Canonical Continues Working On XMir Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Can't wait to get Wayland on Xubuntu. Definitely a great year to be with Linux, aside from all this sillyness with Ubuntu and Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
      Who gives a fuck
      The thread is about Xmir performance not about how much better and production ready you believe wayland is.
      It would be nice if the trolling Canonical crew would stop derailing every single Ubuntu related thread.Surely you have made your point you prefer wayland. It would be even nicer if the generalisations made that every ubuntu user, community and Canonical developers, are complete morons..... stopped!!

It's a shame your writing style doesn't reflect the 133t genius Gentoo tard you proclaim to be.

are you really this stupid? the unity 7/8 mir road map is pretty clear.
      Step 1 unity 7 running on xmir for 13.10 ( of course their are still some things that need to be fixed)
      Step 2 unity 8 lands sometime between 13.10 and 14.04 with native mir support so if users/developers wish it can be tested before hitting 14.04 .

I nominate you as one the lamest canonical trolls Phoronix has ever seen.
      1.) They have proven to be again and again but like bo$$ it seems you like PR more than dig technical facts, this is a technical forum not religious facebook page
      2.) Try to skip the point been a grammar nazi? but ok i admit english is not my main language and my main language is different enough from english to make my english error prone
      3.) You are the stupid (prove for point 1) here i thought "other DE" would cleanly imply KDE/GNOME/XFCE/LXDE/etc. but whatever most of those DE maintainers won't accept XMir fixes upstream or contribute them downstream starting with KDE because it make no technical sense and ubuntu flavors maintainer thought the same and stick to native X.org

when you adquire the ability required to read C/C++ and understand it professionally you will see why there is no point in XMir and why will be rewritten[aka leach upstream XWayland] for 14.04 and ofc why everybody stays away from it like the pest, until then you can believe whatever you want or go preach your technically baseless opinions in facebook or canonical forums.

what you and bo$$ do here is like go to science today and post the sun should be cooller at nights and get mad when an actual physicist call you retard and then you come back to defend your point because the religion you follow consider that a hard fact then the guy ask you to study physics to see the truth and you claim that is for geeks(so again, why in the fucking hell you are posting in science today? to start with)

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        XMir can't handle none of that neither is designed for it and Xserver is the one doing the job not Mir
        LOL, did you read what I wrote?

XMir can handle the desktop on top of Mir that together with LightDM works as a system comositor. This is the biggest point of Mir
        and is something Canonical have talked about for a long time even before someone knew what Wayland where.

XMirs single purpose is to run X applications on Mir. This includes desktop environments. But as said ON Mir. You can still get the
        goodies of Mir outside this XMir surface.

And yes XMir is right now slower than pure X. XMir and Mir is still in development and some crucial features for performance are
        still missing, but I doesn?t need to say this as the article you are commenting already have. Oh right you didn't read that one either...

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post

XMir can handle the desktop on top of Mir that together with LightDM works as a system comositor. This is the biggest point of Mir
          and is something Canonical have talked about for a long time even before someone knew what Wayland where.
          Actually, Canonical's earlier plans about a system compositor centered entirely around using a Wayland compositor as a system compositor, while running a X server on top of it - then later on migrating to full-on Wayland. Before Wayland, no one - not Canonical or anyone else - has ever even considered the idea of a "system compositor" because it just hasn't been an applicable concept without a new type of display technology.

Interestingly, Wayland devs now seem to be moving away from the idea of a "system compositor" - and replace it with an entirely new concept. Bets on how long it'll take for Canonical to copy the idea and claim it as their own...

XMirs single purpose is to run X applications on Mir. This includes desktop environments. But as said ON Mir. You can still get the
          Wrong. When an application runs on XMir, it talks to an X server, and is entirely unaware of Mir under it. None of the "goodies" are usable for the application. This applies also to desktop environments, which means it's entirely pointless to run a DE on top of XMir. XWayland (what XMir was forked from) was meant to provide compatibility for legacy apps, not to run DEs.

And yes XMir is right now slower than pure X. XMir and Mir is still in development and some crucial features for performance are
          still missing, but I doesn?t need to say this as the article you are commenting already have. Oh right you didn't read that one either...
          XMir will always be slower than plain X, as long as you run a full DE on top of it. There's simply no way it could even theoretically be faster, because the composition still happens on X. With a native DE on top of Mir, it could be possible to make X applications run faster on Xmir than on native X, depending if the Mir devs do a good job on the coding, but that's not the situation now, and also, it's entirely pointless because we already have Wayland + XWayland which already works better right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post

still missing, but I doesn’t need to say this as the article you are commenting already have. Oh right you didn't read that one either...
            ok i elaborate a bit more in 1 dee explained good enough 2 and 3

1.a) system compositor is the wrong term, a system compositor will replace VT_Config and other kernel subsystem as explained previously, the correct expression is "Session Compositor"
            1.b) Mir is a Server, meaning is a main thread process that accept render and composite requests and processes like Xserver does[keep it in mind for later]
            1.c) LightDM don't handle "system compositor" operations since it still require proper set VT, still require an external authentication mechanism(like PAM for example) and it obtain it screen information from KMS/DRM interfaces like any other login manager will
            1.d) LightDM + Mir will just keep both processes running[unlike gdm or kdm that dies after authentication is positive] and try to bypass new VT operations or enable many at once to try to avoid switching TTY when you require to open a new session aka the Mac OS X way, the only advantage here [is very hackish but good enough for now] is that EGL should be a loot friendlier that GLX to keep contexts separated and unlike X11 Mir could allow 1 server and many sessions[X11 require a server per session]
            1.e) Wayland will support this too but to do it clean it require some patches that are WIP for now like render nodes and removal of VTs and finally integracion with systemd/logind and by them Mir will have to catch up too ofc

i don't say it not a feature of having Xmir/Mir but i doubt is enough to justify XMir outside main ubuntu distro and this can as easily done with other DE+Wayland as is with Mir+lightDM in case other distros wanted to implement it later if they don't wanna wait for the proper solution

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              You do not assert dominance in the marketplace by raping babies, but by kicking competitors' asses. Which is what they're doing
              yeah ovbiously is a smart idea when you don't control the 99% of the code you use and that 99% of the code depends of the ppl your are pissing off. Extremely awesome bussiness kick ass especially since canonical is so productive that the guys in the company have to go to mark office to ask him for money to go and buy coffees.

ovbiously that bunch of retardeds in Redhat are working with a dead model that don't kick asses like mark since they can't find where to put that billion dollar/year net income or how to improve that 9.41 billion dollars market cap.

Guys we have to run to buy canonical stock ... ohh wait ...

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                Lubuntu and Kubuntu are a bunch of disrespectful and ungrateful bastards. They should remember that without Ubuntu they wouldn't have existed. They are biting the hand that fed them. That will not go unpunished. They must learn some respect and follow the way of Ubuntu. Diverging too much and they must call themselves something else because not using Mir is basically not being Ubuntu anymore. Want to be called an Ubuntu derivative? Use Mir or GTFO!

Xfce and KDE can stay in the hole they are now. Nobody needs them anymore anyway. Unity is good enough and finally unifies the Linux desktop by being the only DE. The rest can die and finally we will have a consistent ONE interface, just like Windows.

Can you stop making shit up? The two mouse cursors is just for testing. You won't be having 2 pointers in the final version ffs.

Hahaha. So they're still in the design phase? After so many years you'd have thought they have made some basic decisions. But this is Wayland we're talking about. It will never leave design stages since they want it to be perfect! Hahaha hahaha! What a sad joke. It makes Canonical engineers look like gods when it comes to coding speed. Look at how fast Mir is advancing compared to that Wayland joke. I'm starting to think Canonical broke from Wayland because they saw how slooooowww they were and realized that they are so much better and faster
                perfect example for wikipedia of what it means to be an a religious fanboy and the amusing part is that he doesn't actually know how far behind is Mir

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  perfect example for wikipedia of what it means to be an a religious fanboy and the amusing part is that he doesn't actually know how far behind is Mir
                  I don't think he is a fanboy. I think he is just having fun trolling us. From time to time it is a little bit too obvious.

Comment

Bo$$, you talk so much shit, you should go to business selling fertilizer. Farmers could stick you in a field and read you news posts about Canonical.

Originally posted by bossy
                    Red Hat is a joke on the desktop. We are talking about desktop linux. Where Canonical is king!
                    Red Hat is actually making money off desktop Linux installations. Red Hat is profiting from desktop Linux. RHEL is used for desktop computers. They are selling their desktop distro, for actual money. And people buy it because they get the support contracts, which is still profitable for people because they don't have to maintain in-house IT staff.

Originally posted by bozo
                    Nobody hurts any ecosystem. They are friends with Debian and mortal enemies with Wayland.
                    Oh but wait, Ubuntu was going to "kick the ass" of all the competition. Now you say they're friends with Debian... get your trolling straight.

Originally posted by bozley
                    Is it really that hard to understand? There is no 'community'. Just different projects. Some are with us some are against us. It's that simple. May Canonical prevail for the good of us all. It is time to have a corporation behind a desktop distro that really pushes it onto computers. The rest are dabblers. These guys are serious and are willing to do anything. Don't try to stay in their way!
                    The amount of delusion is stunning at this point. Bo$$ doesn't even know what he's rambling about, he's just so pissed because he's running out of any rational arguments to defend Canonical, so he always reverts to this juvenile trolling that doesn't even make any sense.

This is not a game of Warhammer 40k we're talking about here, bo$$. Your arguments aren't going to start magically making sense just because you can spin up some rhetoric at a 6th grader level.

Originally posted by bossanova
                    Lubuntu and Kubuntu are a bunch of disrespectful and ungrateful bastards. They should remember that without Ubuntu they wouldn't have existed. They are biting the hand that fed them. That will not go unpunished. They must learn some respect and follow the way of Ubuntu. Diverging too much and they must call themselves something else because not using Mir is basically not being Ubuntu anymore. Want to be called an Ubuntu derivative? Use Mir or GTFO!
                    Sadly, no matter how much you rant, no one is going to listen to you. What you think distros "should" do is not something anyone with a brain or influence to the decisionmaking of any distro is ever going to pay any heed to. No sane distro has ever made their decisions based on the insane rantings of a shitty forum troll, and they're not about to start now. So you can piss and moan all you like. The Lubuntu/Kubuntu decision must really have struck a nerve though, usually you only lose it this much when I prod you a little.

Even the people actually working in Canonical disagree with you. No one in Canonical is making any requests to the derivatives to stop using a *buntu name just because they refuse to use Mir or XMir. And no one else is going to use Mir, because using it just doesn't make any sense for anyone else. The reason has been explained a zillion times, but since you're a troll and therefore never listen, I'm not going to bother doing it now.

Also, it's Canonical who is diverging from the rest of desktop Linux. Everyone else has agreed on Wayland, which came first. Only Canonical thinks Mir is the way to go. No one agrees with them. No one.

Originally posted by bozzton
                    Xfce and KDE can stay in the hole they are now. Nobody needs them anymore anyway. Unity is good enough and finally unifies the Linux desktop by being the only DE. The rest can die and finally we will have a consistent ONE interface, just like Windows.
                    If you want windows, go use windows. No one is stopping you!

As for Unity becoming "the ONE interface", lol. When it was first published, people ran away from Ubuntu. It's not exactly the most popular DE. It will never be a mainstream DE now, let alone being "the only" DE. That's delusional even for you.

Originally posted by bozzlenozzle
                    Hahaha. So they're still in the design phase? After so many years you'd have thought they have made some basic decisions. But this is Wayland we're talking about. It will never leave design stages since they want it to be perfect! Hahaha hahaha! What a sad joke. It makes Canonical engineers look like gods when it comes to coding speed. Look at how fast Mir is advancing compared to that Wayland joke. I'm starting to think Canonical broke from Wayland because they saw how slooooowww they were and realized that they are so much better and faster
                    So after a couple posts of steamy ranting, you degenerate back to 3rd-grader-level trolling. Seriously, this reads like a "my dad is stronger than your dad" sandbox hissyfit. Nice!

Sadly, no one has said anything even remotely to the sort of Wayland "being in the design phase", you simply infer it because you don't actually understand what you're reading. But that's what you always do, isn't it? You comment on things you don't even understand, you don't care about any of the facts, you're willingly ignorant of anything that goes against your undying blind faith and devotion towards Ubuntu. It's even funnier when you consider the fact - a fact that always makes you butthurt, so prepare - that Wayland is still ahead of Mir, and basically everything in Mir has been copied from Wayland in the first place. It's even funnier to consider that Wayland is already not only usable, but it's even getting on a production mobile phone before Mir: the first Sailfish phone will use Wayland.

But that's ok, bozzler. I've long since given up from hearing anything from you that is even remotely resembling of coherence. Angry rants entirely divorced from reality are so much more up your alley, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
                      I don't think he is a fanboy. I think he is just having fun trolling us. From time to time it is a little bit too obvious.
                      Reading this thread (and some other about Mir or Wayland), either all the fanboys gathered together to make a keyboard war, either they troll each other...

The majority of arguments the two sides use are laughable!

Comment

Working...
                      X