No announcement yet.

GNOME Display Settings Now Working On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mir would be a lot more interesting if it actually did something useful at this point. Right now with XMir all Mir does is pretty much compositing. Everything else is handled by the X Server. The graphics drivers are all X drivers in just about the same manner as if you were running a X display server. The input is all managed by X. Mode setting is handled by X. About the only thing that Mir does at this point is just do compositing and the way they do it causes a performance drop.

Wayland at this point is much more complete. You can do acceleration, mode setting, input control, and have native apps, all through Wayland. The API is nearing completion and in another year or so you'll be able to run KDE and Gnome desktops on it without much effort. It even has color management features.

Wayland appears to be much more feature complete and is certainly targeting normal Linux users while Mir is more focused on Canonical's efforts with phones and tablets. I think this reflects the nature of the two projects. Wayland is started and is being worked on by the same group of people that have been working on the Linux graphics stack for many years now. It's more widely accepted then Mir and has the support of the major desktop environments in Linux while Mir does not. Mir, on the other hand, appears to be comprised mainly of Canonical employees with no or little prior display server experience.

It would be fantastic if Mir materialized into something useful. Especially for the tablets and phone markets. It would be nice to be able to finally buy a 'proper' linux phone rather then to hack GNU style environments into Android.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      I think it is very related. Gnome goes ahead and show how much could be done in half of a release cycle. Not only related to having rendering based on the wayland protocol but also all the general work for X replacement. Gnome's swift response shows how much engineering power they have. Having a preview prepared like this is truly remarkable. I liked Gnome before this, but seeing Gnome's plan unfold like this is amazing. Im sure some Gnome people have worked VERY hard. Im glad KDE said no to MIR as well, even burning some bridges. But Gnome's response is a slap on Mark's face. This is personal

Gnome 3.10 probaly turned out to be much different than anticipated. Maybe not better, but different.
      At this point Chrome OS has a more functional desktop than GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
        Actually in his latest post about CSD Martin Gr??lin did admit that there are benefits to both approaches and suggested that there should be a protocol between the server and the client to negotiate if CSD should be used or not. I think with such a protocol it should be possible to

- have an option to enforce SSD globally for every application (e.g. for systems like plasma active where you don't want any window decorations at all or if you really don't like CSD)
        There had better be, CSD can rot in hell

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          At this point Chrome OS has a more functional desktop than GNOME.
          What the fuck is your problem? You sound like a broken record and make about as much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            I'm confused why you brought the Mir camp into this...... entirely unrelated to this article.
            He's trolling.
            Look it up if you don't know what trolling is.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              And if only GNOME was usable it would actually be relevant.
              I have Gnome on my Ubuntu laptop, and I also have Gnome on my media center box, which happens to be a Mac mini but I just found Gnome to be more usable than Mac OS so I installed Ubuntu with Gnome on it. I hope this doesn't hurt your feelings.

Back to the subject: good progress coming from Wayland and Gnome. Day after day Canonical's decision to start Mir seems more and more like a wrong decision.

Comment

First step would be for everyone to agree about CSD. There might be a DE out there who deny the developers the ability to make feature rich apps. This is based on an assumption that the developers are too stupid to do good design.

Ps. Gnome does CSD and does design work on core apps and the shell. So the blame goes some where else.
                Decorations == feature rich?
                AFAIK, decorations are just this border around the window, with the minimize, maximize, close and maybe roll up/down buttons.
                Also, remember when a lot of people said "Linux is ugly and inconsistent"? Well, that's those days again, if you mandate it. Enabling it is an option, but using server side decorations by default is the way to go, IMO, and that's one of the few things I do like about KDE.

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
                So, they have intentionally thrown out as much functionality as possible. And THIS has been WIP for >5y? LOL
                Do you understand what 'default' means?
                Also, yes, they intentionally thrown out as much functionality as possible, and that's because the kitchen sink approach has been proved wrong with X.

Originally posted by drag View Post
                Mir would be a lot more interesting if it actually did something useful at this point. Right now with XMir all Mir does is pretty much compositing.
                The only compositing it does, should be bypassed, so it's basically useless. Remember all of the useful bits are happening INSIDE the fullscreen X window, and the composition handled by Mir is OUTSIDE this, and only leads to a performance hit (and supposedly, less tearing in some cases, but that tearing should be considered a driver bug anyway).

It would be fantastic if Mir materialized into something useful. Especially for the tablets and phone markets. It would be nice to be able to finally buy a 'proper' linux phone rather then to hack GNU style environments into Android.
                Jolla, Wayland, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  I have Gnome on my Ubuntu laptop, and I also have Gnome on my media center box, which happens to be a Mac mini but I just found Gnome to be more usable than Mac OS so I installed Ubuntu with Gnome on it. I hope this doesn't hurt your feelings.

Back to the subject: good progress coming from Wayland and Gnome. Day after day Canonical's decision to start Mir seems more and more like a wrong decision.
                  Given that OS X is not only using an 70s era GUI design (sure they chromed it up but it really hasn't actually been changed since they RE'd the GUI Xerox created), but it's intentionally set up to be the least user friendly thing possible (I mean seriously GUID Filenames by default for pictures that have been taken!?) that's not exactly saying much at all.

Comment

Mir would be a lot more interesting if it actually did something useful at this point. Right now with XMir all Mir does is pretty much compositing. Everything else is handled by the X Server. The graphics drivers are all X drivers in just about the same manner as if you were running a X display server. The input is all managed by X. Mode setting is handled by X. About the only thing that Mir does at this point is just do compositing and the way they do it causes a performance drop.
                    Actually, no. Under XMir, Mir doesn't even do compositing, because the only thing running is a single full-screen surface that's being driven by the X drivers. So in fact, you're *overstating* what Mir does... at this point, it's basically just acting as a thin pass-thru layer...

Comment

What if I want to have a progress bar in my title bar?
                      The indicator spec would have supported this in a consistent manner, but we all know what happened there.

CSD is like prometheus' fire, yes. We can make good or bad of it. The nice part is we decide. Respecting HIGs, Theming and design guidelines are a good way to do it, Gnome proved this.
                      Yeah, Gnome is so good at respecting others' theming.

Or are you saying that app developers shouldn't have the right to decide and features must be done away with? That is sweet irony, I think. Gnome wants flexibility and features, KDE wants to be locked down.
                      You have that exactly backwards. Gnome is the one trying to decide that app developers have to do away with certain features and do things exactly the same way. KDE wants sensible defaults, but allows applications to override them (just as they do right now).

Comment

Working...
                      X