X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mendieta
    replied
    What's with the noise

Boys and girls, what's with the noise. It seems like Xubuntu, an Ubuntu derivative, is going to evaluate whether the solution proposed by the parent distribution (Ubuntu) is technically viable at this point. This seems like a civil way to go about things, and more inline with Linus' approach of using what works, than with being opinionated or politically driven.

Having said that, I still think Mir is a bad idea, but then again, that's an opinion, not a technical fact.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
    I thought XFCE was going with Wayland?
    Maybe in 2014 but not this October.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Kubuntu is doing the right thing.
    So they are shutting Kubuntu down and tell their users to switch to a credible alternative?

Leave a comment:

• M1kkko
    replied
    I thought XFCE was going with Wayland?

Leave a comment:

• mrugiero
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I was talking about the implications of the decision on Xubuntu. If they can't help but go with XMir, they might as well disband the project altogether. What's the point of using Xfce on a distribution that makes it more bloated and requires more resources to run...
    Well, that's the concern Lubuntu maintainers have, and the reason they stated they won't be using XMir.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    I wasn't talking about recommendations, I was talking about technology.
    Beginning with 14.04 running Xorg directly will no longer be supported by Canonical, nor will be Wayland. XMir, however, will be supported for quite some time.
    I was talking about the implications of the decision on Xubuntu. If they can't help but go with XMir, they might as well disband the project altogether. What's the point of using Xfce on a distribution that makes it more bloated and requires more resources to run...

Leave a comment:

• dietrdan
    replied
    As for recommendations: I recently started recommending Korora, a Fedora remix (not a fork) with defaults targeted towards common users. It gathered some positive reviews recently.
    https://kororaproject.org/
    Korora looks like a real nice distro to recommend, thanks for the tip!
    I would say it's Fedora for simple desktop users done right
    I'll have to try it out as live system.

Leave a comment:

• r_a_trip
    replied
    Originally posted by BO$$
    Slowly distro creators start to realize the absolute superiority of the Canonical solution. It is good to see them come to their senses after making the grave mistake of bashing Mir. Hopefully Kubuntu will realize it too before it's too late. They either play nice or they die.
    Superior? Remains to be seen. Also, this is one downstream Ubuntu derivative caught between a rock and a hard place. Ship with a much more untested pure X.org (now that Canonical goes Mir) or try to make XFCE work on XMir and hope XMir gets more testing by Canonical than the deprecated X.org.

It's a stopgap at best, since the XFCE project hasn't said anything definitive about support for Mir or Wayland either way. So for now an X-layer will work, but the future is uncertain.

Leave a comment:

• mrugiero
    replied
    Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
    text is jumpy.
    I believe this one is fixed. I booted up today to my textbox and it worked OK.

As for "distros embracing Mir" it's more "flavors accepting they don't have the manpower to maintain X.org packages", since they won't port anything to Mir, just use XMir as it's the currently maintained solution.

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    It looks nice, a lot more responsive than xfce on xorg.
    It looks less responsive than X.org on mine. But responsiveness (between certain limits) is more a subjective feeling than anything else.
    As a matter of fact, you can't state that it looks "more responsive than on X.org", except if that's actually your box and you tested X.org there. Else, you have really nothing to compare to.

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    I wasn't talking about recommendations, I was talking about technology.
    Beginning with 14.04 running Xorg directly will no longer be supported by Canonical, nor will be Wayland. XMir, however, will be supported for quite some time.
    Kubuntu is doing the right thing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X