No announcement yet.

A New X.Org-Free Wayland LiveCD Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinda pointless to create a distribution just to show off the new plumbing layer.

Comment

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
      Kinda pointless to create a distribution just to show off the new plumbing layer.
      Your statement is in contradiction with itself: in the first part you declare it as pointless when in the second part you just to show off what it is the point. Take a decision.
      Plumbing layer...is it the new definition of display server? :-)

Comment

Nice! Unstable and pre-alpha as it may be, it's quite cool to run Wayland/Weston for myself. Reading about progress is one thing; actually opening a web browser, watching a YouTube video, and posting on Phoronix without X11 is quite another. I might post a summary of my impressions soon for those not brave enough (or unable) to try it for themselves.

Comment

Whoever came up with this distro is a genious. Rebecca, ahh! Today is Sunday, tomorrow is Monday, and Tuesday comes afterwards. It's Friday friday omfg I'm gonna get kernel panic on friday friday.

Comment

Originally posted by deadite66
            I wanted to test it but baulked at downloading 1.8GB, way too big.
            Chicken

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
              There should be a networkmanager, but you have to start it manually. It should be in the panel at the top, as the wifi icon next to the speaker icon.
              Yeah, found it!

The demo browser contained some 'artwork' homepage. I almost had my Phoronix post ready from the LiveCD until it crashed . Seems like programs are not capable of restarting.
              • Most applications (XWayland only?) contain no window buttons (maximize, close, minimize)
              • Focus works when clicking, but no autofocus
              • Drop-down menu's still show up somewhat randomly
              • Knetworkmanager flickers heavily
              • Cannot provide screenshot as both the demobrowser and Firefox fail with the error 'No Javascript' (I tried to use ctrlv.in)
              • Assuming the demobrowser was Wayland native, it worked pretty good already!
              • No mousewheel scrolling in terminal (Wayland native?)
              • No window bar
              • Dragging and click to focus works...

Apps are having issue's, like:

Code:
              beccaholic@beccaholic:/$ ksnapshot
              ksnapshot: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkipi.so.10: undefined symbol: _ZNK13KXMLGUIClient13componentDataEv
              beccaholic@beccaholic:/$
              Too bad, cannot post screenshots . Furthermore, I think the LiveCD would be more accessible if the author used a cli.seed and build further on that. The entire KDE suite seems to be installed (who cares?)

Final note: Posted from (X)Wayland! Now, back to the 80's...

EDIT: Quitting the browser from within (File -> Exit) does not work (lol!).
              Last edited by Rexilion; 26 May 2013, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
                Your statement is in contradiction with itself: in the first part you declare it as pointless when in the second part you just to show off what it is the point. Take a decision.
                Plumbing layer...is it the new definition of display server? :-)
                And I still stand by what I said: it is moronic to waste time on a distribution that shows off just one single piece of software. Learn to read bro.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                  Yeah, found it!

The demo browser contained some 'artwork' homepage. I almost had my Phoronix post ready from the LiveCD until it crashed . Seems like programs are not capable of restarting.
                  • Most applications (XWayland only?) contain no window buttons (maximize, close, minimize)
                  • Focus works when clicking, but no autofocus
                  • Drop-down menu's still show up somewhat randomly
                  • Knetworkmanager flickers heavily
                  • Cannot provide screenshot as both the demobrowser and Firefox fail with the error 'No Javascript' (I tried to use ctrlv.in)
                  • Assuming the demobrowser was Wayland native, it worked pretty good already!
                  • No mousewheel scrolling in terminal (Wayland native?)
                  • No window bar
                  • Dragging and click to focus works...

Apps are having issue's, like:

Code:
                  beccaholic@beccaholic:/$ ksnapshot
                  ksnapshot: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkipi.so.10: undefined symbol: _ZNK13KXMLGUIClient13componentDataEv
                  beccaholic@beccaholic:/$
                  Too bad, cannot post screenshots . Furthermore, I think the LiveCD would be more accessible if the author used a cli.seed and build further on that. The entire KDE suite seems to be installed (who cares?)

Final note: Posted from (X)Wayland! Now, back to the 80's...

EDIT: Quitting the browser from within (File -> Exit) does not work (lol!).
                  Based on your experience I can assume that Wayland and XWayland are still not ready for adoption by the end-user?

Faults like having no chrome, no buttons and menus that don't work properly (can't even quit) does not sound anything close to 'usable' as of now.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                    Ok sorry, I love Wayland, and I like that this distro is nice way to test it, I just can't stand all these Justin Bieber, Rebecca Black, Hannah Montana names for Linux distros, I mean, I'm sick of it.
                    I'm sorry you are still suffering from childhood neglect issue's. Get help.

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
                    And I still stand by what I said: it is moronic to waste time on a distribution that shows off just one single piece of software. Learn to read bro.
                    Yeah, testing new inventions before releasing them to the general public for production deployment. How stupid.

Please, take your frustrations elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                      Based on your experience I can assume that Wayland and XWayland are still not ready for adoption by the end-user?

Faults like having no chrome, no buttons and menus that don't work properly (can't even quit) does not sound anything close to 'usable' as of now.
                      Nope, I guess it's all mostly related to the toolkits implementing corresponding Wayland functionality. However, as I pointed out above: The .iso itself seems to suffer from some issue's not directly related to wayland (e.g. the undefined symbol error). If this is experience is a hard baseline for the quality of Wayland, then (IMHO) we are almost there.

For those who want to play with the CD, it's mostly a Kubuntu LiveCD with two added packages:
                      • wayland-rbos
                      • weston-rbos

You can play with them by listing their contents like this:
                      Code:
                      dpkg -L wayland-rbos | less
                      I managed to find some more examples and stuff. Also the launcher contains a Wayland specific subsection containing the demo's (altough, many of them don't seem to work).

EDIT: You also mentioned 'chrome'. I guess you are referring to 'Google Chrome'. That is a case apart (from what I have heard) as it uses some direct X calls bypassing the toolkits. So it will take an effort of the Google developers to make it work on Wayland. Don't know when that will happen though... This also depends on how much is actually bypassing the toolkits.
                      Last edited by Rexilion; 26 May 2013, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X