Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
    If by best, you mean worst, sure.
    Honestly, why should "lost" space be left unused ?

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
      Honestly, why should "lost" space be left unused ?

No need for CSD?

Comment

If you check my posts, you will see that the only mention of CSD / SSD I did was to ask what the difference was about I really don't care about it, I just want my desktop to have a uniform look, and my tablet to have a uniform look, and my phone to have a uniform look. I don't even care if these looks are not the same.

Comment

If you check my posts, you will see that the only mention of CSD / SSD I did was to ask what the difference was about I really don't care about it, I just want my desktop to have a uniform look, and my tablet to have a uniform look, and my phone to have a uniform look. I don't even care if these looks are not the same.
          If you really want a uniform look, SSD is the simplest way, since app programmers (the ones more likely to f*ck up things) don't have to care about decorations at all.

Comment

Yes but nowadays everybody uses a toolkit like Qt / GTK / FLTK / ..., isn't it ? Apart from some folks in some famous video game company
            I hate the Steam looks so much xD

Comment

Yes but nowadays everybody uses a toolkit like Qt / GTK / FLTK / ..., isn't it ? Apart from some folks in some famous video game company
              I hate the Steam looks so much xD
              Then that doesn't change a bit. So, yes, we have it out of the compositor, but it's still not the app deciding how the decoration will look. Also, no, not *everybody* uses the toolkit. And as long as using a toolkit is optional, there will be client apps not using a toolkit and having to care about decorations in a CSD model. There will always be some cases where using a toolkit makes no sense. And again, cases where CSD imply a meaningful feature are corner cases, so it makes more sense to me to have a switch the actual application has to set to use CSD, and by default use just SSD so everyone else doesn't have to care. I think a bit more complexity on an inherently complex part of the stack makes sense if that makes simpler to code every other app you use.

Comment

brilliant, another csd vs. ssd argument where not one person actually brings up the real, compelling, reasons for csd.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
                  brilliant, another csd vs. ssd argument where not one person actually brings up the real, compelling, reasons for csd.
                  Could you list them or point where those are explained?

Comment

What's wrong with offering the option for either like it is now?

Why should it be forced either way? Here's a brilliant idea: let the client decide. Default to CSD, but if the client wants to use SSD, it can just request the compositor to "draw me a simple decoration". Everybody wins.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
                      I watched the Wayland talk from last year's X conference. The ?compelling? reason given for CSD was:
                      When you rotate a window, you won't get a single jagged pixel line between titlebar and window content.

But the reality is:
                      No one rotates windows and even if one did, nobody would care about a single line of pixels.

Comment

Working...
                      X