Rasterman: Enlightenment To Have Full Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devilhorns View Post
    With regard to a Wayland Only version, it is progressing yes. There are still some things that need to be ported over (such as E internal dialogs), and there are some things that will either need changes in the core wayland protocol, or perhaps an extension to the protocol in order to facilitate a more complete desktop experience.
    Raster, I'm assuming you've brought up these concerns with krh and the likes? Changes needed to core is kind of a red flag...
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Reason for each desktop to build their own compositors?

This has probably answered before but what's the reason for each desktop to build their own Wayland compositors instead of having them all use and work on the Weston compositor? It seems like there's an awful lot of duplicate work being done across the various projects that could instead be redirected into making Weston awesome?

Comment

Originally posted by damg View Post
        This has probably answered before but what's the reason for each desktop to build their own Wayland compositors instead of having them all use and work on the Weston compositor? It seems like there's an awful lot of duplicate work being done across the various projects that could instead be redirected into making Weston awesome?
        thats not what Weston is for "Part of the Wayland project is also the Weston reference implementation of a Wayland compositor."
        also tech Demo

Comment

Originally posted by devilhorns View Post
          47 days is little over a month .... but I guess "About two months" is close enough, tho to me 2 months sounds overly long
          47 days is 30+17=1.54 months, which properly rounded is 2 months

Comment

Weston isn't meant to be used in production for one... its the developers playground and testbed for protocol support. Its not meant to be the fastest (read: optimizatized) its not meant to be a fully featured desktop. Its a place for the wayland devs to make sure the protocol works as expected.

There was an idea discussed that basically came down to there will be one shared system compositor, and then Gnome/Kwin/Enlightenment/etc will implement their own session compositor (mutter/kwin/E...something/etc). Not sure what ever came from that discussion...

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Weston isn't meant to be used in production for one... its the developers playground and testbed for protocol support. Its not meant to be the fastest (read: optimizatized) its not meant to be a fully featured desktop. Its a place for the wayland devs to make sure the protocol works as expected.

There was an idea discussed that basically came down to there will be one shared system compositor, and then Gnome/Kwin/Enlightenment/etc will implement their own session compositor (mutter/kwin/E...something/etc). Not sure what ever came from that discussion...
              and we can now use Systemd to do most of the hard work

Comment

Raster, I'm assuming you've brought up these concerns with krh and the likes? Changes needed to core is kind of a red flag...
                Just a note, devilhorns != Raster

devilhorns == Chris Michael == the guy doing the majority of the Wayland work in E and EFL

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...
                Last edited by Scimmia; 23 July 2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

The same duplicated efforts on having several window managers and desktops. Remember a compositor takes the role the window manager had on X.org.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                    The same duplicated efforts on having several window managers and desktops. Remember a compositor takes the role the window manager had on X.org.
                    Sort of? It's my understanding that the Compositor takes the role that X used to (try to) play, handling surfaces and rendering. The toolkit handles the other parts that X had (part-time) role in, i.e. input, and the window manager (which may be part of the compositor or the toolkit) handles...window management, placement, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
                      Just a note, devilhorns != Raster

devilhorns == Chris Michael == the guy doing the majority of the Wayland work in E and EFL
                      Whoops, thanks for the correction Scimmia

Comment

Working...
                      X