No announcement yet.

The Wayland Situation: Facts About X vs. Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This article is not about X versus wayland. It is just a wayland advert. All of X disadvantage are simply lies.

BTW there are many other display server, like Xvesa, Xfree86, or framebufferUI work well too.

Comment

Great articel!

I'd also like to see an init system comparison. Would be cool if you could throw OpenRC into the mix if you feel competent enough to comment on it.
      A group of people started maintaining it for Arch Linux as systemd replacement.

This question might be hard to answer from your perspective but do you think that with Wayland/Mir it will/would be easier for AMD/NVIDIA to maintain their Linux drivers? AMD seems to have trouble keeping up with the latest X.Org version from what I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Siuoq View Post
        This article is not about X versus wayland. It is just a wayland advert. All of X disadvantage are simply lies.

BTW there are many other display server, like Xvesa, Xfree86, or framebufferUI work well too.
        Oh really? I'm sorry, would you like to take it up with Keith Packard? Daniel Stone? Dave Airlie? You know... The X Developers, and in Keith's case an X boardmember?

Xvesa and FramebufferUi can HARDLY be considered display Servers. And Xorg was FORKED from XFree86 years ago.

You're a troll plain and simple.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by spacetoilet View Post
          Q Will Wayland include a firewall you let you add one in to it?

Q Will Wayland have all the tool kits Needed to develop in desktop and Mobile space aswell? by the time Wayland releases?

Q Will Wayland space toilets (like Mir)
          A) X doesn't have a firewall to begin with... All Linux firewalls aside from a couple are just wrappers around the kernel's built in firewall.

A) Qt5, GTK3.6 and up, and EFL all have Wayland support right now. So...Yes.

A) ....Thats not a real question, or at least its not one in English
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Siuoq View Post

Xvesa runs untrusted code with full privileges, and is therefore a fairly insecure X server. The Xvesa server should only be used in trusted environments

XFree86 is the premier open source X11-based desktop infrastructure

framebufferUI fast in-kernel GUI windowing system for Linux in-kernel=insecure?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
              6. Is the coordinate counter count the total number of pixels, or the pixel along a particular axis? This isn't clear from the description.
              Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              6) 99% sure its total number of pixels, so X & Y together. I didn't find any information to make me think otherwise.
              It is quite obvious it is only for a single axis, not for the total number of pixels. To see this, consider that the old counter was only 15bits long, so it could count 32768 pixels at most. That wouldn't even be enough to hold 800x600(=480000) pixels if it was for the total number, but obviously X11 can support much larger resolutions. Consequently, these counters must be for holding buffer widths and heights, not for the total number of pixels. Think before you answer next time.

Comment

A) X doesn't have a firewall to begin with... All Linux firewalls aside from a couple are just wrappers around the kernel's built in firewall.

A) Qt5, GTK3.6 and up, and EFL all have Wayland support right now. So...Yes.

A) ....Thats not a real question, or at least its not one in English
                thanks for the reply and on 3 i forgot to include the include and it is good you point out development toolkits are ready

Comment

Gonna go in reverse order...

Of course there's a war against the definition of lightweight. Lightweight is relative. In comparison to Core X11 even EFL is "Heavyweight." What I consider lightweight and what you consider lightweight are gonna be different.

Did you check powertop's Tunables tab? See if all the powersaving features are correctly enabled, that may save you a few degrees. The other option, and its gonna sound stupid but... did you make sure all the fans and vents were clean? Its one of those stupid, obvious things that even the experienced tinkerers seem to forget sometimes. I'm not saying you're -WRONG- about OpenGL raising the system-temp, but its not something I've experienced. Granted that may be because I'm on Sandy Bridge with no discrete GPU therefore CPU or GPU doesn't matter, the chip has to be woken up regardless.
                  first, i don't quite get what you're saying. Cpu and gpu have very separate power states ,gating and idling, and even if they are on the same silicon and share the cache, they are in no way the same chip and DO NOT get woken up at the same time or and for the same reason, and that was especially true on the thinkpad and the atom netbook, where the igp was on the northbridge.The powertop tunables are all forced to be active by the tlp script, and where there is no tlp i usually got done that manually. also, i'm used to completely remouve the cooling for cleaning(the desktop for a while was on liquid cooling) and the fan would not spin on either windows 8 or 7, while on the thinkpad i would often have lower medium temps with linux in respect to windows(but best was with opengl disabled)

I want to thank you for answering me with reason and the right amount of skepticism and with analisis and due thought. I don't get that very often.

Comment

Basically, yes. Keep in mind EGL is just like OpenGL, OpenGL ES, or DirectX. Its just another video standard. The difference being EGL is targeted at Mobile, like OpenGL ES. Full desktop OpenGL is being worked on with Wayland, the problem is GLX pulls in all of X. So we need a new GL library for desktop GL.
                    That doesn't exactly match my understanding. The way I understand it, there are several drawing api's (OpenGL, OpenVG, OpenGL ES, Direct 3d), and then there's another layer (traditionally GLX or AIGLX) below that for creating a context and letting those APIs interface with windows. My understanding, though I may be wrong, is that EGL is meant to replace X's GLX or Apple's CGL with one cross platform standard.

Comment

Question for everyone else: Would you guys be interested in a systemd / SysV / Upstart comparison as well? I was toying around with the idea in my head, hadn't made up my mind yet.
                      If you want to do that, I can put you in touch with Lennart and Kay to ensure the systemd details are technically correct, if you like. PM or email me.

Comment

Working...
                      X