X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temar
    replied
    Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
    Buy an Intel card. Their work as Open Source Development Centre deserve it.
    Yes, Intel drivers work quite well.

About nvidia, there is always a middle finger available for them and for their ancient, cronic and stupid way of thinking.
    Wayland is the future, with or without nvidia.
    Withtout proprietary drivers, Wayland is a lost cause. Nvidia and even AMD open source drivers are still no match for their proprietary counterparts and they won't be for a very long time. There are just too many AMD and Nvidia cards out there so without the proprietary drivers, people will just not use Wayland.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by brosis View Post
    I had a Xi 1554 with Mobility X1900 and it drove 3D desktop just fine in low profile.
    Good for you. For RadeonHD 4250 users (and that GPU is very common in laptops), it is not so rosy.

Leave a comment:

• Pajn
    replied
    Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    Unit testing is *not* a magic bullet. It's certainly a very useful tool for developers, but having automated tests isn't going magically transform your development process such that bugs and breaks never occur. There's plenty of crap code out there with 100% test coverage...
    Unit testing will make sure that a specific function works and will continue to work. And if you, for every single bug that passes your testing suite creates new test to cover that bug you can make sure that you will never get the same bug again.
    With a huge testing suite you should encounter far less regressions than a untested project. However for bugs in new code the test doesn't help very much.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
    That is the right approach. Their driver are closing the gap about the OpenGL pretty fastly. Soon they will achieve the parity with the last specification and from that time they will stay on pair easily. The power of their GPU increase year by year so as the optimization and power consumption. So buy Intel.
    About nvidia, there is always a middle finger available for them and for their ancient, cronic and stupid way of thinking.
    lol

this forum is the best

Leave a comment:

• valeriodean
    replied
    About driver...

That is the right approach. Their driver are closing the gap about the OpenGL pretty fastly. Soon they will achieve the parity with the last specification and from that time they will stay on pair easily. The power of their GPU increase year by year so as the optimization and power consumption. So buy Intel.

Leave a comment:

• computerquip
    replied
    This article has specifically gone out of its way to piss me off it seems. The problems stated are not even Wayland issues but have deducted Wayland's reputation. Regardless of the viability of current Wayland, this article is complete and utter FUD with a misleading title. Regardless of that, if you read the mailing list, support was still provided in response to the post for both cairo and mesa bugs, which is laughingly all it takes to get someone to notice a problem. There is no need for some bullshit drama that has now been caused over a single post of a frustrated individual.

Be realistic please... it's fine to not use Wayland now... there's not enough application support for every day use yet. Even finding a capable web browser, especially one that we're familiar with, is a very daunting task. That does not reduce the potential or usability of Wayland itself, only the usability of those applications that have yet to bring such support.

Stop inadvertently blaming wayland for things it cannot and will never control.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by Pajn View Post
    Well, there is XWayland too.

But I agree Cairo and Mesa should also be fully unit tested.
    Unit testing is *not* a magic bullet. It's certainly a very useful tool for developers, but having automated tests isn't going magically transform your development process such that bugs and breaks never occur. There's plenty of crap code out there with 100% test coverage...

Leave a comment:

• brosis
    replied
    Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
    Well, as a Nouveau developer working on power management, I must say that power management on Nouveau is far from full! We managed to get some initial power management for some cards, but it isn't stable for others. We are still working on reverse engineering all that!
    Hi MuPuF! I have suggested prior that you guys use kickstarter-ish scheme for this: realistic goals - money - donations - mercenary work.
    My vision is that there is no need to posses 100 developers, there is need for good organization where personal interests (I am *not* talking about altruism here) will drive the development. And 100 developers will come.

For example, you could start to use phoronix mass media, to post monthly refresher on:
    - accomplished goals (essentially changelog)
    - ongoing efforts, requiring attention (for contributors)
    - required efforts, requiring known specific donation (for supporters and mercenary developers)
    - hardware requirements, for those interested in hardware donation
    - testing USB images, for people interested in ability to run your tests on their nvidia hardware, effortlessly and without interaction; and then submit data to you.

I understand that you run it as a student project, but if you don't take it seriously, nothing serious can emerge. You know it anyways, so don't take this as a rant

Leave a comment:

• NaNaNa
    replied
    @ML who spewed forth this gibberish in the "article":
    Cairo's current build testing is a mess.
    Cairo has nothing, I repeat nothing whatsoever to do with Wayland. Stop trolling the community, ML.

Leave a comment:

• Pajn
    replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    beside remember wayland xwayland mesa Xorg drivers Xorg+dri3000 are being developed in parallallel, so is not like they are sitting in their asses watching the roof and Canonical's Mir just leech this changes since they don't contribute anything at all giving the sensation that Mir is getting done faster which is false. make OSS stack license incompatible with Mir from X to Kernel modules and lets see how fast can Mir rewrite all that code themselves
    Well the whole point whit open source is that you should take what's good.
    Also Wayland developers are also leeching on Mesa, Cairo, the Linux kernel or whatever.

Why should people who write a display server write drivers? And why should people who write drivers have to write a display server?
    If every single project had to develop a whole new os including kernel, drivers, display server themselves we would be stuck in in the stone-age.

I also find the critic very funny on another plane 'cause if Canonical started to create their own drivers people would scream Not In Home instead.

Guess you are never going to be happy? My recommendation, chill out and have a beer instead.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X