Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Gets New Wayland Weston Renderer

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi Gets New Wayland Weston Renderer

After working on the Raspberry Pi support for Wayland/Weston, Pekka Paalanen has announced a new "rpi-renderer" for the low-cost ARM development board...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Pi already runs single programs decently without any sort of hardware acceleration. With improvements like these, I wonder how much more viable the Pi would be as a casual multitasking computer?

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
      The Pi already runs single programs decently without any sort of hardware acceleration. With improvements like these, I wonder how much more viable the Pi would be as a casual multitasking computer?
      The answer would be still not great..... Its much better as a small server, sensor data collector, or controller for other devices.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
        The Pi still has a slow single core CPU. If it was dual core it would be much better, but the price would also be higher. :/

Comment

The Pi in general isn't that great of a value anymore. The stupid thing is mostly all you're paying for is parts and manufacturing, considering it's a non-profit project. I feel like the RPi devs would get more success if they charged another $5 or so for a significantly more powerful CPU and more memory. For non-developer purposes, there are better systems for a similar price.

Comment

The Pi's hardware is outdated, yeah. On the other hand, official support by the foundation and community support is so much better than with any other ARM board. This is often more worth than raw hardware power.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
              The Pi's hardware is outdated, yeah. On the other hand, official support by the foundation and community support is so much better than with any other ARM board. This is often more worth than raw hardware power.
              The range of projects and applications due to the community support far out value the processing/$.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                The Pi in general isn't that great of a value anymore. The stupid thing is mostly all you're paying for is parts and manufacturing, considering it's a non-profit project. I feel like the RPi devs would get more success if they charged another $5 or so for a significantly more powerful CPU and more memory. For non-developer purposes, there are better systems for a similar price.
                Agreed, they should do a both a $50 model and a $100 dollar model, more options with better performance would draw in more people. Though I'd love to see them focus more on parts that can get fully OSS drivers.
                Last edited by Kivada; 22 May 2013, 05:54 PM.

Comment

I think it's important to remember the intended audience, it's intention is to be an educational device; one that schools can use to teach pupils the basics of programming in Scratch and Python, it was never intended as a general purpose device for ordinary people. Whilst they're happy for that to happen, they won't compromise anything on the educational front in order to make it more appealing as a general-purpose device.

Pretty much everything about the hardware was focused on getting the costs down, that's why there are 2 USB ports instead of 3, for instance. If they start changing the hardware too much they would need to redesign the board, which wouldn't necessarily be trivial, and they would also need to support a fragmented community, where some programs can only be run on the (theoretical) model C that has a 1.2GHz processor.

edit: don't get me wrong though, I've love a Pi that had higher specs!

Comment

damn Weyland Yutani

These guys are relentless.
                    They've been after the Xenomorphs ever since Alienware got bought out by Dell.

Comment

Working...
                    X