Orbital: A New Shell For Wayland's Weston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
    Maybe some video cards can encode video directly from buffers?
    I also suppose the issues are mostly the same when doing remote display?
    I haven't heard of any recent video cards supporting vp8 natively, so you'd have to implement it in OpenCL,
    assuming your driver supports cl_khr_gl_sharing for CL GL interop.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
      You still forgot a) the cost of VRAM->RAM transfers (as was already mentioned)
      No, that's why I was talking about the timestamps: Use them to re-arrange the frames after they all landed on the HDD (the recording is over).
      and b) the computational cost of encoding high resolution video in real time.
      So why do it in real time? First record all frames, then encode them to a video.

Anyway, it was just a question.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
        No, that's why I was talking about the timestamps: Use them to re-arrange the frames after they all landed on the HDD (the recording is over).

So why do it in real time? First record all frames, then encode them to a video.

Anyway, it was just a question.
        As raw frame data? At 30fps 1080p, that's 237MB per second. Almost 100GB in just 7 minutes.

Not many people have that much hard drive space, and you're going to really be saturating your IO just to save it all which could add performance problems of it's own. It's definitely too large to just store in RAM.
        Last edited by smitty3268; 24 August 2013, 10:47 PM.

Comment

There's something I don't quite get here. Why is a simple task of screen recording so difficult on linux and everyday simple and effortless task on osx/windows?

Comment

Originally posted by ACiD View Post
            There's something I don't quite get here. Why is a simple task of screen recording so difficult on linux and everyday simple and effortless task on osx/windows?
            Because nobody cares enough about making that easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
              I haven't heard of any recent video cards supporting vp8 natively, so you'd have to implement it in OpenCL,
              assuming your driver supports cl_khr_gl_sharing for CL GL interop.
              You don't have to record it to vp8 directly. Use whatever is native to the GPU, then re-encode to vp8 for distribution.

As for saving all frames, it should be possible to only get damaged zones for each frame, greatly reducing the volume of data.

Comment

Working...
              X