No announcement yet.

Developer Offers Kickbacks For Wayland Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott might not appreciate that you leaked his emails to the public.

But on the other hand, I appreciate the openness, transparency, integrity and having and adhering to a policy.

Some websites value hype, page views, partners, connections and collaborations. Other sites value honesty, openness, transparency, truthfulness.

Some accept bribes, others refuse to be corrupt.

Comment

The free open source software community is supposed to be a meritocracy.
      It should be built on openness, trust, transparency and freedom.

It is sad to see people attempting to play politics, marketing, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
        What I don't like about all that is publishing private mail communication -
        no matter of which quality his mails are and how strange Soreau behaves.
        I find it a bit tasteless as well, but hey, at least it's honest. Also, I'm genuinely curious, is there any law that prohibits doing that? I mean, he was the intended recipient, after all. Or the other way round, is giving kickbacks like that illegal?

Originally posted by Serge View Post
        If Phoronix was a personal blog, maybe it would be alright. I don't know how others feel about it, but I don't expect journalistic integrity from personal blogs. But Phoronix is postured as a journalistic site. As such, Phoronix can't sell coverage, as that would violate the trust that news consumers place in news providers.
        Technically this is a personal blog, at least partly. Hence why there are things like beer photos that pop out every now and then.
        Last edited by GreatEmerald; 01 April 2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
          I'm not so sure about that, seeing as how Mark Shuttleworth just left Canonical to join Apple. Without Mark's money, I don't see Mir going anywhere too fast.
          You know, I hate it when people only get part of the story...
          If you would have cared to read the rest of the tweet Mark said he was "taking the Ubuntus[sic] communities with him to Nirvana...". I assume "Nirvana" refers to Apple, though I suppose he could be referring to the news of the reunion of eponymous early 90's band after the reappearance of Kurt Cobain (damn, that was an amazing prank he pulled...full props to him).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            I find it a bit tasteless as well, but hey, at least it's honest.
            Also, I'm genuinely curious, is there any law that prohibits doing that?
            I mean, he was the intended recipient, after all.
            I don't see why it should be illegal. That wasn't my point.
            It just doesn't seem ok to me to publish private communication.
            BTW, I'm not defending this Soreau guy here.

IMHO the best way to handle things would have been to stop
            communicating with this guy and filter the mails to the trash bin.
            I _could_ only speculate on why Michael chose to post instead.

Or the other way round, is giving kickbacks like that illegal?
            Again, why should it be illegal? He does not belong to the public sector, I guess.
            Obviously, not anything that's legal should be done right away...

Comment

Name and shame

I wish more journalist websites would publicly name and shame people who approached them with dubious and misleading things like this.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                IMHO the best way to handle things would have been to stop
                communicating with this guy and filter the mails to the trash bin.
                I _could_ only speculate on why Michael chose to post instead.
                I see several problems with your suggestion,

1. if he ever would have posted a news about this fork that sounds somewhat positive, and then someone would have leaked this email, even soureou could have done it under some strange circumstances, it would look like he would be corrupt or something.

2. if every journalist would act like you propose, what would people learn out of that, just write to 20 news-sites or other press 19 will not tell about it but 1 will go for it, and they reach their goal. So what would they learn, if you dont do it, you must be stupid.

I dont understand why some people are so defendish over him, last time I answered to him on this side, suddenly I got attacked by one guy for calling him maybe in danger of becoming a psychopath, instead of him doing this bad stuff.

(he even after telling me calling him psychopath, "a piece of shit" and something else)

I get that that was maybe not the most clever move I did, still its a small thing against somebody lieing around and try to "bribe" or pay somebody for such stuff, and insulting other people, as some coworkers said he even tried to get one of them fired, that with his insults could fall into mobbing. But hey defend him because somebody says something negative about his behaviour.

Thats btw also a part of mobbing somebody, you give them the feeling that they self are the cause and deserve to get mobbed.

But to be fair the complains of calling him to be in dangeour did not come from him but someobody else, at least it was another account, so I assume it was somebody else, maybe a fanboy or something like that, maybe he knows him, if so it also fits the scheme of mobbing that most of the time a group mobs somebody else not one person alone.

I dont want to make that bigger than it is, I dont work with him or others so it does not hurt me much, but you should think twice who you try to defend with what reasons and who you attack.

If you all would at least attack soreou AND micheal for doing that in the same post, thats your oppinion and thats allowed. But defend sareaou (sorry dont care so much to look the exact name up) and attack micheal I cant understand.

Just say at least, maraou did something very stupid, but I think you should not do something stupid in response to that (I dont think its stupid) but if you turn around who is the initial problem causer and who reacts maybe wrong to a problem it really sucks.
                Last edited by blackiwid; 01 April 2013, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Welcome to Phoronix home of the Linux gossip and showbiz! =)

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Come on now, look at your calendar.
                  I didn't notice. ??
                  I guess this article is not april's fool related...

Comment

No, there's no way that many letters could have been fabricated, and in such style. You can tell soreau's writing style.
                    That is assuming soreau was not in on it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I think this is fake. It seems plausible, if not likely true. But that is exactly the problem: plausible pranks are the best ones because people are more likely to fall for them.

Whatever the case, I have a strict policy of not believing anything I read on April 1st. It is easy enough to wait a day.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      That is assuming soreau was not in on it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I think this is fake. It seems plausible, if not likely true. But that is exactly the problem: plausible pranks are the best ones because people are more likely to fall for them.

Whatever the case, I have a strict policy of not believing anything I read on April 1st. It is easy enough to wait a day.
                      did you ever get pranked with 2 prank-news on one site? I do normaly that, if I dont have found a fake news on the site on this day, I am very sceptical, but if I found one, I pretty much belive there is no other prank, did never happen that I saw two pranks on one site.

And another thing, there was some how do you say that broken porcelan with the split of the wayland project and it is only a few days ago that that happend, so I dont think one of the sites would want to make such jokes about it.

And another thing, you cant just make wrong accusations to people as a joke, because some people maybe only read that accusation and dont come to the site again, or some find the news on search page later and dont get that it was a joke.

Especialy if its not totaly obvious ("good ones, that are not obvious"), you cant do that.

So I am 100% shure thats not a fake news.

Comment

Working...
                      X