Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir Still Causing Concerns By Ubuntu Derivatives

Phoronix: Mir Still Causing Concerns By Ubuntu Derivatives

With Canonical's planned adoption of their in-house Mir Display Server over the next year rather than using an X.Org Server or Wayland, derivatives such as KDE-based Kubuntu continue to fear the change and what exactly the options will be...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe they can get around mir or maybe they can use mint which deviates from ubuntu a bit more to get it to work, either merging with mint or just making some hybrid between the two.

Comment

Wayland

Just go with Wayland.

Comment

My vote is for the whole Kubuntu team effort focusing on keeping Netrunner as the only distribution by Blue Systems. Making Netrunner derived directly from Debian instead of Ubuntu, and use Wayland. BlueSystems could provide the equipment/infrastructure for packaging and for repositories.
        Last edited by YAFU; 14 June 2013, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by qlum View Post
          Maybe they can get around mir or maybe they can use mint which deviates from ubuntu a bit more to get it to work, either merging with mint or just making some hybrid between the two.
          Yeah, my guess is that one of the derivatives (maybe mint) will go to the work of adding Wayland in. Then all the other ubuntu derivatives can just derive from Mint, or whatever distro ends up doing that.

Unless it's simple enough that they can all just easily add in Wayland support, in which case there's nothing to worry about.

If no one is able to add Wayland support in, then someone will probably do the reverse and take Debian and add in most of what Ubuntu currently does, and again the current Ubuntu derivatives could base off that one.

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
            My vote is for the whole Kubuntu team effort focusing on keeping Netrunner as the only distribution by Blue Systems. Making Netrunner derived directly from Debian instead of Ubuntu, and use Wayland. BlueSystems could provide the equipment/infrastructure for packaging and for repositories.
            Kubuntu derived from Debian makes no sense. They would have to rename the distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              Kubuntu derived from Debian makes no sense. They would have to rename the distribution.
              Sorry for my English if it is not understood what I meant.
              With what I have said before, the name "Kubuntu" is not used anymore (dies). The Kubuntu team should join the "Netrunner" team and that's the name of the distribution that would be maintained.

Comment

That is what PPAs are for

Xorg and Wayland PPAs already exist. How hard can it be to add one or the other to Kubuntu? Admittedly the PPAs are not official and lack resources, but they seem to do a pretty good job of keeping up. The Debian stacks should also be an option if there is no Ubuntu stack to conflict with - A Debian Xorg PPA anyone?

Comment

I can't see why Mir specific patches aren't an option for KWin and Kubuntu.
                  Sure, the KWin project may be unreasonable in refusing to upstream Mir patches, but they could still make it run on that platform unofficially.

Comment

If there's any positive end I see to Mir, is that it will kill off a massive % of all the stupid and unnecessary ubuntu-based derivatives. Not to say that the core derivatives (lubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, etc) are stupid, but clearly canonical isn't part of the community anymore. They still contribute their own software to the community, which is nice, but they don't want to be apart of the rest of the community in any way. I don't see this as a problem, because Ubuntu is kind of heading into own category at this point, much like android.

Comment

Working...
                    X