• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daktyl198
    replied
    Originally posted by kigurai View Post
    No
    Joking aside, they are at least not a random sampling of the GNOME users. I am guessing that a lot of the "haters" are not even using GNOME. Because who the hell is so stupid to use a system they hate when they are not forced. And I am guessing that very few people are forced to use GNOME.
    To be fair, I would probably be considered as a GNOME hater by most people here, but I use GNOME almost every release to test the new features and stuff to see if it can draw me back in. Yet, I can honestly say that in my opinion, GNOME 3 is the worst desktop environment for productivity. Hell, even Ubuntu's Unity was way better before 12.04 (11.10 was my favorite version of Ubuntu ever) and 12.04+ only looses because of performance issues (it shouldn't take an entire second to open the freaking dash).

KDE I have no explicit love for either, mind you. It's cluttered and has too much inter-dependence on it's apps and libraries. E.g. if I want to install Konversation, I have to install half of KDE with it. Not to mention that ugly-ass default theme, ugh.
    XFCE uses GTK2, and is suuuuuuper ugly by default. Openbox/Fluxbox are beyond too simple for my personal needs.
    Cinnamon is what I wish GNOME 3 would have been.

At the moment I'm using XFCE with a heavily customized theme only because XFCE is the default on my current distro (Manjaro). But I distro-hop a lot so that may change soon.

NOTE HOWEVER that I am immensely proud of the GNOME team for pushing Wayland support so far so fast. It just goes to show that they have a great team of developers who can write great code.
    They just have a horrible team of designers who push the developers to create interfaces that look like crap. GNOME 3 to me seems like it's saying, "Fuck the desktop, nobody uses THAT anymore! It's all MOBILE now!! Who needs notification icons that change color instead of sending you 100 notifications per second for messages in an IRC channel. We'll just HIDE ALL NOTIFICATION ICONS like the worthless shit it is."

Love ya GNOME devs
    Hate ya GNOME designers

Leave a comment:

• kigurai
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Are random people on the Internet not real people?
    No
    Joking aside, they are at least not a random sampling of the GNOME users. I am guessing that a lot of the "haters" are not even using GNOME. Because who the hell is so stupid to use a system they hate when they are not forced. And I am guessing that very few people are forced to use GNOME.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Are random people on the Internet not real people?

Leave a comment:

• kigurai
    replied
    Originally posted by finalzone View Post
    In addition, based on my experience with the public ranging from young to old, all of them have no problem using Gnome Shell.
    The only complaints I have heard from real people switching to G3 (i.e. not random people on the Internet) is "it doesn't look like it used to". None of them have switched to something else, and everyone seems happy about it.

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    But targeting the regular people who just browse and do facebook is chasing after a segment that would never even use Linux, while alienating your primary users. The people in that former group buy a computer and use it as-is. They're not going to buy a system and then install a Linux distro.
    Regular users already use Linux through Android invalidating your point. In addition, based on my experience with the public ranging from young to old, all of them have no problem using Gnome Shell.

In theory, making something technically superior to Windows really shouldn't be that hard.
    Done in practice. Problem is preinstallation and manipulation of consumer desktop market by proprietary companies like Microsoft by hook and crook.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by liam View Post
    You do realize that your position is unfalsifiable! right?
    My opinion is that Gnome should've gone after the advanced market of users who create things. The people that OSX used to appeal to. Instead they've targeted an unrealistic group of consumers who are going to increasingly move their primary computing to android/iOS/fxos.
    Again, they needed to create realistic personas to begin with.
    I agree completely. Developers in the Linux world would be better off targeting the needs of the enthusiast users. The regular joes might come along afterwards if there's enough hype.

But targeting the regular people who just browse and do facebook is chasing after a segment that would never even use Linux, while alienating your primary users. The people in that former group buy a computer and use it as-is. They're not going to buy a system and then install a Linux distro.

Regular folks generally follow the enthusiasts, not the other way around. They're certainly not the trend-setters.

In theory, making something technically superior to Windows really shouldn't be that hard.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
    If you find GNOME 3 uncomfortable, even after giving it a good shot for a couple days, you probably have an entrenched workflow that won't stand up to changing your environment any time soon.
    You do realize that your position is unfalsifiable! right?
    My opinion is that Gnome should've gone after the advanced market of users who create things. The people that OSX used to appeal to. Instead they've targeted an unrealistic group of consumers who are going to increasingly move their primary computing to android/iOS/fxos.
    Again, they needed to create realistic personas to begin with.

Leave a comment:

• Bucic
    replied
    While that's true, stating that GNOME Shell is a turd is a fact, not an opinion.
    You're an idiot. Before you spoke up it was just a fact. Now it's a well known fact.

Leave a comment:

• danielnez1
    replied
    Originally posted by Honton View Post
    They are just mad because KDE is dying now, and they envy Gnome. They can flame all they want, Gnome is moving ahead no matter what.
    You really are sounding like a broken record now - but please do continue, its so funny!

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    opinions != facts
    While that's true, stating that GNOME Shell is a turd is a fact, not an opinion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X