Jolla's First Smartphone Powered By Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
    Well it was 550euros here, so 400 is definitely tolerable compared to that. And the hardware is more than adequate in Jolla and Wayland promises so much. The N9 was just a tiny bit too slow to be really good. If it was dualcore like all the competitors it would have been legendary.
    I have more questions than thoughts on this:

1. I dont find full specs to that phone... so on what base did people buy it, did they watched the video and said ok it kind of looks good lets buy it?

2. the specs we have are not that good, I can get for the exact same price a Oppo finder 5 30 euro more with 32gb. with a good camera, this phone seems to have no good one, I know mpixels are not all but it is one hint on the quality. with a solid case with 1080p display. yes you can say quadcore is not needed because of not using java but 1080p cant be made up with software.

3. I read anywhere opensource opensource... thats not different on androids side... so the question is will there be free 3d drivers for that phone at release and all other free drivers?

4. if not, whats so important about that phone, what prevents me from installing this os to any smartphone at least the ones that are supported officialy by cyanogenmod?

5. till that comes out maybe the finder 5 costs even only 350 euros, sry for me it looks at least on the first view as:

to little to late.

Comment

Well it was 550euros here, so 400 is definitely tolerable compared to that. And the hardware is more than adequate in Jolla and Wayland promises so much. The N9 was just a tiny bit too slow to be really good. If it was dualcore like all the competitors it would have been legendary.
      The design is what i am not sure about. And the size. Phones are getting pretty big. Spec wise i believe it will be ok. If i decide to buy a phone i'll probably think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        I have more questions than thoughts on this:

1. I dont find full specs to that phone... so on what base did people buy it, did they watched the video and said ok it kind of looks good lets buy it?

2. the specs we have are not that good, I can get for the exact same price a Oppo finder 5 30 euro more with 32gb. with a good camera, this phone seems to have no good one, I know mpixels are not all but it is one hint on the quality. with a solid case with 1080p display. yes you can say quadcore is not needed because of not using java but 1080p cant be made up with software.

3. I read anywhere opensource opensource... thats not different on androids side... so the question is will there be free 3d drivers for that phone at release and all other free drivers?

4. if not, whats so important about that phone, what prevents me from installing this os to any smartphone at least the ones that are supported officialy by cyanogenmod?

5. till that comes out maybe the finder 5 costs even only 350 euros, sry for me it looks at least on the first view as:

to little to late.
        Wayland. Qt5. QML2. HTML5. Real linux with package manager and no reflashing of roms. The list of reasons why this is so exciting is endless. It is true the hardware is not the best, but given a price of <400 euros i see it quite reasonable.

All in all i think we are going to see a new standard for mobile phones UI:s being set. The N9 was already good on the mediocre 1ghz one core chip, and it had only X. I cannot even imagine how silky smooth Jolla phone will be with Wayland and the grunt of a modern dualcore mobile chipset.

afaik the pre orders are not even up yet.
        Last edited by varikonniemi; 13 July 2013, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Wayland. Qt5. QML2. HTML5. Real linux with package manager and no reflashing of roms. The list of reasons why this is so exciting is endless.
          aha. then name at least one thing that is exciting. i haven't seen anything in your list. and no, it is not more real linux than android.

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
            aha. then name at least one thing that is exciting. i haven't seen anything in your list. and no, it is not more real linux than android.
            Yeah. Except that it uses a nearly similar stack with a not so distant linux desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              Yeah. Except that it uses a nearly similar stack with a not so distant linux desktop.
              You should wait until you see output from rpm -qa

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                so there is a fedora installer f?r the nexus 4... and for that chip is a free driver that even let you start at least xbmc... ok video-encoding is not yet availible through the free driver.
                BUT that said, wayland can use the propriatary android drivers so xbmc with a real linux + xbmc and 1080p video ecoding should be possible.

And again nobody answered my question, why should it be a problem to install that os on another android phone????
                If they would at least would have said that they use hardware where also for the gpu they have free drivers but it seems its not the case, they use also propriatary android drivers. it seems or did I miss here what?

So with a nexus 4 or some similar phone like the oppo find 5 (with the same soc) I think I will have a more open or free device, at least there are some descent Gallium3d drivers even with 3d support.

I dont really udnerstand why people always make so much of the standard-os that is installed on a machine. how good the android or non-android gui is. The question is how much people use that device how much it gets support from 3rd party groups and how open it is (maybe not in this order), and for me it seems this phone is not very open, just has a better default ui installed maybe.

ok I got proved kind of wrong with the raspberry, its pretty proprieatary but the fact that so much people bought it, brought this garbage kind of good drivers anyway. even if its technicaly impossible to write normal drivers for this thing, they made some hack to kind of make it work.

But I dont want hardware where you have to hack stuff to get it working.
                But ok thats now a bit OT.

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
                  Qt5, all C and C++ on the OS level and Wayland. These are enough for me. I'm sick and tired of that crappy Dalvik and all those services that start up and eat my battery. I want a true Qt phone that has native C and C++ apps and OS. If it can run Android and HTML5 stuff good, but not for the basic stuff. Ubuntu has the same idea actually, they believe in native and Qt too but I'm not so fond of their Mir and their UI.
                  And then there's Tizen and FirefoxOS which somehow think running HTML5 on you phone is a good idea. It really isn't, javascript is way slower and more resource consuming than C and C++. It's actually a lot worse than even Java (Dalvik).

Oh by the way a dual core really is enough for a phone if it's efficient, why the heck do you need 8 cores ? I mean it's not like you do anything serious on it, is it ? Can anyone here tell me what he really needs a quad core phone for ? I bought a 6 core Phenom II x6 because I need to compile code frequently, lots of it but for a phone ...
                  Last edited by mcirsta; 13 July 2013, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Look at all This you guy's get your Wayland Shipping and you're still not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                      You should wait until you see output from rpm -qa
                      Quite a few details have already been confirmed. It's based on Mer (glibc, systemd, GNU coreutils & all) and Nemo Mobile. It uses Wayland, PulseAudio, oFono, GStreamer, Qt, Maliit...

Comment

Working...
                      X