Jolla's First Smartphone Powered By Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caryhartline View Post
    There are definitely going to have some die-hard fans of Linux and Sailfish who will buy this no matter the price, but I highly doubt the general market is going to pass up an HTC One or iPhone 5 for this.
    It is WAY cheaper than iPhones and HTC One! It is an unsubsidiced price you moron, and the phone won't even be available on the US market EVER due to patent laws, so don't worry your head with things you do not understand and can not buy anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
      It is WAY cheaper than iPhones and HTC One! It is an unsubsidiced price you moron, and the phone won't even be available on the US market EVER due to patent laws, so don't worry your head with things you do not understand and can not buy anyway.
      it sold out we may see it here

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
        Oh by the way a dual core really is enough for a phone if it's efficient, why the heck do you need 8 cores ? I mean it's not like you do anything serious on it, is it ? Can anyone here tell me what he really needs a quad core phone for ? I bought a 6 core Phenom II x6 because I need to compile code frequently, lots of it but for a phone ...
        Does it matter? I mean if you take this sentence in relation to the price you are probably right. But if you can get more cores for less money does they hurt? I mean arm per core is not so fast as like as example a core i7 so the amount of cores alone does not mean much. btw are there reasons for more cores... as example you could run ubuntu or enougher linux in a vm with only 2 cores and only 1 core for the guest it could become a bit slow. with a quadcore no problem.

yes you dont need it... but as example I am typing here on a thinkpad zacate also dualcore x86 so shurly faster cores than the arm cores... I dont use flash, I dont play games (btw why not use the phone for such stuff?) I dont use java here... still with more then 2-3 tabs open I am not that happy with my experience here... will update to a quadcore kabini or something. And its not for compiling here stuff normal desktop usage, and of course as soon as you wanna use virtualisation this system is hell.

So I dont see why the idle power of a quadcore arm should be much higher then a 2core version. so why should I care. should I not buy it because it has to much power-reserves?

I have one advantage I can probable install this os also but you cant replace the low-resolution 720p with a 1080p display etc.

and yes its even not totaly out of possiblity to install some linux like ubuntu as vm on the maschine connect it with a cable over hdmi to a monitor and use some input devies and have a mobile pc with you.

Comment

But please no such failes like BT 4.0 hardware but only BT 2.1 by software.

Comment

I can't understand how so many people here are trying to guess the fucking price of the phone, when the pre-orders time just ended this week and price was well set.

I pre-odererd one and the total I'll have to pay for the phone with tazes included in europe will be 400? in total. I preordered with 100?, so when they finally annouce it in the Q4 I'll just have to give 300?.

It's complete linux under, but I'm not sure yet how they are gonna play with how open the device will be, but trying to guess from previous ones like the N900 and N9 it will be probably ease to customize.

So just please stop spreading bullshit. Just search a little about it.

linux + qt / qml + wayland, I'm totally sold on it. With the other half possibly extending the phone with not yet totally defined options, god, it will be amazing. Not running dalvinik or other jvm in a minimun of a dual core cpu, will give more than enough processing for everyday use. Anyway will be more powerfull than my current laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
              Quite a few details have already been confirmed. It's based on Mer (glibc, systemd, GNU coreutils & all) and Nemo Mobile. It uses Wayland, PulseAudio, oFono, GStreamer, Qt, Maliit...
              Well i failed to find mail server, cron and bootloader (u-boot?)

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                Well i failed to find mail server, cron and bootloader (u-boot?)
                When you have standard core os in place installing stuff like mail servers and cron is trivial.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  I can't understand how so many people here are trying to guess the fucking price of the phone, when the pre-orders time just ended this week and price was well set.

I pre-odererd one and the total I'll have to pay for the phone with tazes included in europe will be 400? in total. I preordered with 100?, so when they finally annouce it in the Q4 I'll just have to give 300?.
                  The question isn't the price in Europe, it is the price in the U.S. At least here in Germany, the price of an electronic device in Euros is usually about the same as the price on the U.S. in dollars. So a 400? device here generally costs about $400 in the U.S., which doesn't make any sense in terms of exchange rates.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                    The question isn't the price in Europe, it is the price in the U.S. At least here in Germany, the price of an electronic device in Euros is usually about the same as the price on the U.S. in dollars. So a 400? device here generally costs about $400 in the U.S., which doesn't make any sense in terms of exchange rates.
                    Well I don't even think they are much concerned about US, their primary target is Asia and Europe with all the partnerships they already have.
                    But I believe they will do whatever is normal practices by those other big companys do when they sell there.

400? is in my acceptable range and I really like the software stack they are using as well the device itself, I think it's beautiful. And the interface is the first one that fucking makes sense when I look at it. I trully have problems understanding some os the interface in Android devices.

And it makes sense that the device is not yet annouced with full specs. If peple think about it they annouced it like one year ago, in the mean time technology advances, and without annoucing X or Y feature early on they can adapt and use more recent or capable hardware / features.

Comment

I'm quite sure the hardware has been known for quite some time already. They just won't announce more details to give flexibility in marketing/get more publicity by revealing it at the right time.

Comment

Working...
                      X