Reasons For Losing Motivation In Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ᘜᕟᗃᒟ View Post
    Well Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Gnome Ubuntu and Manjaro + the communiy releases, Arch, Backtrack, Fedora, Sabayon, Mint linux. Basically anything that is not vanilla Ubuntu.
    Well, I use Xubuntu, actually. But since Ubuntu doesn't use Mir just yet, I don't care.

Comment

First off it seems two of the bugs where fixed (patches created) right after Darxus sent his email (and one no longer even affected him). The only oustanding issue is the unit tests which isnt really a reason to stop playing with Wayland.

Second,

Darxus, a Wayland enthusiast and Phoronix Forums moderator
      Wow. Phoronix has forum moderators, this is the real news in that story. Maybe Michael should write an article about how all the forum moderators lost motivation.
      Last edited by timothyja; 12 June 2013, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        All Ubuntu derivatives will eventually ship Mir. Desktops like Xfce may run via the X11 compatibility layer (XMir) but they'll ship Mir nonetheless.
        There are plenty of easy to use Linux distributions that are not based on Ubuntu. Don't like Mir? Just switch. It's so easy.
        You don't know that. Kubuntu, for example, is clearly considering not shipping Mir.

It remains to be seen exactly how complicated it will be to strip out. If it's easy, i bet some won't. If it's baked into the very core of Ubuntu and almost impossible to remove, then you're probably right and it will remain in all derivatives.

Comment

Reading the email thread made this stuff look pretty good actually.
          Someone replied quickly and fixed the stuff that was complained about, offered support for everything, too.
          The only thing that doesn't seems fixed are the failing cairo tests, but those can be ignored until they're fixed.

They're also not wayland's "fault" or direct responsibility as others pointed out already.

Thus I'm not sure if theres much reason to badmouth wayland right now. If anything, reading the emails make it looks nice.

Comment

All Ubuntu derivatives will eventually ship Mir. Desktops like Xfce may run via the X11 compatibility layer (XMir) but they'll ship Mir nonetheless.
            There are plenty of easy to use Linux distributions that are not based on Ubuntu. Don't like Mir? Just switch. It's so easy.
            Why would an xfce distro want an extra display server that they couldn't even make use of, just running under x for no particular reason? Doesn't make any sense for them.

I think if Ubuntu makes it too hard to strip Mir, a lot of derivatives are going to be rebasing or quitting...

Comment

closed drivers

EGL drivers are much easier to develop, especially since they are shared between surface flinger, mir, and ubuntu, and close to what OSX is using (well, EGL is a standard after all).
              There is absolutely no doubt that NVidia will produce a closed wayland compatible driver. But obviously as long as Wayland is not in a shipping state, they wont commit themselves, let alone commercially support a driver.

Comment

Same looking is not same

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                But the end result is the same.
                For end users sitting on their chairs as a plum in pudding it sounds. For active people trying negotiate, patching, developing etc. definitely not. Same result invoke different activities... -> opensource is the field suited for solution, proprietary only if they meet their budget and boss's schemes.

Comment

I missed the point. I just commented I use Xubuntu because someone tried to disqualify a serious concern just because someone uses Ubuntu. This was obviously based in the presumption 'Ubuntu user == Mir supporter == Wayland detractor', which is false. I use Xubuntu right now because I installed it far before their Mir announcement and I don't have the time nor the will to switch to another distro right now. And I don't dislike Mir as itself (as I said in my first post, I'm not pretty sure what is the idea behind, it's not clear to me), but I don't support it either.
                  But, I'm aware Canonical can't care less about me, and Mir as tech isn't necessarily bad (again, I'm not sure what is it as tech), so I might even give it a try before switching. But my bet is on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    One of the downsides I see is that there appears to be as much developer interest in Wayland as there is in X.
                    Let's see, there are a lot of applications developed for X. The X.org releases are also fairly common. So if what you say is true, then Wayland is in a pretty good position indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by ᘜᕟᗃᒟ View Post
                      If I could get PM and reasonable clock switching and Digital Vibrancy on my Quadro 140m I'd pay $30-$50 a month and wash and feed the developers myself. "Ain't nobody got time fo' Nvidia BS."
                      Googled that up, digital vibrancy a fairly simple post-processing effect. You could add it to the gallium pp system and have vibrant colors on all gallium drivers

Comment

Working...
                      X