Developer Offers Kickbacks For Wayland Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
    Regarding Kristian leaving for Canonical/Mir: better double-check that tomorrow
    Might want to double-check this article, too.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Michael, imo you're dramatizing too much a simple offer of money, the guy didn't ask you to commit a crime or join a cabal, really, it's not even worth the article if not for the link of the site.
      If you don't want to accept money for such things then please don't complain that you don't get enough money from running your site.
      I think taking the money is OK, because most people, including me, are using and will be using ad-block and that would be an assymetric solution. You only have to make the article(s) promoting it short and without any drama and only when there's something interesting, like a new video about Wayland/Norwood/Alaska progress.

PS: If anyone would be paying me I'd even be willing to promote lipstick for pigs.
      I wouldn't waste my time reading this site if I knew someone was taking kickbacks to promote things they are evaluating or reporting. How could I trust the opinions or the facts? I'd then start thinking that the benchmarks and stuff are tampered with too. Your mentality is the reason many product reviews are worthless and most of the Internet is shit.

Moreover, asking for donations for a project and then using it to give kickbacks is dishonest use of the money. I sure wouldn't give any of my money to a project that uses it in that manner. When I donate, it's a contribution towards the expenses of the developers (including living expenses if that's what they need)... free software doesn't need that kind of marketing.

I wouldn't try to justify your use of ad blocking software by admonishing someone with integrity for not taking bribes. I don't necessarily fault anyone for doing that (ads can be annoying or even crippling in some circumstances) but if you were really concerned about the money this site gets, you know how to get it without advertisements.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        While this is still in the beginning it might prove useful now that Kristian Hogsberg announced that he will be working on Mir after he accepted a position at Canonical (anounced it today at the ML). I don't see an bright future for wayland without Kristian.
        I just checked over the ML and there is no such information.

I looks like FUD to me.

Comment

Originally posted by zwastik View Post

I looks like FUD to me.
          I hate April Fools'. It's difficult enough to determine what's true vs. what's supposed to be ironic / sarcastic / etc. without this.

I suspect this Northfield article is true though.

Comment

Originally posted by zwastik View Post

I looks like FUD to me.
            Come on now, look at your calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Come on now, look at your calendar.
              Stop confusing people. It was posted on the private wayland mailing list. It has nothing to do with the date.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                Might want to double-check this article, too.
                No, there's no way that many letters could have been fabricated, and in such style. You can tell soreau's writing style.

Comment

What I don't like about all that is publishing private mail communication -
                  no matter of which quality his mails are and how strange Soreau behaves.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
                    Nice job, managing to even piss off promoters / news sites by constant nagging. After all I presume that's the reason you posted the excerpts.
                    I presume Michael posted it because the guy offered to pay for news coverage, not because the guy was nagging. Offering kickbacks to journalists is news-worthy.

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    Michael, imo you're dramatizing too much a simple offer of money, the guy didn't ask you to commit a crime or join a cabal, really, it's not even worth the article if not for the link of the site.
                    If Phoronix was a personal blog, maybe it would be alright. I don't know how others feel about it, but I don't expect journalistic integrity from personal blogs. But Phoronix is postured as a journalistic site. As such, Phoronix can't sell coverage, as that would violate the trust that news consumers place in news providers.

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    What I don't like about all that is publishing private mail communication -
                    no matter of which quality his mails are and how strange Soreau behaves.
                    Kickback offers are news-worthy. I think that puts it under fair use, at least in the United States.

Comment

I also wish to add: Thank you for posting this, Michael.

Comment

Working...
                      X