Wayland Gets Hardware-Accelerated Screen Capturing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    "Intensive" may mean anything, from like 30% GPU load to 99%, define.
    The computer is gonna do less FPS while recording regardless of whether you're using the CPU or GPU for the task.

Hw accelerated capturing is the Right Thing(TM) to do, your computer sucking at a sophisticated game will not make recording thru CPU better, unless in some corner case.
    Doing the stuff on the GPU is better to keep the computer responsive, since if you hog the CPU all other apps are screwed even if they don't use GL.
    hmm why use the same gpu?

Comment

Screen capturing is subject to a second DRM that is usually outside of realm of an usual Linux user - Digital Rights Management. If a new technology will give a better ability to capture perfect digital copies then content owners will fight that system.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivoshiee View Post
        Screen capturing is subject to a second DRM that is usually outside of realm of an usual Linux user - Digital Rights Management. If a new technology will give a better ability to capture perfect digital copies then content owners will fight that system.
        1. Name one reason why we should care? We're not going to make Wayland or Linux on their terms. Linus doesn't add user-hostile DRM features to the kernel or keep away useful features that would potentially offend "content providers", why should Wayland? The very purpose of open source is to enable users and give users control of their hardware and software. Open source is about giving the users tools to do what they want, not crippling them because users aren't trusted...

2. The content providers probably won't care anyway, since they won't be bringing any of their content streaming services (netflix etc.) on Linux either way. This is exactly why they won't do that, too - they will want a platform that panders to their demands, so that if they want to say "we want your OS to be non-transparent and prevent this and that feature because users might use it to violate our IP" then they'll get it - microsoft in particular is far too anxious to pander to their demands and will surely implement whatever "trusted computing" feature the content providers want. The whole point of windows and other systems like it is to provide a platform for passive consumers to passively consume content from the shit chute of hollywood in a top-down model.

3. Which gets us to the real reason of DRM and the "war on piracy" - it's not really meant to prevent piracy, the copyright mafia (hollywood, mpaa, riaa, and equivalents) isn't that stupid, they can clearly see that piracy doesn't hurt their profits so much that spending all that money to fight it would be justified - but their whole existence as gatekeepers is dependent on maintaining the image that they fight piracy, that they protect "IP". A functional internet is a huge threat to them because it enables the funding, publishing and distribution of content without going through them, the gatekeepers. A functional internet is like a huge hole in the wall right next to that gate, and it kinda hurts their attempts to collect entry fees. So they try very hard to cripple the internet, to introduce laws that ostensibly fight "piracy" but really are about stopping new market disruptors - to cripple the internet so that it becomes hard or impossible to publish independently.

Comment

That's very interesting. Can the output be piped into FFmpeg? Since I don't suppose the screen capturing capabilities of Weston include capturing sound.

Originally posted by Ivoshiee View Post
          In terms of perfect quality, it's no different than x11grab. It's the speed that is different, and that is a very important thing for people like me who do videogame playthroughs. And the playthroughs are good for the companies, because it's free advertising for their games.

Comment

@GreatEmerald

Of course the quality is different. VAAPI encoding only does H.264 using the fixed function block, you cannot get lossless recording using this. So forget screencasts and anything else that requires quality or non-H.264 output formats outright (converting from lossy to lossy!). Further, only a single pass is possible with this, dropping quality more.

For games it might be enough, depending on if you need to show text/UIs accurately, but for anything else, the quality of the fixed blocks is not good enough. I always capture losslessly and then later encode at my leisure with the best possible quality.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              @GreatEmerald

Of course the quality is different. VAAPI encoding only does H.264 using the fixed function block, you cannot get lossless recording using this. So forget screencasts and anything else that requires quality or non-H.264 output formats outright (converting from lossy to lossy!). Further, only a single pass is possible with this, dropping quality more.

For games it might be enough, depending on if you need to show text/UIs accurately, but for anything else, the quality of the fixed blocks is not good enough. I always capture losslessly and then later encode at my leisure with the best possible quality.
              Due to the fact that that code is RFC (Request for comments), I guess that the developer doesn't put on top of his priorities to include all possible settings and output formats for the screen capturing.
              To me, it is pretty logical to use some hardcoded values for a RFC demonstration.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
                Due to the fact that that code is RFC (Request for comments), I guess that the developer doesn't put on top of his priorities to include all possible settings and output formats for the screen capturing.
                To me, it is pretty logical to use some hardcoded values for a RFC demonstration.
                It's not about the code, it's about the hardware. The code simply cannot do what the hardware doesn't expose.

HW encoders only happen to do H.264 at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                  In Wayland you can Run a Nvidia GPU intel Gpu or AMD GPU all at the same time so you can use your intel GPU to do the screen cast why playing on your Nvidia GPU
                  Hmm I'm surprised I never thought of that. It'd put PERFECT use to intel's IGPs for those who also have a discrete GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
                    Oh no, gstreamer! Let us add a few more backends, hack everything through phonon. Just make it half-baked and tell people to shift backend if they hit a bug. If you don't add a gazzilion lines of unmaintainable but complex code you havn't a good enough job. It is all about choice mann. Remember to make portable to windows and Blackberry, C++ is a plus. Give the power users CHOICE!!!
                    WTF is wrong with you buddy...
                    Why are you inciting flame-fests in every single thread by tying them all into a over-arching narrative that's a figment of your imagination.

It kills proper discussion/reading, people have to read your conspiracy theories amongst posts that actually focus on the subject matter.
                    Keep your little tribal/political allegiances to yourself, the last thing the Linux/FOSS community needs is tunnel-visioned contributors like you.
                    Many devs in this community happily "walk both sides of the line", the more corrosive devs are nothing but bad for it's longer-term viability.

Excuse me if I don't respond to any subsequent response, my time is precious & I won't waste it arguing with someone who's short-sighted.
                    No subscription to this thread for me...
                    Last edited by jalyst; 24 August 2013, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
                      Oh no, gstreamer! Let us add a few more backends, hack everything through phonon. Just make it half-baked and tell people to shift backend if they hit a bug. If you don't add a gazzilion lines of unmaintainable but complex code you havn't a good enough job. It is all about choice mann. Remember to make portable to windows and Blackberry, C++ is a plus. Give the power users CHOICE!!!
                      Your "stupid" is creeping out.

Comment

Working...
                      X