GNOME 2 Fork MATE Desktop Aims For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
    MATE currently doesn't interest me at all, because it has no compositing, and therefore tons of tearing on intel. this sounds like good news and renews my interest in the project. I may try it in the future when it gets wayland support.
    Last time I checked (2 weeks ago) it had compositing. Settings -> Windows -> Advanced - [x] Enable Composting. Voila.

Comment

Yes, metacity has compositing, but few people used it. However, if it's anything like xfce and uses Xrender, then you'll still get tearing. Have you tried running the compton compositor on top of MATE?

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
        That's something that can benefit from a gtk3 + wayland port:
        wayland is supposed to be build from the ground up with flicker-free tear-less experience.

MATE on GTK3+ should be without tear as long as the hardware supports it.
        Yep, exactly why it has me exited

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          Last time I checked (2 weeks ago) it had compositing. Settings -> Windows -> Advanced - [x] Enable Composting. Voila.
          I should have been more specific. Metacity lacks "proper" tear-free opengl compositing. It has compositing, but it uses xrender last I checked and had video tearing.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
            I should have been more specific. Metacity lacks "proper" tear-free opengl compositing. It has compositing, but it uses xrender last I checked and had video tearing.
            Linux Mint Mate is using compiz is it not?

Comment

El mate es bueno para la salud

Of course. offtopic And is more important xfce dev opinion about wayland rather than xuvuntu maintainers... Because if xfce 412 only support wayland xubunto will disappear. I mean that guys only change the de .

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                Linux Mint Mate is using compiz is it not?
                Last time I tried it, it did not use compiz. (and compiz is buggy as hell anyway )

Comment

Is nice to see ongoing work on Mate but XFCE is far superior (much more configurable, etc...) I would advice to people wanting a classic experience to just use XFCE you will not regret it

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                    Is nice to see ongoing work on Mate but XFCE is far superior (much more configurable, etc...) I would advice to people wanting a classic experience to just use XFCE you will not regret it
                    No xfce . mate is very good

Comment

I was really excited about Unity because of its global menu, but then it was made to auto-hide, and the old categorized application approach was never adopted with the launcher.. it was just another OS X dock with some arbitrary icons, which are just another thing to have to manage.

I've tried Mate on my 12.04 machine, but I have to use 13.04 to install the global menu bar applet for Mate, so I'll be doing that next. If it all works well, I'll be switching back very soon. I do hope the Mate panels are a little less buggy than the old gnome ones though.

Frankly, an always-displayed global menu bar is one of my absolute top priorities in an OS. When Unity lost them, I tried to install iAtkos on my rig. Got it to boot in safe mode, but it seems my mainboard might not be compatible, or maybe I just didn't use the right set of install options. Anyways, I have got to have that, so if Mate gives it to me and Unity doesn't, I can guarantee I'll be switching. I am really glad to hear that Mate is keeping up with other technology advancements in the FOSS realm

Comment

Working...
                      X