No announcement yet.

Wayland'ized GNOME Shell Gets A Binary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most comfortable and productive desktop developed was NEXTSTEP.

Due to all the inner whining at Apple [I was there] we moved more to MacOS than OS X as it should have been.

We're still not there in productivity use with 10.9. But 10.9 stomps the piss out of any DE in Linux or Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by grege View Post
      Personally I hate icons strewn all over a desktop.
      Likewise... I disabled that feature years ago on Gnome 2, so I'm happy enough with it gone by default in 3. The folder ended up being just a dumping ground for downloaded files, without much real value to me.

Comment

Originally posted by grege View Post
        Most shell haters never get as far as actually looking at the settings or extensions.
        I'm really sick of people calling haters other people who just doesn't feel like using the same thing as them. Why would someone use a DE that needs to be tweaked to fit him, if another one offers the desired features by default, at similar or maybe even better performance? It's not about hatred, it's about tastes. What ones consider garbage, others consider treasures.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          I'm really sick of people calling haters other people who just doesn't feel like using the same thing as them. Why would someone use a DE that needs to be tweaked to fit him, if another one offers the desired features by default, at similar or maybe even better performance? It's not about hatred, it's about tastes. What ones consider garbage, others consider treasures.
          The "haters" aren't the ones who simply don't like Gnome and opt to use something else instead - there's nothing wrong with having different preferences. The "haters" are the ones who can't shut up about it, who react to every Gnome thread by coming in and complaining about everything they don't like, and making dubious claims based on stuff they heard someone else bitching about several years ago.

Of course, that's the Gnome haters. We have no shortage of other kinds, some of which maskerade as Gnome fans, but in reality are just whining trolls who don't like Canonical/Unity, or don't like KDE or Windows or whatever. They're an embarrassment to the developers or to most of the other users, but there's not much you can do about them...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
            The "haters" aren't the ones who simply don't like Gnome and opt to use something else instead - there's nothing wrong with having different preferences. The "haters" are the ones who can't shut up about it, who react to every Gnome thread by coming in and complaining about everything they don't like, and making dubious claims based on stuff they heard someone else bitching about several years ago.
            IMO most are just trolling. Why else go on and on in every GNOME thread. If you're really happy with another desktop environment, you'd use it by now already. This just indicates they actually like GNOME, just are afraid to admit it to themselves. Various other topics might still have an effect (Mir), even if you don't use it. A desktop environment, I don't see it, especially now people could just as well use MATE.

For people thinking about using the Wayland support: Be wary that X does a little bit more than just put Windows on the screen. There is a reason that full support is only expected 6 months from now. The current support will lack various things. Not sure what is still coming for 3.10, but think of things like xrandr (have a laptop and do presentations? :P), input (different input languages) and various others that I forgot about. More people using this will make 3.12 better, just be prepared that it is not perfect yet.

Also good to point out that it adds Wayland support, not something hackish

Comment

Defending Gnome 3 is like an attempt to sell sand in the desert... only twice as futile. Of course, Unity is even worse but Gnome 3 is close, very close. How close? Well, for instance, I hate KDE. I despise KDE. But I were to choose between KDE and Gnome, I'd choose KDE any day.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                Defending Gnome 3 is like an attempt to sell sand in the desert... only twice as futile. Of course, Unity is even worse but Gnome 3 is close, very close. How close? Well, for instance, I hate KDE. I despise KDE. But I were to choose between KDE and Gnome, I'd choose KDE any day.
                GNOME 3 is easier than your attempt at getting a life. Trolling forums? Jeez!

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
                  GNOME 3 is easier than your attempt at getting a life. Trolling forums? Jeez!
                  He just stated his opinion, which was perfectly valid. You are the one calling names and questioning his life. Seems to me that you're in stage 3 right now.

Comment

If you find GNOME 3 uncomfortable, even after giving it a good shot for a couple days, you probably have an entrenched workflow that won't stand up to changing your environment any time soon. And that's fine, so long as you enjoy the environment you have and find it useful.

But for people who are new to computers, as well as people who are more focused on their apps than the chrome around them, GNOME 3 has a very low barrier of entry, I've found. GNOME 3 isn't for everyone, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work very well for a lot of people. And a lot of those people aren't the kind of people who read Phoronix. GNOME is focused on doing the right thing for a neutral observer, any human, not to carry a lot of illogical baggage from the past because it's what some power users expect.

If you don't agree with GNOME's design philosophy, or can't understand why they would want to make things easy and simple for basic computing tasks, leaving the detailed options for truly complex applications, it's time to give up the diatribe. It's nearing 3 years since GNOME 3 was released, and plenty of people love it. GNOME isn't doing anything to combat the use of other environments, so please just use what works for you and alleviate the stress of constantly whining. Or keep doing it, I guess, if you prefer the frustrations of hopeless situations.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
                      If you find GNOME 3 uncomfortable, even after giving it a good shot for a couple days, you probably have an entrenched workflow that won't stand up to changing your environment any time soon. And that's fine, so long as you enjoy the environment you have and find it useful.

But for people who are new to computers, as well as people who are more focused on their apps than the chrome around them, GNOME 3 has a very low barrier of entry, I've found. GNOME 3 isn't for everyone, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work very well for a lot of people. And a lot of those people aren't the kind of people who read Phoronix. GNOME is focused on doing the right thing for a neutral observer, any human, not to carry a lot of illogical baggage from the past because it's what some power users expect.

If you don't agree with GNOME's design philosophy, or can't understand why they would want to make things easy and simple for basic computing tasks, leaving the detailed options for truly complex applications, it's time to give up the diatribe. It's nearing 3 years since GNOME 3 was released, and plenty of people love it. GNOME isn't doing anything to combat the use of other environments, so please just use what works for you and alleviate the stress of constantly whining. Or keep doing it, I guess, if you prefer the frustrations of hopeless situations.
                      Let us know how it works out.

Comment

Working...
                      X