public....NOT! The average joe has no fucking clue what "Ubuntu" is.
                      Last edited by blackout23; 08 September 2013, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X