Mir 0.0.9 Display Server Fixes Lag, VT Switching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CFarris View Post
    To be fair, Wayland hasn't gotten much further by that score. The best we have so far are nVidia working on EGL drivers, which would work for both (in theory).

13.10 has an Xorg fallback, so the binary drivers will be fine for that. It's getting taken out in 14.04, though.
    The fallback is actually a "feature" in LightDM. It'll work on any distro that has Mir. If unity-system-compositor decides to crash or fail in some way, LightDM will automatically spawn Xorg. Unfortunately, this doesn't always work properly and sometimes LightDM ends up crashing too.

EDIT: That's how the proprietary drivers are handled; crash unity-system-compositor and launch Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$
      You can't argue with facts.
      Hearing that from a person that refuses to back up any of his claims with facts is quite ironic, don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
        If they are going with Mir in 13.10, what of the much-hyped Ubuntu/Valve union? Will Steam gamers have to swap Mir out for xorg if they are running 13.10 or later or will Valve only support 12.04 to 13.04 until Mir gets binary drivers for the green and red teams GPUs?
        I only used one Steam game on Ubuntu, Portal, but it works OK with R600g. Anyway, I would rather use directly X.org instead of XMir.

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        No, they won't be using Mir in 13.10, they'll use XMir, which is the same X.org, just also with an additional layer on it. They'll use Mir only in 14.10 once it gets the ability to actually run something.
        Fixed. 14.04 just drops pure X.org as fallback, but keeps using XMir.

Not really. They're working on minor things, marketing them as major advancements. They still don't have the fullscreen optimisations they were talking about for quite a while now...
        You mean compositing bypassing, don't you?

Originally posted by chenxiaolong View Post
        The fallback is actually a "feature" in LightDM. It'll work on any distro that has Mir. If unity-system-compositor decides to crash or fail in some way, LightDM will automatically spawn Xorg. Unfortunately, this doesn't always work properly and sometimes LightDM ends up crashing too.

EDIT: That's how the proprietary drivers are handled; crash unity-system-compositor and launch Xorg.
        Yes, but it needs to be installed, and it won't by default in 14.04.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          Fixed. 14.04 just drops pure X.org as fallback, but keeps using XMir.
          Oh, right, thanks.

You mean compositing bypassing, don't you?
          Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
            there is 100% no point in Valve supporting Mir at all or even Wayland as games will run fine on Xwayland once it gets fully coded

Ubuntu 13.10 will be Xmir not Mir
            Do you have any citations for these claims or are you just spreading poorly written FUD as usual?

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
              Do you have any citations for these claims or are you just spreading poorly written FUD as usual?
              It's not FUD. Everything he said is true, and there are several articles on Phoronix that support his claims. Games are supposed to work out of the box with XMir/XWayland, so it's true that there's nothing mandating any port. However, I think native support would imply a slight performance win and would be cleaner, since that's one of the reasons to drop X; using SDL should do the work to avoid XWayland/XMir anyway.
              And 13.10 will be XMir, and 14.04 too, according to Canonical. So, not FUD at all.

Comment

It's not FUD. Everything he said is true, and there are several articles on Phoronix that support his claims. Games are supposed to work out of the box with XMir/XWayland, so it's true that there's nothing mandating any port. However, I think native support would imply a slight performance win and would be cleaner, since that's one of the reasons to drop X; using SDL should do the work to avoid XWayland/XMir anyway.
                And 13.10 will be XMir, and 14.04 too, according to Canonical. So, not FUD at all.
                He was stating that Steam would not be supporting Mir, I want to see some citations based on that accusation.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                  He was stating that Steam would not be supporting Mir, I want to see some citations based on that accusation.
                  Read what you quoted. It says they have no reason to, and that's true.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$
                    of course I want to see them winning.
                    Win what, exactly? Phoronix forum flamewars? Seems pretty silly to me.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      Win what, exactly? Phoronix forum flamewars? Seems pretty silly to me.
                      Well, you know... you take pride where you can...

Comment

Working...
                      X