GNOME Display Settings Now Working On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    It would be cool if once in a while, people agreed to a damn standard, and would not make endless variations around it that causes so much code duplication between different projects...
    Obviously one needs to adapt an X11 protocol to make it work on Wayland?

Comment

It would be cool if once in a while, people agreed to a damn standard, and would not make endless variations around it that causes so much code duplication between different projects...
      And it was so easy to get Application Indicators to be universally accepted.... Oh wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
        Ignoring these facts requires systematic denial.
        Which is something you know really well.

It's good that GNOME are moving along with their Wayland support, maybe they could have a look at usability too.

Comment

First step would be for everyone to agree about CSD. There might be a DE out there who deny the developers the ability to make feature rich apps. This is based on an assumption that the developers are too stupid to do good design.

Ps. Gnome does CSD and does design work on core apps and the shell. So the blame goes some where else.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a CSD ?

Comment

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a CSD ?
            Client Side Decoration.
            It means that the window's decoration are applied by the client and then the client sends to the server only the final image to compose on screen.
            The other approach is the Server Side Decoration, where the client sends only the windows and the server take care to apply the decoration and then compose the final image on screen.
            Wayland is a minimal display server, so minimal that they have choice to put out the decoration management from the compositor by default, but you can use SSD if you need it, just is not the default scenario (think about particular scenarios like the In-Vehicle Infotainment).

I'm very interested to try gnome with wayland asap!

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
              Client Side Decoration.
              It means that the window's decoration are applied by the client and then the client sends to the server only the final image to compose on screen.
              The other approach is the Server Side Decoration, where the client sends only the windows and the server take care to apply the decoration and then compose the final image on screen.
              Wayland is a minimal display server, so minimal that they have choice to put out the decoration management from the compositor by default, but you can use SSD if you need it, just is not the default scenario (think about particular scenarios like the In-Vehicle Infotainment).

I'm very interested to try gnome with wayland asap!
              So, they have intentionally thrown out as much functionality as possible. And THIS has been WIP for >5y? LOL

Comment

First step would be for everyone to agree about CSD. There might be a DE out there who deny the developers the ability to make feature rich apps. This is based on an assumption that the developers are too stupid to do good design.
                Actually in his latest post about CSD Martin Gr??lin did admit that there are benefits to both approaches and suggested that there should be a protocol between the server and the client to negotiate if CSD should be used or not. I think with such a protocol it should be possible to

- have an option to enforce SSD globally for every application (e.g. for systems like plasma active where you don't want any window decorations at all or if you really don't like CSD)
                - allow CSD for applications that want to use it
                - have an option to choose between CSD and SSD for all the applications that use CSD individually (hopefully)

I think this would be the perfect solution. The only downside would be that applications that use CSD for additional functionality would have to implement it somewhere else if the system tells them not to use CSD.

Comment

And no. KDE can not come back in a few years time and complain when they finally target Wayland. Plasma Active was no more than a advertisement code for Qt's "write once, deploy everyehere". Such NIH stuff is disqualified. Wayland is about Linux input and rendering done right, NOT Qt's sales gimmick.
                  So frow what I understand from your post, it seems that it would be hard to have a single interface that could handle both traditional, desktop-like apps and "modern-UI / smartphone-style" fullscreen apps, or did I understood bad ? What is broken according to you in plasma active and how do you think it should change without modifying the UI of plasma active ?

Comment

So frow what I understand from your post, it seems that it would be hard to have a single interface that could handle both traditional, desktop-like apps and "modern-UI / smartphone-style" fullscreen apps, or did I understood bad ? What is broken according to you in plasma active and how do you think it should change without modifying the UI of plasma active ?
                    Honton is a Gnome troll. Don't expect any real answers from him. Just ignore him: http://phoronix.com/forums/profile.p...ignore&u=73217

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
                      Actually in his latest post about CSD- have an option to choose between CSD and SSD for all the applications that use CSD individually (hopefully)
                      With Qt applications the method of how to implement window decorations is already optional. PW2 will set them to off and KWin 5 will handle them.
                      According to http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMyMDY CSD with GTK3 are optional as well at least under non-Wayland environments. Not sure about Wayland, though, but I think the Gnome devs are not that stupid and make CSD optional under Wayland as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X