No announcement yet.

Wayland, Weston 1.2 Release Candidate Are Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here a video that shows wayland running on raspbian also running x apps with XWayland
    Last edited by TheOne; 10 July 2013, 11:27 AM.

Comment

35 contributors. Not bad.

That is really promising!

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        XWayland is not made for running whole desktops. Running a full X11-Desktop on top of Wayland -- just to be able to tell, that you are running Wayland -- makes no sense at all. It will only make things worse, performance and stability wise.
        Of course it makes no sense, and the only reason that Canonical is pushing it for Mir is because they don't have anything else to show, but because they are quite used to being in that situation, they are falling back on a simple confidence trick and hoping the people will confuse the two. And unfortunately some people have.

Comment

Hah too bad this is the internet because we could make this interesting by betting which will be the official replacement to X11. Personally, I'm 60% sure Mir is going to come out on top, though I would prefer if wayland did.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Hah too bad this is the internet because we could make this interesting by betting which will be the official replacement to X11. Personally, I'm 60% sure Mir is going to come out on top, though I would prefer if wayland did.
            And because this is the internet, YOU can try influencing whether Wayland or Mir will be used in the end...

Multi-Seat support is awesome! I'm still wondering how that works with regard to the rendernode work being done.

Serafean

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              Seriously, which major distro is going too? I'm bored of waiting.

If wayland is so advanced and so far along and prefect in every way, such that the angels cry in its presense, why are you distros not installing it and running their GUI environments in XWayland? (People who don't want to run like this can just uninstall wayland, install xorg)

So, very very very tired of waiting. Someone has to take the leap and do it. Let users break it and say what is and is not working.
              well wayland will go public ever? when good enough and only when few glitches corner cases are expected

Mir will reach users first if they dont hurry? well to be honest no even 1 developer give a rat ass about it, for wayland there no risk at all in waiting until is good enough, is just that simple

why, OMG ubuntu the desktop OS for the world bla bla bla? Wayland is backed by FSF freedesktop.org and Xorg foundation to start with and is been backed and supported by Samsung, Digia, Intel, AMD, RedHat just to name some fortune 500 companies add to that the community and basically every toolkit and software with a GUI on linux, so unlike canonical they don't have to force alpha software + ugly hacks so ppl can say OMGz Mir can move windows!!!, if you wanna test wayland use Arch or Gentoo, if you are not an advanced user wait for fedora 20[native wayland support with gtk and gnome 3.10]

XWayland, so ppl can see windows moving too? unlike canonical wayland devs don't get in the wild alpha software or incomplete projects, XWayland was a toy needed to test a point that revealed some weaknesses in the stack that are been fixed since then and some that will come with DRI3000, until then XWayland is on freeze but canonical in their desperation to show something and make some PR is pushing software that is not meant to be public + very ugly hacks[XServer fullscreen on top of Mir is horribly wrong]

if ubuntu first mir win bla bla bla? well ask in Nvidia or AMD forums where their Linux money come from[hint: ubuntu is many many million dollars away] and check which projects that distro support, that should be answer enough and no Games are not massive enough yet to reduce the money income difference enough for their to care beyond give standard EGL support.

why XMir is good enough for canonical then? well canonical jumped waters thinking their preach would be listened and it was not[regular uses don't count here, they don't port software or do anything technically useful] and launching a project with that much PR to find out 5m later they decided to make this "server-compositor-thingy" based on wayland myths that nobody in canonical was smart enough to crosscheck proving all their technical reason were absolutely wrong[and piss off to death every developer out there that could be useful for the project] killed all the probable support from the community and their credibility as a bussiness, so right now their trying to recover somehow making this PR monkey show with XMir[this code is so hacky that i doubt even microsoft will publish it] trying to win average joes users and see if they can put pressure enough[is not working tho, all their Mir patches or begs for help receive an appropiate fuck off, read mailing lists]

anyway wayland should be native and available in most distros this year for Gnome and EFL, and Q1 2014 for first KDE SC 5 betas releases[including kubuntu]

and fedora rawhide should have gnome 3.10 in repos, you can try that too

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                well wayland will go public ever? when good enough and only when few glitches corner cases are expected

Mir will reach users first if they dont hurry? well to be honest no even 1 developer give a rat ass about it, for wayland there no risk at all in waiting until is good enough, is just that simple
                The problem isn't so much Wayland itself any more, the big thing holding us back are the toolkits and desktop environments. There is little point having Wayland if pretty much nothing runs on it without a compatibility layer. And here Mir is in far worse condition than Wayland is, since there are many toolkits being ported to Wayland, but little indication of any being ported to Mir as of yet.

Comment

Arch Linux

As others have mentioned, wayland and weston are shipped in the official repositories for Arch Linux, and the versions of gtk3, clutter, and EFL shipped with that distro are compiled to use it.

YMMV, I was able to launch weston in X and run the toy apps, but when I tried running it standalone I ended up with a corrupt display. (Looked like it could have been a modeline issue, but I figured it was too early at the time and didn't pursue it further. I may if it still happens in 1.2)

Edit: for more info https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
                    As others have mentioned, wayland and weston are shipped in the official repositories for Arch Linux, and the versions of gtk3, clutter, and EFL shipped with that distro are compiled to use it.

YMMV, I was able to launch weston in X and run the toy apps, but when I tried running it standalone I ended up with a corrupt display. (Looked like it could have been a modeline issue, but I figured it was too early at the time and didn't pursue it further. I may if it still happens in 1.2)

Edit: for more info https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wayland
                    you need to get mesa 9.2, i use this pkgbuild http://pkgbuild.com/~lcarlier/mesa-git/x86_64/ and if you use radeon you can get ag5df kernel here

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                      Seriously, which major distro is going too? I'm bored of waiting.

If wayland is so advanced and so far along and prefect in every way, such that the angels cry in its presense, why are you distros not installing it and running their GUI environments in XWayland? (People who don't want to run like this can just uninstall wayland, install xorg)

So, very very very tired of waiting. Someone has to take the leap and do it. Let users break it and say what is and is not working.
                      Why would anyone want to run a desktop on top of XWayland? Do you actually think that would be good in any way?

Let's see, for *native* Wayland (the only thing that makes sense), mesa is not ready in upstream, X.org is not ready in upstream to provide XWayland support for *apps*, desktops are not completely ready. So, let's think, we have distros that either care for their users or don't want to waste their time on downstream patches to mesa an X.org. Then, you have Canonical. I just tried yesterday Xubuntu on XMir and I'm very disappointed. Things where the use of a layer should actually be irrelevant (why would globbing in the terminal take half a minute under XMir when is approximately instantly on X.org, if that has nothing to do with graphics?) are awfully slower on a Radeon 3200. And I always use the open source drivers, so don't blame R600g, because it works like a charm with X. They expect to have this on people's computers in three months.

Enjoy being beta testers, I liked it when I did it by my own choice several times.

Comment

Working...
                      X