Systemd-Logind Device Management For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    JSON is fine, as long as it's formatted sensibly - it's like a slightly less verbose XML. The problem is that it's almost impossible to read when it's not well formatted, and that's by far the more common form I encounter it in...
    Indeed. I don't like XML due to its redundancy. You need to name both open and close tags, while only an open one would suffice.

Comment

• Hey, could someone explain why it's an either-or situation between consolekit and logind? Why is "neither" not an option for Gnome for people with single-seat systems?

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Indeed. I don't like XML due to its redundancy. You need to name both open and close tags, while only an open one would suffice.
        I don't think so. I really hope you're not implying that indentation is actually sufficient to deduce this (hint: it isn't)

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Hey, could someone explain why it's an either-or situation between consolekit and logind? Why is "neither" not an option for Gnome for people with single-seat systems?
          Patches welcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
            I don't think so. I really hope you're not implying that indentation is actually sufficient to deduce this (hint: it isn't)
            No, I'm not. I'm implying that:
            <YourSuperLongTagNameGoesHere>MyValue</YourSuperLongTagNameGoesHere>
            Could be replaced with:
            <YourSuperLongTagNameGoesHere>MyValue</>
            Of course, INI-style is even faster and easier to read than even that:
            YourSuperLongTagNameGoesHere="MyValue"
            Just that it doesn't nest all that nicely. Which could be solved by using { } to delimit nesting, but then we'd have something similar to JSON anyway.

Comment

Works for python.

Comment

Patches welcome.
                This would apply if "neither" hadn't been the state before ConsoleKit was introduced - it took patches to go from "neither" to status quo...

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  This would apply if "neither" hadn't been the state before ConsoleKit was introduced - it took patches to go from "neither" to status quo...
                  It still applies. Once a feature has been introduced, it takes effort to make it optional especially when the common use case is that people who don't use particular features .. just don't use it instead of trying to compile it away especially when the base system provides that feature anyway or when the dependencies are extremely small. Ex: E-D-S by default whether or not you use calendering in GNOME.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    No, I'm not. I'm implying that:
                    <YourSuperLongTagNameGoesHere>MyValue</YourSuperLongTagNameGoesHere>
                    Could be replaced with:
                    <YourSuperLongTagNameGoesHere>MyValue</>
                    Of course, INI-style is even faster and easier to read than even that:
                    YourSuperLongTagNameGoesHere="MyValue"
                    Just that it doesn't nest all that nicely. Which could be solved by using { } to delimit nesting, but then we'd have something similar to JSON anyway.
                    <YourSuperLongTagNameGoesHere v="MyValue" />

You're welcome

Comment

• Originally posted by droste View Post
                      <YourSuperLongTagNameGoesHere v="MyValue" />

You're welcome
                      Yea, but that adds additional complexity, and it's not obvious what "v" is at a glance. Also I haven't seen that being used anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                      X