No announcement yet.

Wayland'ized GNOME Shell Gets A Binary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love how nowadays simply stating ordinary facts is considered "hating". I see this in a wide variety of discourses.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      I love how nowadays simply stating ordinary facts is considered "hating". I see this in a wide variety of discourses.
      opinions != facts

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        opinions != facts
        While that's true, stating that GNOME Shell is a turd is a fact, not an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
          They are just mad because KDE is dying now, and they envy Gnome. They can flame all they want, Gnome is moving ahead no matter what.
          You really are sounding like a broken record now - but please do continue, its so funny!

Comment

While that's true, stating that GNOME Shell is a turd is a fact, not an opinion.
            You're an idiot. Before you spoke up it was just a fact. Now it's a well known fact.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
              If you find GNOME 3 uncomfortable, even after giving it a good shot for a couple days, you probably have an entrenched workflow that won't stand up to changing your environment any time soon.
              You do realize that your position is unfalsifiable! right?
              My opinion is that Gnome should've gone after the advanced market of users who create things. The people that OSX used to appeal to. Instead they've targeted an unrealistic group of consumers who are going to increasingly move their primary computing to android/iOS/fxos.
              Again, they needed to create realistic personas to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                You do realize that your position is unfalsifiable! right?
                My opinion is that Gnome should've gone after the advanced market of users who create things. The people that OSX used to appeal to. Instead they've targeted an unrealistic group of consumers who are going to increasingly move their primary computing to android/iOS/fxos.
                Again, they needed to create realistic personas to begin with.
                I agree completely. Developers in the Linux world would be better off targeting the needs of the enthusiast users. The regular joes might come along afterwards if there's enough hype.

But targeting the regular people who just browse and do facebook is chasing after a segment that would never even use Linux, while alienating your primary users. The people in that former group buy a computer and use it as-is. They're not going to buy a system and then install a Linux distro.

Regular folks generally follow the enthusiasts, not the other way around. They're certainly not the trend-setters.

In theory, making something technically superior to Windows really shouldn't be that hard.

Comment

But targeting the regular people who just browse and do facebook is chasing after a segment that would never even use Linux, while alienating your primary users. The people in that former group buy a computer and use it as-is. They're not going to buy a system and then install a Linux distro.
                  Regular users already use Linux through Android invalidating your point. In addition, based on my experience with the public ranging from young to old, all of them have no problem using Gnome Shell.

In theory, making something technically superior to Windows really shouldn't be that hard.
                  Done in practice. Problem is preinstallation and manipulation of consumer desktop market by proprietary companies like Microsoft by hook and crook.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                    In addition, based on my experience with the public ranging from young to old, all of them have no problem using Gnome Shell.
                    The only complaints I have heard from real people switching to G3 (i.e. not random people on the Internet) is "it doesn't look like it used to". None of them have switched to something else, and everyone seems happy about it.

Comment

Are random people on the Internet not real people?

Comment

Working...
                      X