Wayland's Weston Gets Color Management Framework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by renox View Post
    It implement a part of the protocols needed between the client and the server, there are other protocols (shell).
    What extra protocols do the normal applications need to interact with that isn't part of the core Wayland protocol that would cause interoperability issues between them?

1) many things are made server side: for example Weston moves windows server side (the client doesn't even know where its windows are on the screen!)
    ...well isn't that obvious? I just don't see how that changes the way applications interact with different Wayland compositors. My point was that with Wayland clients do rendering client side; They just push the buffers to the compositor so there shouldn't be much need for extra interaction between the two. The way windows are handled is specified in the Wayland protocol (creating, resizing, closing... windows).

2) an example of a difference: KWin's main developer plans to use server side decoration whereas with Weston it's client side decoration, not much difference eh?
    Not to my understanding. A single interface to ask for the application not to draw decorations like they already do on X11? Applications can obviously also use client side decorations with KWin.

I don't know much about this subject but I'm curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
      What extra protocols do the normal applications need to interact with that isn't part of the core Wayland protocol that would cause interoperability issues between them?
      I'm not an expert but I think that there are still things to do: Copy/paste? Task listing? Minimising?(Not yet part of the Wayland protocol), live keymapping change.

Comment

Working...
      X