Mir Development Stats Dominated By Canonical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oleid View Post
    I'm curious... do you have an example? For KDE...
    cant find the quote from back then (the KDE vs MIR issue brings alot of false positives)

They need to do the transition to Qt5 as this one includes a wayland backend. As for KWIN, according to the main maintainer, they are working on it since 2011... The work started by refactoring the code base in order to support it.

Maybe GNOME and KDE take the transition more important nowadays, however, claiming they didn't talk about it is not true.
    Yes, there was some preparation before MIR. But to say MIR didnt have an effect on the wayland transition isnt true, too. Like i said it got pushed to the top of the TODOs where it was not before MIR. The truth lies anywhere between us both, imho.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
      Yes, there was some preparation before MIR. But to say MIR didnt have an effect on the wayland transition isnt true, too.
      As I said: Maybe GNOME and KDE take the transition more important nowadays [...]

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
        Yes, there was some preparation before MIR. But to say MIR didnt have an effect on the wayland transition isnt true, too. Like i said it got pushed to the top of the TODOs where it was not before MIR. The truth lies anywhere between us both, imho.
        More wayland coverage and more wayland communication because of Mir announcement, maybe. More work because of Mir, certainly not. It did happen at approximately the same time, but that's because wayland protocol was made stable at approx this time, RB OS (shipping wayland) was made available just a little before, Qt 5 (for which the wayland back-end was added) became ready at approx the same time (do you really think that the schedule of Qt 5 was influenced in any way by the Mir announcement?), etc...
        Canonical announced Mir just when wayland pieces were coming together, and when most of the remaining work could be started. But just because things happen at the same time, doesn't mean there is a causality link between them.

Comment

Shocking news, that only Canonical is working on Mir.
          Yes, I brought that up in the previous Mir discussion concerning copyright assignment, are there any outside developers for Unity? As far as I can tell, Canonical aren't really interested nor expecting in any outside help, not for Unity or for Mir (or likely any other in-house projects).

The reason they are into duplicating effort is that of control and I suppose also strong integration into Ubuntu, the latter may end up making it hard to support Mir outside of Ubuntu's ecosystem, as seems to be the case with Unity.

But why did they clone Alan Griffiths, Alexandros Frantzis and Christopher James Halse Rogers?
          LOL yes, how could he miss this? I mean 'Christopher James Halse Rogers', in such a short list of 19 entries, how could he not see a long standout name like this be duplicated? So 19 developers should be 16.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            And they're progressing faster than wayland which has been in limbo for so many years.
            Based upon what? Lines of code?

The increase in lines of code could just aswell be a ton of 'TO-DO' comments or as someone said, lots of different test code which will be pruned once the best approach has been found.

The interesting metric here is what they actually do, I suppose we will see some sort of comparison once Mir is up and running in a state to which it can be compared to Wayland, but until that happens we have no idea of where Mir stands in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
              Based upon what? Lines of code?

The increase in lines of code could just aswell be a ton of 'TO-DO' comments or as someone said, lots of different test code which will be pruned once the best approach has been found.

The interesting metric here is what they actually do, I suppose we will see some sort of comparison once Mir is up and running in a state to which it can be compared to Wayland, but until that happens we have no idea of where Mir stands in comparison.
              Don't forget that Mir is written in C++ Boost opposed to Wayland which is written in C.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                More wayland coverage and more wayland communication because of Mir announcement, maybe. More work because of Mir, certainly not.
                Indeed. As a matter of fact, the total number of commits in Wayland during the previous month is... 7. Sure is speeding, eh? Though they seem to have shifted focus to Weston, which received quite a lot of commits (145), though it's still lower than at the same time last year.

Comment

Michael writes a Mir article at least once every two days, just to get the forum all spun up and get more page views.

Comment

Hey, you know what would really get this thread to a 10 pages? Three letters.

CDL
                    GPL
                    BSD

I'm getting my popcorn and flame retardant pants.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      Indeed. As a matter of fact, the total number of commits in Wayland during the previous month is... 7. Sure is speeding, eh? Though they seem to have shifted focus to Weston, which received quite a lot of commits (145), though it's still lower than at the same time last year.
                      Wayland is a PROTOCOL Mir is actually a SERVER like X11 but without the fat, if you can't tell the difference means you are not an engineer or you wasted a lot of time and money in that university. In simple english Mir will always be bigger because Mir actually render and control the clients processes where Wayland don't do anything else than define a new GPU Language specifically designed to handle desktop operations[memory buffer, resource allocation and surface tracking + input] and the client[Qt5/Gtk3/EFL/etc] using the wayland PROTOCOL do everything including rendering.

another thing is that wayland as an PROTOCOL just miss few bits here and there[wayland don't minimize because is a PROTOCOL the clients do] since most of the protocol is in a freeze already and most of those few bits missing will land in 1.2 release[sub surfaces allocations and overlay improvements ].

Qt5.1 + Qtwayland QPA already run quite nice on wayland and gnome 3 git almost works perfectly already if you wanna test it[i recommend gentoo for it, in ubuntu you will loose your sanity trying], so once Qt 5.1 and Gtk+ 3.9[couple of months from now] get released you will have wayland support out of the box and just have to wait for KDE5 and Gnome 3.10/12 releases to have a full wayland desktop

Comment

Working...
                      X