Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enlightenment On Wayland Still Being Done

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Enlightenment On Wayland Still Being Done

    Phoronix: Enlightenment On Wayland Still Being Done

    A lot of Linux desktop users are looking forward to the full port of the Enlightenment desktop to Wayland...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQxNjE

  • #2
    i like to see more Info on the Wayland Port or Even Xwayland -_-

    "Most interestingly and importantly, I?ve CLOSED the feature addition window for E18 to start getting ready for our target release date in July of 2023. That?s right, the E18 release is coming: NBD"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
      i like to see more Info on the Wayland Port or Even Xwayland -_-

      "Most interestingly and importantly, I?ve CLOSED the feature addition window for E18 to start getting ready for our target release date in July of 2023. That?s right, the E18 release is coming: NBD"
      E people have accounts in Phoronix so they might chime in and answer questions.








      I was wrong in the other topic and thought all the word done by devilhorns was for a standalone compositor.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        E people have accounts in Phoronix so they might chime in and answer questions.

        I was wrong in the other topic and thought all the word done by devilhorns was for a standalone compositor.
        i really like to know if E19 is going to have full Wayland Support and seeing how it look's like E18 missed the Window for Full Wayland

        "Enlightenment 0.18

        Complete support for rendering Wayland Client applications inside the existing X11 Compositor
        Provides a Wayland Shell for use by Wayland Client applications
        Current work is progressing toward a Wayland-Only version "


        or if it's going to be E18 looks like we're going to get HL3 around the time of E19 seeing how the release date was 2023 for E18

        https://phab.enlightenment.org/w/wayland/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
          i really like to know if E19 is going to have full Wayland Support and seeing how it look's like E18 missed the Window for Full Wayland
          They're implementing everything the wayland protocol has going. It's just that it's currently missing stuff like de-fullscreen and minimizing... I suppose once the library has it, it will be literally a matter of a dozen lines of code to implement and release a point release for. Assuming nothing unusual happens of course...

          Personally, I've always assumed the reason the wayland devs are holding off on those "features" is because they want them done client side. Minimizing for instance is just treating the desktop like a regular window and placing it over other windows. Not too sure about fullscreen anymore... But I see nothing has really been done in weston regarding those problems so beats me...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by c117152 View Post
            Personally, I've always assumed the reason the wayland devs are holding off on those "features" is because they want them done client side. Minimizing for instance is just treating the desktop like a regular window and placing it over other windows. Not too sure about fullscreen anymore... But I see nothing has really been done in weston regarding those problems so beats me...
            What i conclude is that features are hold back because the people behind it don't care much about the desktop. It doesn't seem to be a priority to get rid of X as "fast" as possible.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              What i conclude is that features are hold back because the people behind it don't care much about the desktop. It doesn't seem to be a priority to get rid of X as "fast" as possible.
              This, or they're intentionally holding back key features to ensure masses don't see Wayland before it's fully baked.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                They're implementing everything the wayland protocol has going. It's just that it's currently missing stuff like de-fullscreen and minimizing... I suppose once the library has it, it will be literally a matter of a dozen lines of code to implement and release a point release for. Assuming nothing unusual happens of course...

                Personally, I've always assumed the reason the wayland devs are holding off on those "features" is because they want them done client side. Minimizing for instance is just treating the desktop like a regular window and placing it over other windows. Not too sure about fullscreen anymore... But I see nothing has really been done in weston regarding those problems so beats me...
                maybe but client side resizing was bad if i remember

                Comment

                Working...
                X