Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-Fighting Continues Over Mir On Non-Unity Ubuntu

Phoronix: In-Fighting Continues Over Mir On Non-Unity Ubuntu

For those looking for the latest drama in the Ubuntu Linux land, the fighting over whether KDE and GNOME should support the Mir Display Server to complement the in-development Wayland support continues to be hotly discussed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fighting over peace...

Comment

It just seems that Canonical lives in a different universe. It's going to take a lot more to convince people to adopt Mir. Even if Mir were technically superior to Wayland, the fact that it only runs in one place makes it very difficult to justify working on, especially when the path to making GNOME or KDE compatible with Mir has far more obstacles than what's currently happening with Wayland.

I don't have a problem with Mir being used for Ubuntu, as Unity is already an Ubuntu-specific interface that's extremely difficult to get working on other distros. But it's just silly to expect other people to support Mir so far ahead, without the technical means or the social imperative to do so.

Comment

Linux comes off as really amateurish.

Comment

Mir dev's "We would like to port kde to Mir ourselves, but we just need some pointers"

Kde dev "Go fuck yourselves"

Zealots "See, Ubuntu doesn't try to work with upstream"

Everyone else "The hell?"

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            Mir dev's "We would like to port kde to Mir ourselves, but we just need some pointers"

Nice summary. I just read the whole thread and got exactly the same impression.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

Which KDE dev are you referring to? I didn't see any KDE developers on there, just some kubuntu maintainers.

I also saw the same kubuntu developers suggest that if Mir developers wanted to talk to KDE developers, they should contact the KDE developers directly. The Mir developers refused, insisting it was the kubuntu developers' responsibility to organize a discussion for them. And then the Mir developers complained that upstream didn't want to talk to them.

Mir developers also apparently read Martin's blog post, but showed absolutely no interest in addressing any of his technical points, they just kept complaining about one sentence about bugs in the Ubuntu graphics stack, repeatedly demanding that the Kubuntu developers list the bugs even though the Kubuntu developers repeatedly explained that they didn't know anything about those bugs.
              Last edited by TheBlackCat; 18 June 2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Wayland may come to Ubuntu

"I think the best way for us to continue to engage with upstreams at this point is to make sure that the Wayland protocol can work on Ubuntu. I don't see support for multiple protocols happening in GNOME/KDE/others, as that's quite contrary to every project's goal (including Unity!)"

Comment

did you see what the ubuntu developer said about wayland

"Wayland has yet to advance beyond the level of a pet project - not
                  something production-ready that projects can rely on in a shipping release"

what a Dick

Comment

Xubuntu

I use Xubuntu and are a very vocal supporter of it. But it kind of ticks me off that the devs of Xubuntu have been so quiet on this issue, last I heard they said it shouldn't be a problem. I'm starting to get very upset at this whole situation with Canonical. In recent day's I've been giving Debian 7.1 a hard look but it seems like there are things missing that put me off. Critical things that are missing is the ease that *buntu has of installing AMD/Nvidia drivers via Jockey-gtk; I have to manually type out some things via the terminal in Debian and edit the Xorg config...yes for you old hats it's cool but for people whom have moved from Windows to Linux it's just not.

Also missing, of course is the Software Center and over the past few day's I've been reading horror stories about Unity games and other games having issues running in Debian. It's one of those things you want as an alternative, but there is this brick wall staring at you. I'd choose Mint except it's just too crash happy on my systems and those guys are very moody about people asking for ways to buy software. I've seen people lose their mod rights for asking about bringing the Software Center to Mint...not cool.

My only other option it seems is dirty Windows, but you couldn't pay me to use that again. So now I'm in limbo, hoping they can all work this out and wishing the Xubuntu team would be more vocal.

Comment

Working...
                    X