GNOME 3.10 Will Be Really Exciting For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I want to run it with gnome-panel (fallback session) though, not with gnome-shell which I don't like.
    Fallback mode is no longer available. There is Gnome-classic which uses the shell but makes it look more like a "traditional" desktop by using a set of extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
      Fallback mode is no longer available. There is Gnome-classic which uses the shell but makes it look more like a "traditional" desktop by using a set of extensions.
      I thought Red Hat would continue using and support fallback mode in RHEL 7.

Yeah, I've heard about the classic extensions to GNOME Shell, but I fear its no good, and its still too much of that gnome-shell feeling all over it.

Comment

I thought Red Hat would continue using and support fallback mode in RHEL 7.

Yeah, I've heard about the classic extensions to GNOME Shell, but I fear its no good, and its still too much of that gnome-shell feeling all over it.
        Nope, fallback mode is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
          I imagine that from the perspective of a Gnome release, it's no big deal... will probably rate a brief mention with regard to changes to Shell.
          Considering that part of Canonical's anti-Wayland propaganda is to claim that Wayland and Gnome get nothing done, they have to mention it in a bit more detail than a footnote.

Comment

Too bad.
            I liked the fallback mode.
            This classic extensions to gnome-shell sure is better than vanilla gnome-shell, but it still feels too much like gnome-shell.

I hope independent community developers keeps maintaining gnome-panel.

Originally posted by Honton View Post
            No. That would be gnome classic session.

Fine. Then stay behind and use Gnome-panel, metacity etc. Wayland support? You might ask the left-overs maintaining this ancient software. They can team up with MATE and rock the world with wayland support, or maybe not
            I am not too found of Metacity.
            I would like to use gnome-panel with some modern window manager on Wayland.

Comment

I would like to use gnome-panel with some modern window manager on Wayland.
              Cinnamon? It's based on gnome-shell, last I checked.... I don't know what your definition of modern window manager is, though. I use Gnome Shell at work on a dual-monitor machine (java/web dev), and it does just fine for me... better than Unity ever worked at least.

At home I use a combination of Gnome Shell and Cinnamon, depending on what machine I'm on.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
                This is not a buffet. You have to pick. Old or new. The Gnome devs stopped developing the old software for a reason.
                gnome-panel was updated from GNOME 2.32 to GNOME 3 and it was ported from GTK2 to GTK3, and old cruft were removed and legacy stuff deprecated.

So gnome-panel should be reasonably modern.
                I think they stopped developing gnome-panel to have less maintenance and focus more on gnome-shell, and because gnome-shell is their vision that they want to push on everyone, and they don't want people to use gnome-panel because they want to push their vision and they don't like choice.
                Example, they made it difficult to change theme, removed lots of settings, etc.

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                Cinnamon? It's based on gnome-shell, last I checked.... I don't know what your definition of modern window manager is, though. I use Gnome Shell at work on a dual-monitor machine (java/web dev), and it does just fine for me... better than Unity ever worked at least.

At home I use a combination of Gnome Shell and Cinnamon, depending on what machine I'm on.
                I've tried Cinnamon, and it is interesting.
                However, I still prefer gnome-panel.

I also noticed that the menu takes too long time to open on Cinnamon, there is a noticeable delay that is annoying. Also it feels too much like GNOME 3.

Comment

gnome-panel was updated from GNOME 2.32 to GNOME 3 and it was ported from GTK2 to GTK3, and old cruft were removed and legacy stuff deprecated.

I think they stopped developing gnome-panel to have less maintenance and focus more on gnome-shell, and because gnome-shell is their vision that they want to push on everyone, and they don't want people to use gnome-panel because they want to push their vision and they don't like choice.
                  Yeah, if everyone could just work on what I want, instead of what they want, the world would be such a lovely place.

Comment

Example, they made it difficult to change theme, removed lots of settings, etc.

I've tried Cinnamon, and it is interesting.
                    However, I still prefer gnome-panel.
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Yeah, if everyone could just work on what I want, instead of what they want, the world would be such a lovely place.
                      It's subtle, but you're actually picking out a major problem with modern trends in some corners of software development: there is this idea that the users' needs are almost a complete afterthought. This idea is becoming a bit ubiquitous if you look around (Windows 8, etc.). It's completely backwards, however.

Comment

Working...
                      X