KDE Should Be Fully Running On Wayland Next Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    LGPL is half propriatery? Or do you mean the fact that there's a commercial / closed source license available? Because that parts covered by http://www.kde.org/community/whatisk...foundation.php effectively nullifying any issues of using Qt for your (F)OSS application.
    It's not about what license Qt is available under right now. It's about what it represents. Initially it took 5 years and a lot of pressure to make Trolltech release it under GPL. But I don't really hate Qt like I hate Unity or KDE. I simply find it irrelevant because the only worthwhile piece of software that uses Qt to date is Transmission.
    Last edited by prodigy_; 23 July 2013, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
      No, you can still use the LGPL license for commercial applications so long as it is dynamically linked.

The reason you would need the closed license is if you want to statically link to Qt for whatever reason, or you want to modify the source code of Qt without releasing your changes to the public.
      Thats what it was, I knew there was a packaging trigger for commercial vs LGPL licensing. If you want to statically link your app, you have to pay, or if you want to modify without release, you have to buy.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
        I simply find it irrelevant because the only worthwhile piece of software that uses Qt to date is Transmission.
        Yeah, who ever uses things like Mathematica, VLC, MythTV, Maya, or Scribus.

Comment

Yeah, who ever uses things like Mathematica, VLC, MythTV, or Maya.
          or WoW

Comment

Yeah, who ever uses things like Mathematica, VLC, MythTV, Maya, or Scribus.
            Mathematica and Maya are proprietary and I thought we were discussing FOSS here. And the rest... well... I'm sure someone cares.

Comment

A lot more people use VLC than Transmission, as even lots of Windows users use it. More people might even use MythTV than Transmission. Not beating on Transmission, but...

Comment

Mathematica and Maya are proprietary and I thought we were discussing FOSS here.
                You never said anything about it being FOSS, you just said "Software".

And VLC is probably one of the most popular video players in existence.

Comment

No, you can still use the LGPL license for commercial applications so long as it is dynamically linked.

The reason you would need the closed license is if you want to statically link to Qt for whatever reason, or you want to modify the source code of Qt without releasing your changes to the public.
                  As far as I know Qt has Linking Exeption: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...-exe-with-lgpl

Comment

...because a crappy and incredibly ugly DE based on a half-proprietary toolkit is just what FOSS needs.

You just won my personal "Most stupid post of the year 2013" competition. The year is not over yet, but I'm sure no one can top that...

Comment

It's not about what license Qt is available under right now. It's about what it represents. Initially it took 5 years and a lot of pressure to make Trolltech release it under GPL.
                      Neither did it take 5 years, nor was Qt's previous license (QPL) non-free.

Comment

Working...
                      X