Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    That's it, it's decided, my next phone will run Sailfish
    I had already decided that a while ago. Hence it's very exciting to monitor the space for all the news.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
      "Earlier this year however, I discovered that a well-known company had taken the code - disappeared underground with it for several months, improved upon it, utilized the capability in their advertisements and demos and in the end posted the code utilizing their own source control system, detached from any state of that of the upstream project's. Even to the extent some posters around the web thought libhybris was done by that company itself." - or how to pull a Canonical. ROFL.
      WTF. Canonical has been deliberately and constantly omitting and lying.

Comment

Originally posted by talvik View Post
        WTF. Canonical has been deliberately and constantly omitting and lying.
        Does that surprise you...? I havent used this phrase yet because i didn't agree with it then, but quite honestly... Canonical is the Apple of the OSS world. Happy I havent loaded *Buntu in a longtime on any computers haha
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by talvik View Post
          On several occasions one or two Mir main developers stated they didn't participate in the decision to create Mir. And Mir is developed under CLA and GPLv3(fact: a lot of companies avoid GPLv3 in their products or simply ban it).

<tinfoil> I bet the reasons aren't technical at all. They want control and a restrictive license, so they can sell proprietary licenses to manufacturers. Google sells services and Canonical sells proprietary license to GLPv3 code. </tinfoil>
          Actually it's LGPLv3, and many companies leverage their software against LGPL libraries.
          One such example is Qt, I don't see many companies avoiding that in their products.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
            My thoughts exactly. Why did they even create Mir, if it was that easy to make wayland run on android drivers also?
            Two reasons:
            1) Control of the project
            2) They don't know how Wayland works
            One reason can be understandable, the other a bit less
            In any case, I had followed Wayland from the mailing list from one year so far, and the things became to be more interesting every day.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
              Actually it's LGPLv3, and many companies leverage their software against LGPL libraries.
              One such example is Qt, I don't see many companies avoiding that in their products.
              There's big difference between LGPLv3 and LGPLv2.1 (used by Qt for example). Especially embedded industry avoids L/GPLv3 licenses because its anti-tivoization clause and such. MeeGo/Tizen and various other projects forbid L/GPLv3 in their core and projects like Yocto have no-L/GPLv3 build switches.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
                Getting unified Android/Linux/ChromeOS drivers would be ideal, whoever manages to bring us that. It should've been Google's project from day one of Android, but I guess it wasn't their priority, which is too bad because that has led to some of the biggest fragmentation issues of Android.
                driver != driver the problem are the driver that are not part of the kernel, eg the drivers that run in userspace. This isn't the problem with wayland as it requires no user space drivers like X11.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                  There's big difference between LGPLv3 and LGPLv2.1 (used by Qt for example). Especially embedded industry avoids L/GPLv3 licenses because its anti-tivoization clause and such. MeeGo/Tizen and various other projects forbid L/GPLv3 in their core and projects like Yocto have no-L/GPLv3 build switches.
                  So I suppose that's why Tizen has decided to keep gnutls and gpg-error which are both licensed under LGPLv3+ (gnutls was recently re-licensed to v2.1+, but had up until the end of March was exclusively LGPLv3+)

Your argument really holds no water here.

Comment

Wayland is actually making some progress, perhaps the announcement of Mir made the Wayland guys move a bit faster. Hopefully we will have a fully functional Wayland desktop BEFORE the year 2025 now! I would like to see Wayland overtake X instead of Mir, but seriously it's all going to come down to performance & stability and not open source politics.

Comment

Did everyone miss this part from the blogpost?

Earlier this year however, I discovered that a well-known company had taken the code - disappeared underground with it for several months, improved upon it, utilized the capability in their advertisements and demos and in the end posted the code utilizing their own source control system, detached from any state of that of the upstream project's. Even to the extent some posters around the web thought libhybris was done by that company itself.

That kind of behavior ruined the initial reason I open sourced libhybris in the first place and I was shocked to the point that I contemplated to by default not open source my hobby projects any more. It's not cool for companies to do things like this, no matter your commercial reasons. It ruins it for all of us who want to strengthen the open source ecosystem. We could have really used your improvements and patches earlier on instead of struggling with some of these issues.

But, I will say that their behavior has improved - they are now participating in the project, discussing, upstreaming patches that are useful. And I forgive them because they've changed their ways and are participating sanely now.

Comment

Working...
                      X