Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd-Logind Device Management For Wayland

Phoronix: Systemd-Logind Device Management For Wayland

David Herrmann is on a coding spree this summer. His latest set of ten patches this week provide for device management support using systemd's logind service...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This means that wayland itself can be used like a desktop manager (ie gdm) or i am talking BS.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      This means that wayland itself can be used like a desktop manager (ie gdm) or i am talking BS.
      No, it means your wayland compositor does no longer need to run as root.

Comment

Michael,

The patches you linked to have nothing (yet) to do with Wayland nor Weston. They implement device management in Logind itself (systemd), not Wayland or Weston.

Wayland didn't get anything yet, just systemd.

Comment

I feel happy everytime systemd gets shoved down people's throats. it makes the neckbeards so angry.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
            I feel happy everytime systemd gets shoved down people's throats. it makes the neckbeards so angry.
            !! SPOILER ALERT !!Half-Life 2 Ending in HD with GmanVideo details:* 172.67mb* 1920x1080* Highest settings available* Audio: 320kbpsINFOThis is the ending fr...

Comment

Let's hope they never fuck up, you will have to live with it.
              Anyways, as long as this is optional I couldn't care less. If this will become a hard dependency Wayland will have lost for me, simple as that.

Comment

I wonder if there's a reason of putting all this extra stuff into SystemD.
                I mean, if they're also looking for BSD compatibility then this is the wrong way to go about it.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                  I wonder if there's a reason of putting all this extra stuff into SystemD.
                  I mean, if they're also looking for BSD compatibility then this is the wrong way to go about it.
                  My understanding is that they couldnt care any less about BSD. It's linux kernel only thing, and I've heard it described as they want it to be "the userspace kernel"....

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    My understanding is that they couldnt care any less about BSD. It's linux kernel only thing, and I've heard it described as they want it to be "the userspace kernel"....
                    So this is a way to cripple the BSDs by proxy, by having essential future frameworks e.g. Wayland depend on SystemD which is Linux only?
                    Sounds pretty bleak.

Comment

Working...
                    X