The Wayland/Weston Fork Is Now "Banned"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
    on the other hand, Tesla might be strangely fitting ... didn't he go kinda megalomaniac/crazy in his later years ?
    Not really... he was pretty stable up until the smear campaign ruined his reputation.

On the article... Good job, Michael. People need to know that this is how he's being, they need to see the type of person he's being behind the scenes. Northfield and Norwood are dead at this point. Scott dug his own grave by being....him. He needs an attitude adjustment, a big one.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by qlum
      If this is how it goes around wayland with people flaming and getting banned I kind of get why Ubuntu made their own display server instead. Maybe they saw things not running smoothly and made their own in fear of it all falling apart.
      Whoa, talk about grasping, Wayland would be 'falling apart' because someone (who obviously in light of recent information) is trying to cause commotion on the mailing list? Something which the Wayland developers can't control in any way other than finally banning said person? Is this the first project mailing list you've encountered? This happens, the rest of the developers will simply start ignoring guys like this once it's clear they have no intention other than to cause commotion, easily identified by their technical arguments holding no water.

Only reason this has made any ripples is that as always Michael will try to sensationalize any conflict in the open source sphere, thus fanning the flames if possible while providing massive 'coverage' .

Phoronix is the equivalent of a tabloid in my opinion, practically everything is exaggerated and objectivity is pushed aside in order to further Micheal's personal agendas.

There are two bright spots though, one is that Michael can't be blamed for being lazy, he reports on practically everything by keeping his ear on the ground (subscribing to every mailing list in existence I gather) and is therefore often extremely quick with reporting on new open source developments, the second is that for the cesspool it generally is, the Phoronix forum also has alot of posters who are working on interesting and influental open source projects and provides great input.

As for this whole debacle, once Phoronix stops reporting on it there won't be anyone covering 'northfield' and as such it will fade into obscurity as by all accounts it's reasons for existing seems to have been nothing but hot air. I see nothing wrong with forks though, it's part of gives open source a 'survival of the fittest' mentality which is such an important part of it's progress.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
        Maybe we should cut Scott some slack.... he might be clinically depressed. Last thing we want is something bad to happen as a result of these back and forths. Reacting only fuels the fire - so it'd be best if you didn't cover it nor respond to anyone, Scott or not, on the subject of this fork.
        Why aren't there more people like you on the internet?

Comment

Originally posted by qlum
          If this is how it goes around wayland with people flaming and getting banned I kind of get why Ubuntu made their own display server instead. Maybe they saw things not running smoothly and made their own in fear of it all falling apart.
          It was just one crazy dude being a douche in the mailing list and the irc, and then making a rage-fork. This doesn't effect the wayland project in the slightest and certainly does not mean the wayland project is in any way poorly managed or falling apart. This guy was acting out and got banned for it by the wayland developers, which was the right course of action. Same thing would happen if some dude went crazy on a canonical mailing list. One idiot does not reflect the project as a whole. This scott fellow is simply adept at creating drama, none of this has any realistic effect on wayland.

The only reason this even got any attention at all was sites like phoronix feeding the flames.

Comment

Originally posted by Baconmon View Post
            I want to be there to see scott when he finally runs out of steam, gives up all hope, and realizes that northfield is going south.
            If he needs to realise it then it's better that he does so on his own: nobody needs spectators or commentators for what would undoubtedly be an devastating realisation. Let's all just leave him be.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
              Why aren't there more people like you on the internet?
              This. Maturity on dealing with situtions and people is a rare thing on the internet. Something Michael's post shows that he lacks. Personal emails and communication, unless otherwise stated by the sending and receiving client, should as always remain private. Its embarassing for Michael, a supposed journalist, to make this open to everyone. A clear violation of journalistic rigor and ethics.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                I couldn't agree more.
                Me too. I would love to be able to give better feedback, but "Get back to me when you have taken your medication", usually does to not give a positive response, even if it is meant with the best intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  This. Maturity on dealing with situtions and people is a rare thing on the internet. Something Michael's post shows that he lacks. Personal emails and communication, unless otherwise stated by the sending and receiving client, should as always remain private. Its embarassing for Michael, a supposed journalist, to make this open to everyone. A clear violation of journalistic rigor and ethics.
                  Thank you. I'm amazed this is only mentionned on the third page of comments.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                    Maybe we should cut Scott some slack.... he might be clinically depressed.
                    Well, that's certainly possible but if he suffers from clinical depression, he should seek professional help. Depression is a real and serious illness that needs to be treated accordingly and moreover is nothing to be ashamed of.

However, "the internet" is not professional help and it's not our, Michael's, or the Wayland devs' duty to care for his treatment. Even a depressed adult is still an adult who can come up with the realization that he needs professional help.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff
                      Wayland group is out of control. Now people will understand why they went spastic over Mir.
                      Maybe you should try trolling some other subject? Everyone expects this level of stupid from you now.

Comment

Working...
                      X