No announcement yet.

Jolla's First Smartphone Powered By Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I was one of the big players and a competitor to sailfish and wanted to block it I could/would buy out the stock for whatever components they announce leaving them liars and/or unable to launch or deliver since there is plenty of time to arrange that.
    Like I did with the N9 I'll buy it to give the middle finger to that scumbag Elop. Plus um way..land

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
      When you have standard core os in place installing stuff like mail servers and cron is trivial.
      Cron is used for lot of tasks like rotating logs/cleaning /tmp and is in every install even in minimal.

Mailserver it is used for for daemons to send you info and users can send messages via mail out of the box on any install.

That doesn't mean that mailserver or cron aren't installable but it means internally Jolla OS works differently than GNU/Linux

Anyone knows which bootloader is Jolla going to use?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
        Anyone knows which bootloader is Jolla going to use?
        No, but it will be open so you can install whatever you want that support the hardware like ubuntu phone if it supports the hardware.

I like Jolla sailfish OS Qt/Qml, HTML5, androids apps and more.
        If you want a free OS then install mer+nemo on the Jolla device but since gpu isn't known the gpu might be a problem or not.
        I rather buy an Sailfish OS phone then a Android since i value my freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
          500$ phone with this configuration? Although I would give them my best of luck but I highly doubt it will shine.
          There's at least a dozen far larger players, then there's many more the same size or smaller, all vying for top-tier components.
          What do you think that does to pricing for smaller players with next to no budget compared to the bigger players?
          There's no way a tiny start-up like Jolla can play the same hw game that the larger handset makers do, unless they like to live very dangerously*
          They need to play the long game, play it safer, if they're to last more than 18 more months...
          That means going for mid-range specs, perhaps even slightly worse than that, & they won't be able to offer it at a price as competitive as larger players can.
          And not just because of the worse pricing they'll get on components, but also because they're building a entire sw stack/ecosystem, logistics/distribution/support infra (it goes on).
          The users that see value in Sailfish(Jolla), will be the ones that appreciate being able to use sw/content sources of "their choosing", plus the stuff that's "native".
          The other way they'll differentiate, is through real innovation (a rarity in this industry in recent yrs) in the in the form of hw augmentation, think PC days (but not quite), when users could make all sort of hw changes of their choosing.
          It remains to be seen how truly ambitious this "Other Half" concept is, it may turn out to be no more than a NFC triggered sw autorun, if that's all it is, then they've given themselves a big uppercut by (vaguely) asserting otherwise quite often in their communications.
          But bottom-line, there is still value in what they're doing, for those that can see/appreciate it...
          By the way, the 100EUD pre-order is closed, but they have recently opted to keep the free pre-order going for the time being, so pre-orders are not "completely" closed, yet.

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          If peple think about it they annouced it like one year ago, in the mean time technology advances...
          They announced themselves as a company about 1yr & 1wk ago (they were properly formed & working as a co. from Jan/Feb 12'), they did not announce any devices, or even their main plans & core sw then.

*assuming they can even get the best hw in the 1st place, which is already unlikely, when much larger co's often buy up inventory
          Last edited by jalyst; 14 July 2013, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            Somewhat agree, but the hw is only half of the product, the other half is the sw.
            You don't need a quad core cpu on a phone, unless your apps are running on half-native/interpreted goo like Java/Dalvik, which is also sucking a lot more memory and doing garbage collection (gc) which leads to hiccups => the experience playing a game is better on a dual-core CPU in C++ than with Java on a quad core cause you can't normally escape gc with Java or with other (half)interpreted crap.
            Wayland is also better than SurficeFlinger.
            I just love how halfwit's attack what they don't understand, with other things they don't understand. The end result is that they end up putting in a good word for what they're attacking, because their brainless attack always makes the opposite impression than what they were aiming for.

Just a little FYI: The reason google picked the APQ8064 quad core for the nexus 4 rather than the dual core MSM8260A or MSM8960 was because it had the Adreno 320 GPU rather than the older and slower Adreno 225, not because it had 4 cpu cores. Their next phone, the moto-X "made in America", is a dual core MSM8960T, which is basically the same MSM8960, but with the upgraded GPU core.

And a little lesson;
            1) Android GC is not the same as java GC, it doesn't cause the whole system to chop up.
            2) GC only happens for... get this... java applications. Most applications that actually do any significant lifting run native binaries. That means C/C++ on bare metal.

Comment

Cron is used for lot of tasks like rotating logs/cleaning /tmp and is in every install even in minimal.
              Many modern Linux distributions like Fedora, Mageia, openSUSE and mer use systemd. It has its own syslog implementation, journald that handles syslog rotation itself. /tmp is also usually mounted as tmpfs so no need for cron there either. Systemd also supports powerful timer units that can in part if not completely replace cron. It's simply not needed for most systems and it therefore doesn't make any sense to be installed by default.

Mailserver it is used for for daemons to send you info and users can send messages via mail out of the box on any install.
              ...and makes no sense to be installed by default unless it's a depedency.

That doesn't mean that mailserver or cron aren't installable but it means internally Jolla OS works differently than GNU/Linux.
              By your definition I guess... It's still very close to typical GNU/Linux OS. I for one have never used sendmail/cron and can't imagine how it would make sense as a default for mobile device. It doesn't change how anything works either.

Comment

Many modern Linux distributions like Fedora, Mageia, openSUSE and mer use systemd.
                You mean Nemo (& most likely Sailfish), MeR is a lower level still, but your point remains.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
                  You mean Nemo (& most likely Sailfish), MeR is a lower level still, but your point remains.
                  Mer architecturally derives from the MeeGo 1.3 architecture. The big changes in MeeGo 1.3 compared to MeeGo 1.2 was systemd inclusion, which simplified much of the startup process and services handling. Mer architecture was based around the need for a minimal Core that could be the basis of many different kinds of products.
                  Mer utilizes the systemd system and service manager for Linux. This approach is much different from typical SysV init scripts, but is also more suitable for mobile systems due to on-demand starting of daemons.
                  -Source

Jolla employees have already pushed couple of patches to systemd. The guy who wrote the user session stuff for Nemo Mobile works for Jolla too.

Comment

Yep, sounds about right, strictly speaking Nemo/Sailfish are the "distros" though.

Comment

Many modern Linux distributions like Fedora, Mageia, openSUSE and mer use systemd. It has its own syslog implementation, journald that handles syslog rotation itself. /tmp is also usually mounted as tmpfs so no need for cron there either. Systemd also supports powerful timer units that can in part if not completely replace cron. It's simply not needed for most systems and it therefore doesn't make any sense to be installed by default.

...and makes no sense to be installed by default unless it's a depedency.

By your definition I guess... It's still very close to typical GNU/Linux OS. I for one have never used sendmail/cron and can't imagine how it would make sense as a default for mobile device. It doesn't change how anything works either.
                      Its not my definition that's how desktop distros work and since Jolla OS is supposed to be full GNU/Linux not Android/Linux ive spotted some differences... anyway i hope they will ship Jolla with GPL das u-boot so they or carriers cannot later fuck us in ass with proprietary bootloader

Comment

Working...
                      X