• Show
Clear All

• nerdopolis
    replied
    Originally posted by Rexilion View Post

Apps are having issue's, like:

Code:
    beccaholic@beccaholic:/$ ksnapshot
    ksnapshot: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkipi.so.10: undefined symbol: _ZNK13KXMLGUIClient13componentDataEv
    beccaholic@beccaholic:/$
    Too bad, cannot post screenshots . Furthermore, I think the LiveCD would be more accessible if the author used a cli.seed and build further on that. The entire KDE suite seems to be installed (who cares?)

Final note: Posted from (X)Wayland! Now, back to the 80's...

EDIT: Quitting the browser from within (File -> Exit) does not work (lol!).
    To get KDE apps to work, you have to run them from the xterm xwayland app, because I have it set to use the default variables. The wayland terminal has the /opt in it's library paths. ...KDE apps crash because I have KDE frameworks in /opt (or you can just run
    xwaylandapp konsole
    for example to get an x program started with the default variables)

As for the screenshot, the Super+s, should save the screenshot in your /home/username . The built in screenshooter tool that comes with weston does not have a GUI,

and because of security, only special apps called directly by weston itself, like the weston screenshooter have access to capture the entire display, so that's why ksnapshot won't work.
    Last edited by nerdopolis; 26 May 2013, 08:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
    For who needs to do a screenshot:
    clicking on the INFO icon on the top bar, you can see all the keybind of weston, such as the screenshot (super + s, if I remember right) and record a video (maybe super +r?), etc
    Hmm, speaking of which, does ffmpeg x11grab work on Wayland, or will there be a "wgrab"?

Leave a comment:

• Rexilion
    replied
    clicking on the INFO icon on the top bar, you can see all the keybind of weston, such as the screenshot (super + s, if I remember right) and record a video (maybe super +r?), etc
    I tried 'Windows_key + S' and it seemed to do something (nothing visual). I tried to paste it at ctrlv.in but it would not work as the site claims that Javascript is disabled (which is not). I did not find any other suitable piece of software to do this.

I did verify that the executable to create screenshots is there.

I also tried KDE's screencapture. Started the first time, hanged when I pressed the button to make a screenshot. Never started afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• valeriodean
    replied
    Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
    And I still stand by what I said: it is moronic to waste time on a distribution that shows off just one single piece of software. Learn to read bro.
    I'm not your bro and I don't need to read a stupid statement more time than one.
    The display server is pretty important and wayland is a topic under discussion by months, so for who is interested in the new display server, an X.Org-free distro has all the reason for exist, instead of your useless opinion on how the people should use their time.

Leave a comment:

• Rexilion
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Based on your experience I can assume that Wayland and XWayland are still not ready for adoption by the end-user?

Faults like having no chrome, no buttons and menus that don't work properly (can't even quit) does not sound anything close to 'usable' as of now.
    Nope, I guess it's all mostly related to the toolkits implementing corresponding Wayland functionality. However, as I pointed out above: The .iso itself seems to suffer from some issue's not directly related to wayland (e.g. the undefined symbol error). If this is experience is a hard baseline for the quality of Wayland, then (IMHO) we are almost there.

For those who want to play with the CD, it's mostly a Kubuntu LiveCD with two added packages:
    • wayland-rbos
    • weston-rbos

You can play with them by listing their contents like this:
    Code:
    dpkg -L wayland-rbos | less
    I managed to find some more examples and stuff. Also the launcher contains a Wayland specific subsection containing the demo's (altough, many of them don't seem to work).

EDIT: You also mentioned 'chrome'. I guess you are referring to 'Google Chrome'. That is a case apart (from what I have heard) as it uses some direct X calls bypassing the toolkits. So it will take an effort of the Google developers to make it work on Wayland. Don't know when that will happen though... This also depends on how much is actually bypassing the toolkits.
    Last edited by Rexilion; 26 May 2013, 07:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rexilion
    replied
    Originally posted by asdx
    Ok sorry, I love Wayland, and I like that this distro is nice way to test it, I just can't stand all these Justin Bieber, Rebecca Black, Hannah Montana names for Linux distros, I mean, I'm sick of it.
    I'm sorry you are still suffering from childhood neglect issue's. Get help.

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
    And I still stand by what I said: it is moronic to waste time on a distribution that shows off just one single piece of software. Learn to read bro.
    Yeah, testing new inventions before releasing them to the general public for production deployment. How stupid.

Please, take your frustrations elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
    Yeah, found it!

The demo browser contained some 'artwork' homepage. I almost had my Phoronix post ready from the LiveCD until it crashed . Seems like programs are not capable of restarting.
    • Most applications (XWayland only?) contain no window buttons (maximize, close, minimize)
    • Focus works when clicking, but no autofocus
    • Drop-down menu's still show up somewhat randomly
    • Knetworkmanager flickers heavily
    • Cannot provide screenshot as both the demobrowser and Firefox fail with the error 'No Javascript' (I tried to use ctrlv.in)
    • Assuming the demobrowser was Wayland native, it worked pretty good already!
    • No mousewheel scrolling in terminal (Wayland native?)
    • No window bar
    • Dragging and click to focus works...

Code:
    ksnapshot: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkipi.so.10: undefined symbol: _ZNK13KXMLGUIClient13componentDataEv
    Too bad, cannot post screenshots . Furthermore, I think the LiveCD would be more accessible if the author used a cli.seed and build further on that. The entire KDE suite seems to be installed (who cares?)

Based on your experience I can assume that Wayland and XWayland are still not ready for adoption by the end-user?

Faults like having no chrome, no buttons and menus that don't work properly (can't even quit) does not sound anything close to 'usable' as of now.

Leave a comment:

• ворот93
    replied
    Your statement is in contradiction with itself: in the first part you declare it as pointless when in the second part you just to show off what it is the point. Take a decision.
    Plumbing layer...is it the new definition of display server? :-)

Leave a comment:

• Rexilion
    replied
    Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
    There should be a networkmanager, but you have to start it manually. It should be in the panel at the top, as the wifi icon next to the speaker icon.
    Yeah, found it!

The demo browser contained some 'artwork' homepage. I almost had my Phoronix post ready from the LiveCD until it crashed . Seems like programs are not capable of restarting.
    • Most applications (XWayland only?) contain no window buttons (maximize, close, minimize)
    • Focus works when clicking, but no autofocus
    • Drop-down menu's still show up somewhat randomly
    • Knetworkmanager flickers heavily
    • Cannot provide screenshot as both the demobrowser and Firefox fail with the error 'No Javascript' (I tried to use ctrlv.in)
    • Assuming the demobrowser was Wayland native, it worked pretty good already!
    • No mousewheel scrolling in terminal (Wayland native?)
    • No window bar
    • Dragging and click to focus works...

Code:

Last edited by Rexilion; 26 May 2013, 06:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rexilion
    replied
    Originally posted by deadite66
    I wanted to test it but baulked at downloading 1.8GB, way too big.
    Chicken

Leave a comment:

Working...
X