Why Wayland & Weston Were Forked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by airlied View Post
    because what he said made no sense. There is only one developer working on this at the moment, the fact that he hoovered up some patches from the wayland lists and then went and called those people Norwood developers just shows the guy isn't existing on the same level of reality as anyone else, and thus I have no interest in having him change his mind, because he's not possible to interact with. While acting all sane on here, he's pming us will bullshit on irc in private.

So really all I can do is laugh at him,

Dave.

In pm, I told you that I used to look up to you and asked that you use your position to help implement eglSwapInterval(). I fail to see how that can be considered as bullshit. But, maybe this is the way you truly feel?

Comment

It's all good, guys, I'm bringing help - I called Maury Povich, he says he can be here on Tuesday...

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
        It's all good, guys, I'm bringing help - I called Maury Povich, he says he can be here on Tuesday...
        *snicker*(minimum character limit compliant)

Comment

Originally posted by soreau View Post
          In pm, I told you that I used to look up to you and asked that you use your position to help implement eglSwapInterval(). I fail to see how that can be considered as bullshit. But, maybe this is the way you truly feel?
          nice quoting,
          15:25 <soreau> man I really looked up to you
          15:26 <soreau> but just forget it, game over, you guys lose. You're appealing to the few techies out there while I'm targeting the human
          eye.
          15:27 <soreau> sorry to proclaim it so publically but please fix eglSwapInterval()

and really I've never implemented anything in EGL, so I've no idea why I'd have any influence on it, patches welcome to [email protected]

if you want I can post some of your earlier stuff,
          22:57 <soreau> you can't hide a troll too well in code
          22:57 <soreau> doesn't work too well
          22:57 <soreau> I'd much rather be the troll behind the code than some other monkey clown
          22:58 <soreau> not saying krh isn't a great developer because he is amazing, but he's a horrible project maintainer and he knows it
          22:58 <soreau> and I tried to give the guy respect and credit but he shat on me
          22:58 <soreau> so, whatever
          22:58 <soreau> I tried
          22:59 <soreau> I tried to serve the greater good
          22:59 <soreau> and I succeeded in this small thing
          22:59 <soreau> even if I have to be +q the rest of your days, it was worth it
          22:59 <soreau> it was all worth it for the greater good of the community

And on and on.

Dave.

Comment

soreau - it seems like you can still do what you want without modifying the wayland core protocol - why don't you? and based on the entire thread, it seems like you just want to be a rebel... without a cause. just wanting to be right is exhausting... why don't you play along? I don't think these guys gave you the cold shoulder - you just seem like you can't give up being right about your point of view...

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
              nice quoting,
              15:25 <soreau> man I really looked up to you
              15:26 <soreau> but just forget it, game over, you guys lose. You're appealing to the few techies out there while I'm targeting the human
              eye.
              15:27 <soreau> sorry to proclaim it so publically but please fix eglSwapInterval()

and really I've never implemented anything in EGL, so I've no idea why I'd have any influence on it, patches welcome to [email protected]

if you want I can post some of your earlier stuff,
              22:57 <soreau> you can't hide a troll too well in code
              22:57 <soreau> doesn't work too well
              22:57 <soreau> I'd much rather be the troll behind the code than some other monkey clown
              22:58 <soreau> not saying krh isn't a great developer because he is amazing, but he's a horrible project maintainer and he knows it
              22:58 <soreau> and I tried to give the guy respect and credit but he shat on me
              22:58 <soreau> so, whatever
              22:58 <soreau> I tried
              22:59 <soreau> I tried to serve the greater good
              22:59 <soreau> and I succeeded in this small thing
              22:59 <soreau> even if I have to be +q the rest of your days, it was worth it
              22:59 <soreau> it was all worth it for the greater good of the community

And on and on.

Dave.
              Dave, you and soreau are much the same.
              Painting a bad picture to the world of the open source community.
              If you did care about the public image, perhaps you both should refrain from posting such vitriol in a public space.
              In the meantime, everyone loses.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                Dave, you and soreau are much the same.
                Painting a bad picture to the world of the open source community.
                If you did care about the public image, perhaps you both should refrain from posting such vitriol in a public space.
                In the meantime, everyone loses.
                Oh I missed the bit where I've forked a project because I couldn't handle being reviewed, then posted a long diatribe on a news site to garner attention, instead of just doing anything useful.

At this point, soreau is trying his best to persuade the world he was being reasonable, if we don't reply, some people out there will go on thinking that he was, and in months/years we'll hear the story retold wrong. The thing is he's making shit up to justify thing, he's writing a version of history that nobody else agrees with.

so I should let him? because that definitely won't do any long term damage.

I understand you probably don't have much experience of open-source, so I'm happy to let your comment go, but this isn't tarnishing open sources image any more than the 50 times its happened before on 50 other projects. I don't see Linux development stopped because of it, maybe you can show me where its doing the damage with some citations.

Dave.

Comment

Linux IBM Commercial

This was a fun one broadcasted on television some years back if my memory serves me correctly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOtKZA9ri7M

Comment

Originally posted by soreau View Post
                    Freenode is useful and it is most certainly not something that should be discouraged. In fact, many of the greatest minds in Linux idle on the freenode network. It allows real people to communicate in real time, which some people find easier to use than traditional forum mediums we all use. This real time communication can incite emotions such as excitement and unfortunately, rage. Countless people have helped me through IRC. I have even helped someone diagnose and fix an automobile through IRC, that didn't know the first thing about automotive vehicles 'under the hood'. You can install an IRC lcient on any operating system, not just Linux. This is one of the many reasons I've been able to learn all I know today, and gain the knowledge that has brought me to the point I am at today. In fact, I have never been through any higher learning courses such as a university. I am 100% self taught, and I enjoy teaching others who want to learn, too. Thanks for your concern though.
                    Yes, I do agree with what you said here. I'm often on Freenode myself, even if not connected to any channels. It definitely is a good resource, but in your case, as you said yourself, it incites rage. And rage is the last thing you want in this situation, because it makes you look bad and others don't want to have anything to do with you over it.

You also have to realise that in this case, you need the cooperation of Wayland developers more than they need yours. Let's be fair, there are way more Wayland developers than there are Nothfield developers, and the former know the core protocol way better than the latter. If you just try to make changes without knowing the details, it will be much harder to remove them once they become no longer needed, not to mention that in some cases you don't even need to do anything in the first place, as the functionality is already there, you just have to know how to use it. And Wayland developers don't get anything from this at this point. Perhaps some ideas for Weston, but that's about it. Combine that with your tendency of being easily angered and, from their point of view, little heed that you put into their suggestions, and can you really blame them for not trying any more?

That's not to say that Wayland developers have any right to be rude, either. You know well that he's easy to anger, so why deliberately provoke such a response?

And once again, soreau, I am yet to hear your reasons for not using extensions. They sound like a win-win situation to me. Do you have any technical reasons to dispute that?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

That's not to say that Wayland developers have any right to be rude, either. You know well that he's easy to anger, so why deliberately provoke such a response?

The question is why we should have to work with someone who is easy to anger, we don't know what'll set him off, and really nobody does except him. Like I get angry at the Internet a lot, I've had Linus Torvalds flame me to a crisp on public mailing lists, did I just go nuts and attack back, no I tried to calm my shit down and react with some forethought (okay maybe didn't succeed once or twice). His defaulting to angry asshole got tiring for everyone, I +q him on the irc channel a week or so ago to try and get him to take a break and back off, have a drink/smoke/lunch whatever, get away from the PC, it didn't work, he just ranted about it. So in the end krh kicked him out, job done.

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                      X