Wayland & Weston 1.2.1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    None of them stated any upcoming port to either Wayland or Mir (I do hope they will support Wayland, eventually), and you should know porting the toolkit doesn't port the DEs. It just ports the apps, and specifically those not using any X specifics. Anything using directly X (which all window managers do, because there's no workaround it) needs to be ported manually.
    Not exactly true although not exactly false, either. I don't know about GTK, but Qt 5 provides Wayland compositor classes that make it much easier for DE's to write Wayland compositors. So although porting to Qt 5 will not give automatic support, it will make the porting much easier.

That is assuming LXDE doesn't switch to using Kwin. The modularization of frameworks 5 should make this possible, but who knows whether the LXDE camp has any interest.

Comment

Wayland needs todo more frequent releases to get new stuff out quicker.
      I think Mir gets updated every week?

Originally posted by beaverusiv View Post
      How long until I can run without X? (I know it depends on what progs I use, let's say WINE and firefox)
      Firefox is getting ported from GTK2 to GTK3.
      There are some bugs/issues remaining:
      https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627699 [Port GTK2 to GTK3]
      https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=635134 [Make Firefox work as well with Wayland (without X) as with just X]

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Wayland needs todo more frequent releases to get new stuff out quicker.
        I think Mir gets updated every week?
        Mir seems (i repeat seems) to be more focused on getting things done because canonical cares a bit more about the desktop. On the wayland front most contributions (see the latest release) come from intel and samsund and i bet they focus on tizen. At least thats my feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          Mir seems (i repeat seems) to be more focused on getting things done because canonical cares a bit more about the desktop. On the wayland front most contributions (see the latest release) come from intel and samsund and i bet they focus on tizen. At least thats my feeling.
          for the 34848578948937348973498734th time Wayland as Wayland client protocol is ready since some time ago and since some time ago wayland is on tackle the weird scenarios and bug fixing because is freezed for god sakes, wayland is on porting stage

Mir is close to wayland 2010[0.20ish], it has more activity because is very very alpha and it miss a bazillion features that wayland have since ages ago so of course have more commits activity DUH!!!. is on heavy development.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
            for the 34848578948937348973498734th time Wayland as Wayland client protocol is ready since some time ago and since some time ago wayland is on tackle the weird scenarios and bug fixing because is freezed for god sakes, wayland is on porting stage

Mir is close to wayland 2010[0.20ish], it has more activity because is very very alpha and it miss a bazillion features that wayland have since ages ago so of course have more commits activity DUH!!!. is on heavy development.
            Amen!

...seriously

Comment

not to mention that a lot of the wayland development work has been around mesa, drm/kms, libxkbcommon and similar - making it possible to actually write and use a non-x11 window system at all. mir reuses all of this work, which is odd as mark's so happy to go around saying we've done nothing for the past five years; you'd think he'd at least have the common decency to not rely heavily on all our work then. oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
                not to mention that a lot of the wayland development work has been around mesa, drm/kms, libxkbcommon and similar - making it possible to actually write and use a non-x11 window system at all. mir reuses all of this work, which is odd as mark's so happy to go around saying we've done nothing for the past five years; you'd think he'd at least have the common decency to not rely heavily on all our work then. oh well.
                yeah he is kinda a douche and/or completely uninformed and the fanbois groopies that follow him have even less knowledge than him, classic religious nutjobs ...

Comment

If its "ready" why i still have X on my desktop. Oh wait its not ready for that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    If its "ready" why i still have X on my desktop. Oh wait its not ready for that yet.
                    Wayland is ready. DE are not and they actively make the transition.

Mir is just... not ready... Oh wait! We can run Xorg in mir to make work a DE!!! OMGZ!!! Mir is out way before wayland!!!!11!!

No, just no

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
                      Wayland is ready. DE are not and they actively make the transition.
                      So you tell me that the minimizing thing that is missing from the core protocol is just a lie.

Comment

Working...
                      X