X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• giucam
    replied
    Originally posted by TheOne View Post
    mmm, this is disturbing, if this demo was recorded using a native wayland utility and laggued, things are not so superior as they have been sold to us.
    Screencasting is a heavy process, whatever the utility you use. You have to ask the graphics card for the framebuffer every frame and dump it to the hdd. Transferring data from the graphics card to the main RAM is slow, and that's because how the PCI-X slot works. Then if the HDD can't keep up it starts dropping frames and you'll get lag in the final video.

Anyway, I've done another one (with no lag this time ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd1hguj2bPE

Leave a comment:

• CrvenaZvezda
    replied
    mmm, this is disturbing, if this demo was recorded using a native wayland utility and laggued, things are not so superior as they have been sold to us.
    Oh please enlighten us how HW never will come in to play... Never mind the fact that under stress it seems to operate exactly as promised.

Leave a comment:

• droste
    replied
    The state of the native recording tool is a good indicator of the whole project, because...?

Leave a comment:

• TheOne
    replied
    Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
    Weston has a built in wcap utility that records directly to webm video.

Leave a comment:

• kwagga
    replied
    Nice Demonstration.

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the next Generation!

Leave a comment:

• mrugiero
    replied
    Originally posted by asdx
    Pardon my ignorance, but why is there lag in the recording? I understand it's only in the recording, but I thought Wayland/Weston would never have any lag or artifacts.

Am I just missing something? Please elaborate or feel free to correct me.
    The policy is frames have no artifacts, and are presented in an ordered fashion (i.e., you will not see anything "going back and forth" in the render). Recording usually implies a fixed number of frames per second. If frames and recording are not synced, you might see some lag on the record. At least, I understand it this way.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    So how do you actually build it for wayland?

Code:
    launching '/usr/bin/orbital-client'
    launch
    Failed to load platform plugin "wayland". Available platforms are: 
    linuxfb
    minimal
    offscreen
    xcb
    edit: ok, that message is from qt5. My qtwayland doesn't seem to work.
    Last edited by ChrisXY; 10 August 2013, 06:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ancurio
    replied
    Originally posted by asdx
    What program are you using to screencast wayland/weston?
    Weston has a built in wcap utility that records directly to webm video.

Leave a comment:

• CrvenaZvezda
    replied
    Damn... Even videos with screencast induced lag shows why we need Wayland! Wayland and proper free AMD drivers and here is NO area where the crap from MS will be able to perform better.

Leave a comment:

• TheOne
    replied
    Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    Good to know. Michael should have copied that comment into the article.
    +1 Agree! Thanks for the details

Leave a comment:

Working...
X