No announcement yet.

XMir-Based Xubuntu Images Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the XMir project has many benefits for users that everyone seems to not notice.....

XWayland: Only applications can run. User must be using DE running natively under Wayland with applications for all non-wayland-native-DE (Xorg apps and pre-wayland gnome2, kde4, E17 apps, ect) can only be run as single applications.

IE: if your DE of choice hasn't been converted to Wayland native yet, then too bad.

XMir: DE and applications can run (later application only mode will be supported). User can be running DE running natively under Mir or XMir for all DE's and applications.

IE: Users have more choices. Use a Mir native DE or not, your choice.

I see this as a HUGE advantage and great for users to assist with the post-Xorg times transitions that Wayland doesn't support. Its USE NATIVE or too bad with Wayland. There's a choice with Mir/XMir.

(this user will not debate grammar or the use of the English language)

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      So they are shutting Kubuntu down and tell their users to switch to a credible alternative?
      Like what?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        I think the XMir project has many benefits for users that everyone seems to not notice.....

XWayland: Only applications can run. User must be using DE running natively under Wayland with applications for all non-wayland-native-DE (Xorg apps and pre-wayland gnome2, kde4, E17 apps, ect) can only be run as single applications.

IE: if your DE of choice hasn't been converted to Wayland native yet, then too bad.

XMir: DE and applications can run (later application only mode will be supported). User can be running DE running natively under Mir or XMir for all DE's and applications.

I see this as a HUGE advantage and great for users to assist with the post-Xorg times transitions that Wayland doesn't support. Its USE NATIVE or too bad with Wayland. There's a choice with Mir/XMir.

Only one problem with the more choice thing. To have it you need to run (an) Ubuntu (derivative) as no other distro touches Mir/Xmir.

Comment

The same would be possible with XWayland, as soon as the corresponding patches (which XMir builds upon) are used. They are, however, not mainlined, as they are considered unstable.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
            in this case TEARING is fucking everywhere. xMir may help solve those problems (i am not sure if it is possible technicaly. i just guess)
            It does for me, I tested it on my intel machine and there was zero tearing, with compositing on and off in xfwm (compared to xfwm on vanilla X on intel where there's tons of tearing.)

Comment

I find it both amusing and something akin to a kick in the arse when Ubuntu decided to go ahead with Mir when Steam decided to settle on Ubuntu as the de facto distro for their linux implementation. Steam wanted to get away from the vendor lock-in garbage MS bandy about only to have Ubuntu do a similar thing. At least Mir theoretically should be compatible retroactively.
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                The same would be possible with XWayland, as soon as the corresponding patches (which XMir builds upon) are used. They are, however, not mainlined, as they are considered unstable.
                Well, it sounds like it would be good for everyone if XMir and XWayland could be cross pollinated and yield both capable or DE and application only modes.

I'm sure the DE mode patches will be ignored entirely without comment.

Comment

I'm sure the DE mode patches will be ignored entirely without comment.
                  We are talking about XWayland DE mode patches, right?

Comment

Xubuntu using Mir instead of Wayland?

No thanks, I'll stop using Xubuntu then.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                      Not if I disable compositing or use compton. So no it?s not everywhere.
                      If you have to disable compositing to NOT tear then something is VERY wrong. The main reason to HAVE compositing is to PREVENT tearing.
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X