Mir 0.0.9 Display Server Fixes Lag, VT Switching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    Read what you quoted. It says they have no reason to, and that's true.
    That's not the case, LinuxGamer has only been spreading poorly written misinformation, in fact it's hard to make any statement out of that incoherent post.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
      That's not the case, LinuxGamer has only been spreading poorly written misinformation, in fact it's hard to make any statement out of that incoherent post.
      here let me fix it for you

I Said "There" "is" "100%" "No" "Point" "For" "Valve" "To" "Support" "Mir" "or" "Wayland" "as" "Games" "Will" "Work" "Just" "Fine" "On" "Xwayland" "Once" "it" "is" "Ready"

Independent, ad-free, uncensored comedy. Watch new episodes of Dimension 20, Um, Actually, Game Changer every week.

Comment

While I don't agree with Linuxgamer in any way shape or form..... I'm leaning towards the notion that valve will stick with Xorg via XWayland/XMir for at least 1-3 years before migrating to native Wayland or Mir support. Seems like a huge amount of work to switch display drivers when they JUST added Xorg support. They may not be very friendly to that. I wouldn't if I were them, that's alot of wasted money for a small platform like linux is (I'm not putting linux down, just stating the truth, we're small...)

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          Win what, exactly? Phoronix forum flamewars? Seems pretty silly to me.
          Funny, the only way to winning move in this game is to not play.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            It's not FUD. Everything he said is true, and there are several articles on Phoronix that support his claims. Games are supposed to work out of the box with XMir/XWayland, so it's true that there's nothing mandating any port. However, I think native support would imply a slight performance win and would be cleaner, since that's one of the reasons to drop X; using SDL should do the work to avoid XWayland/XMir anyway.
            And 13.10 will be XMir, and 14.04 too, according to Canonical. So, not FUD at all.
            Just to Point out Xwayland will be around for a really long time maybe 5+ years and will run rootless so there is no reason for any one "but" DE's Developers and GPU Drivers Developers to Support Wayland. why move Development Away from the Well Known Xorg server when most everyone is using it. so as of now or even 5 Years down the Road you will maybe see Wayland Supporting X app's if Xmir is around then it will be the same for Mir

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
              He was stating that Steam would not be supporting Mir, I want to see some citations based on that accusation.
              Speaking of Wayland support for SDL, Ryan Gordon and Kristian H?gsberg confirmed via Twitter that the external Wayland-SDL branch will hopefully be merged soon and this Wayland back-end could very well premiere in SDL 2.0.1.
              (Source: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQzNjU )

So SDL will support Wayland before Mir. The maintainer of SDL works for Valve. So it doesn't seem Valve is that interrested in Mir...

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                Just to Point out Xwayland will be around for a really long time maybe 5+ years and will run rootless so there is no reason for any one "but" DE's Developers and GPU Drivers Developers to Support Wayland. why move Development Away from the Well Known Xorg server when most everyone is using it. so as of now or even 5 Years down the Road you will maybe see Wayland Supporting X app's if Xmir is around then it will be the same for Mir
                New apps (after major desktops migrate) should probably use directly Wayland (in the case they don't use a toolkit). As for porting already existent ones, they can take their sweet time, and that's probably the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  The current Ubuntu 13.10 daily live cd.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/
                  Mir isnt switched on by default yet with daily iso

sudo apt-get update
                  sudo apt-get install mir-demos unity-system-compositor

ps ax | grep "unity"

If "unity-system-compositor" is seen mir is running
                  If you don't and are using proprietary drivers the fall back to x worked

Comment

Working...
                  X