Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rasterman: Enlightenment To Have Full Wayland Support

Phoronix: Rasterman: Enlightenment To Have Full Wayland Support

Carsten Haitzler, a.k.a. "Rasterman" and known for his work on the Enlightenment window manager / desktop, has provided some new comments on Enlightenment's planned support for Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you Michael it's good to see them working on Full Support

Comment

He doesn't mention which version of E will have full WL support.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        He doesn't mention which version of E will have full WL support.

he pointed out the Wiki and it says

[Enlightenment 0.18]

Complete support for rendering Wayland Client applications inside the existing X11 Compositor
        Provides a Wayland Shell for use by Wayland Client applications
        Current work is progressing toward a Wayland-Only version

so maybe E19?

Comment

Not updated in 2 months ??

"Rasterman also recommends Phoronix readers check out their Wayland Wiki page about the topic, but as of publishing it hasn't been updated in about two months."

And yet, on the wiki page itself, it says:

"Last updated 47 days ago by devilhorns."

47 days is little over a month .... but I guess "About two months" is close enough, tho to me 2 months sounds overly long

At any rate, yes E18 already supports running Wayland Client applications inside the existing X11 compositor. This means you can run things like Weston Terminal without the need for running Weston itself. E18's default compositor will handle it.

With regard to a Wayland Only version, it is progressing yes. There are still some things that need to be ported over (such as E internal dialogs), and there are some things that will either need changes in the core wayland protocol, or perhaps an extension to the protocol in order to facilitate a more complete desktop experience.

There will be an announcement made when I have the wayland-only version complete enough for people to start testing, don't worry

Comment

Originally posted by devilhorns View Post
            "Rasterman also recommends Phoronix readers check out their Wayland Wiki page about the topic, but as of publishing it hasn't been updated in about two months."

And yet, on the wiki page itself, it says:

"Last updated 47 days ago by devilhorns."

47 days is little over a month .... but I guess "About two months" is close enough, tho to me 2 months sounds overly long

At any rate, yes E18 already supports running Wayland Client applications inside the existing X11 compositor. This means you can run things like Weston Terminal without the need for running Weston itself. E18's default compositor will handle it.

With regard to a Wayland Only version, it is progressing yes. There are still some things that need to be ported over (such as E internal dialogs), and there are some things that will either need changes in the core wayland protocol, or perhaps an extension to the protocol in order to facilitate a more complete desktop experience.

There will be an announcement made when I have the wayland-only version complete enough for people to start testing, don't worry
            ill be more then happy to test it for you E18 look's really good so far

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
              ill be more then happy to test it for you E18 look's really good so far
              LOL, no worries. As stated, I'll make an announcement when I feel it is in that stage

Comment

Full Wayland support?

I approve of this.

Comment

Originally posted by devilhorns View Post
                  LOL, no worries. As stated, I'll make an announcement when I feel it is in that stage
                  So this means that you already have something semi-functional

BTW is this xdg-shell being developed a prerequisite to get Full WL working??

Comment

So this means that you already have something semi-functional
                    It does ?

BTW is this xdg-shell being developed a prerequisite to get Full WL working??
                    Confused ? Excellent, then my work here is complete

Comment

Working...
                    X